Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AOD Member AOD_Virus's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    AOD Racing
    Status
    Active

Default Short story about my first 3 Indycar races @ Texas and what I learned

I thought i'd share my experiences from my first 3 races at texas this week, as I have never started a race in the DW12. If I had realized it would have been so interesting I would have recorded it and made a video... guess words will have to do.

Race 1 [9:15pm]) I was definitely not mentally ready for race conditions, seeing a pack of 5 bumble bee sounding cars darting/swerving and netcoding back and forth in front of me at 215+ MPH. I guess I freaked out, and 20 laps in focused in on the weaving and bobbing, missed my corner exit and collected myself in the wall. Thankfully the only person I took out, was me. Also, I was struggling early on, dropping a lot of positions fast, and forced to run in large groups that piled up around me... i'm doing something very wrong that doesn't translate from practice laps.
    FIRST LESSON LEARNED: Focus on the track, not the eye distractions darting around in front of you.

Race 2 [11:15pm]) From doing multiple full fuel runs under practice race conditions, I know that the car can cover about 47 laps before running out. And from the hours and hours of practice here at texas, how to be gentle on the wheel and save my tires, resulting in my laps being faster at the end than my beginning laps. So lap 18+ is my window for fuel/tires and from there its just stay out and see where I end up.. and lap 20段sh, I got one. At the time I had been running mid pack of 20 something cars, knowing the tire wear is minimal, I opted for right side only, knowing it will help the car rotate in the draft. I came out of the pits in 4th, but once again I was still plagued by losing positions when I知 not in the draft. More positions gained during yellow flag pit stops from people that I lost positions to on track ended with me in like 6th place out of 22 cars I think. I値l take that, but i'm not happy, I have more but I'm not sure where to find it.
    SECOND LESSON LEARNED: I wasn稚 the fastest car on the track, but I beat lot of people before the race even started by planning ahead and practice.

Race 3 [1:15am]) Its late, my eyes are burning, and I知 freaking tired. Only 8 cars signed up for this race. I can稚 seem to figure out what I知 doing wrong, then somewhere in my sleepy brain I forgot to shift into 6th during practice laps and POOF!! I知 running a couple tenths faster OMG I知 a moron, just cause it has 6 gears doesn稚 mean you have to use them. BRING ON RACE 3!! Okay, lap 18 is my window, conserve tires, don稚 pay attention to others, I have some speed now.. soooo, just run my race. I was running in the lead pack when Caution flies at lap 17 close enough for my pit strategy to work. A couple cars in the very back and I all drop to the pits, the others took 2 tires I guess, cause I came out last. I pick off a couple cars with my new found speed.. another caution a car drop to pits and I stay out picking up another spot. I知 up to 4th, the leaders still haven稚 pitted and they are in my cross hairs. It takes me about 10 laps to safely get around 3rd, then I pour on the coal and start chasing down the leaders.. I知 gaining but not fast enough, cause I知 running by myself and they are drafting the leader is forced to pit under green cause he痴 low on fuel. The guy that was second place is now without a drafting partner and tires that are 20 laps older. I reel him in within just a couple laps, 4 laps later I have an entire straight away lead 6 to go.. caution flies.. its gonna be a one lap shoot out. So here we are, pacing down through 3 and 4, I知 watching my mirror Everyone is laying back trying to get a run on me...1 to go. I opt for a snap start the moment the pacecar flinches towards pit road 4 turns later..
    THIRD LESSON LEARNED: It takes all the puzzle pieces to make a picture.. understanding your car, understanding the track, practice, planning and maybe a little bit of luck. And after all the pieces of the puzzle are in place, here is the finished picture.

1st Indycar win 3rd start.JPG

Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? AOD Member AOD_Zafod's Avatar
    Rank
    Trainer
    Division
    AOD Racing
    Status
    Active

Nice job dude

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AOD Member AOD_Virus's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    AOD Racing