Random Gamer #32507 AOD Member AOD_House_Ordos's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    World of Warcraft
    Status
    Active

Default DH tanks, and Dmg reduction.

I've been looking at the dmg I take in the raids vs our paladin tank, and well not happy with it frankly. Do all DH tanks have these spike dmg issues? Are other dodge/parry reliant tanks having the same issues compared to tanks with a shield? Just want to know if it is just me failing (only have 3 dmg reduction CD's and I use them a lot) or if its just the class currently. I don't like my healers having to spend so much extra time with me, and I am sure they've noticed the need for more heals on me.
    The Sleeper Has Awoken!

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! AOD Member AOD_DCC70's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    World of Warcraft
    Status
    Active

As a healer that has done 4/7h on emerald nightmare, DH and DKs are both very spiky. Guardian druids, and the two protection tanks are personally the easiest to heal. Brewmaster is worse than DK and DH imho. So no it is not you, DH tanks just rely heavily on gear. I'm sure there are some tricks out there, but truthfully my best advice is look up DH tanks on our realm, find the best one and message them and ask. A lot of hardcore raiders are willing to help others out as long as they are willing to learn. Just my .02 cents.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue AOD Member AOD_Boren's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    World of Warcraft
    Status
    Active

I might be wrong, but my understanding was that DH has a lot more regen than tanks like prot war and pally, and as a result you take more dmg but heal a lot more of it up. Similar to DK. Just looking at last nights' logs, on dragons you needed 33.32m external healing compared to Barley who needed 37.31m (you and barley but I'm honestly not entirely sure if that is what I am implying it is).

Looking at the fight differently, it looks like you took a full 59.8m flat damage with 26.6m in self-healing, compared to Barley who took what looks like 46m in flat damage with 8.4m in self-absorbs and 12.9m in self-healing.

I'm kinda new to breaking down logs so forgive me if anything is off, but from what I can tell, you actually performed very similarly to Barley. What you probably are feeling is what DCC70 mentioned - DH health is just spiky. You'll never get away from taking more raw damage because that's what your skillset is built around - taking said dmg and healing it back up.