If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Huckkfinn's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Computer crashing

Was hoping someone might be able to help me out. I was getting bad fps while playing overwatch and my computer is about 3 years old so I decided to upgrade some components. I got a new I5 6600k, Asus Z170 mobo aND 16G of ram. After installing and updating drivers now when I try to play overwatch I will get jumpy fps and it will crash on me and after a few minutes I'll get BSOD. When I play WOWS it the game crashes but not the comp. I'm able to launch both games. But once I get into a match is when it crashes. After reinstalling the games and drivers with no luck I upgrading the GPU to a Asus GTX 1060 6g and reformatted my hard drives. So after reinstalling windows and drivers tried over watch again. And once again, as I play through a match. It'll crash on me. Haven't gotten BSOD with new GPU so far. If anyone has any ideas it's greatly appreciated!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Do you still have your old ram and was it working without issues? If yes, swap out your new ram with your old ram if it is COMPATIBLE. I hope you were properly grounded when you were doing all of this upgrading and didn't zap any of your components.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

My old ram isnt compatible with my new mobo. And yes i did have a grounding strap on while installing the components

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You could try running the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool for your CPU and memtest86 for your ram. Another thing you may want to look into is whether or not HPET is enabled or disabled.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

There's a good chance that it is a RAM issue. I had a similar issue with my PC about 6 months ago. It was 1 bad RAM stick out of 4. What I did is I ran Memtest86 on each individual stick of RAM, and found the bad one and RMA'd it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

As guys said, that there could be RAM issue. Check on ASUS Support website the list of supported RAM modules for your motherboard.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Just finished the memtest86. looks like that might be my issue. one stick of ram the errors just kept climbing. other stick only got 2 after multiple passes. so going to test out the one stick that only got 2 and the other one is just trash. until i can get it replaced from warranty and see if that fixes it

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Huckkfinn View Post
    Just finished the memtest86. looks like that might be my issue. one stick of ram the errors just kept climbing. other stick only got 2 after multiple passes. so going to test out the one stick that only got 2 and the other one is just trash. until i can get it replaced from warranty and see if that fixes it
    Yea, Replace the entire kit. Even with 1 or 2 errors, it's still bad RAM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Huckkfinn View Post
    What motherboard model you have and what RAM sticks you have. As I said above, it could simply be that they are not compatible with your motherboard. Better check the list of supported RAM modules for your motherboard. It's on ASUS Support website.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

well seems like the ram was the issue. replaced the ram, did the memtest with no errors and have played 4 games straight with no crashes. thanks everyone for your help!