Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Anyone own a BRZ IRL?

I was wondering if anyone has a BRZ and drives it during the winter. Is it even possible to do so? I've read that with blizzaks it can be done but what do you guys think?

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AOD Member AOD_VaSa1523's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    AOD Racing
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Misery View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has a BRZ and drives it during the winter. Is it even possible to do so? I've read that with blizzaks it can be done but what do you guys think?
    Doesn't seem like anyone owns it.

I have driven other RWD cars in winter and it is definitely possible, traction and stability control is usually pretty good in new cars and that takes away some of the difficulty. It's easier to correct a slide in a FWD or AWD car.

I live in Colorado and moved here from Sweden, so I drive in bad winter conditions frequently and I have ever since I got my drivers license. One thing I've noticed is that people think AWD cars are much safer than other cars and it's just not true. AWD will get you places you can't go with other cars, but a FWD car with good tires is much safer than an AWD car with poor tires. RWD is a little "worse" than FWD, but this still holds true. A RWD car with good studded tires is safer than an AWD car with all weather tires on a snowy or icy road (true even with snow tires that are not studded). Remember, all cars have four wheel brakes.

What's winter like where you live?

Homie thinks he's faster than me... AOD Member AOD_Frosty's Avatar
    Rank
    Trainer
    Division
    AOD Racing
    Status
    Active

If youre looking for a fun vehicle that can handle winter roads. Definitely reccomend the 2015-16 Subaru Impreza WRX (STI optional). The new design looks killer and has enough room to comfortably seat 5 as well as ample trunk space. If your looking for a little more luggage space, try the 2014 WRX Hatchback (last year for the hatchbacks). If you want more excitement, then the new Ford Focus RS would be a nice choice.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_VaSa1523 View Post
    Doesn't seem like anyone owns it.

I have driven other RWD cars in winter and it is definitely possible, traction and stability control is usually pretty good in new cars and that takes away some of the difficulty. It's easier to correct a slide in a FWD or AWD car.

I live in Colorado and moved here from Sweden, so I drive in bad winter conditions frequently and I have ever since I got my drivers license. One thing I've noticed is that people think AWD cars are much safer than other cars and it's just not true. AWD will get you places you can't go with other cars, but a FWD car with good tires is much safer than an AWD car with poor tires. RWD is a little "worse" than FWD, but this still holds true. A RWD car with good studded tires is safer than an AWD car with all weather tires on a snowy or icy road (true even with snow tires that are not studded). Remember, all cars have four wheel brakes.

What's winter like where you live?
    I live in Boston. Winters can get pretty bad here. Well, looks like ill need some good winter tires because I actually pulled the trigger on the BRZ lol.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AOD Member AOD_Virus's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    AOD Racing
    Status
    Active

My family has only owned 2WD trucks, and that's all I've ever driven since the mid 80's. No we don't get months of ice and snow, more like a couple weeks, but its fine. And as long as you use some good winter tires and remember these rules.

1) you can't stop
    2) you can't stop
    3) you can't stop

The only AWD/4WD I've ever driven in snow/ice was my BMW X5, and it was a little to confidence inspiring because it was so sure footed. I had to keep reminding myself, that while it would turn and accelerate and almost drive normal in harsh conditions, it still CAN'T STOP, which is why people in AWD cars get in so much trouble in bad weather.

Congrats on the BRZ, I've had a close friend that bought one when they first were launched. He didn't own it very long though, I guess the sheet metal was a little thin and he kept getting dents in it from just bumping into it. It pissed him off so bad after a few months and a handful of dents, that he traded it off.

Danneskjold Repossessions.
    Rank
    Staff Sergeant
    Division
    AOD Racing
    Status
    Active

I have no problem stopping in my Ram 1500. It's going that gives me trouble in the winter.

Remember that a truck bed is basically empty weight over the drive wheels. I.E. No downforce / grip. Even gravel can give me trouble if it's loose. Some people grab 4-6 60 pound bags of sand just to put in the back over the axle. I'd do it too, but I'm lazy.

4 wheel drive is nice. But it only works by the front wheels pulling slightly faster than the rear wheels. If you want your transmission to last a reasonable amount of time, you need to pull over and switch back to 2WD the moment you get out of the slick condition (i.e. on to a plowed road).

My name is Captain Dan.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AOD Member AOD_Scudbot's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    AOD Racing
    Status
    Active

With good tires built to handle the conditions nearly any car can do well enough in the snow. The majority of the time its how you drive. I drove in the winters in Anchorage in a RWD pickup truck with sand bags in the back and its alright as long as you remember youre driving in bad conditions and dont park on steep surfaces. I imagine a BRZ will be pretty good in snow. Nothing is good on Ice. Not even a Humvee with chains.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for the advice and replies guys !