I get enough exercise just pushing my luck onypanda's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Gaming Laptop

Hey everyone, i am looking at replacing my gaming pc with a gaming laptop. I wanted to see if anyone else has done this and what there experience has been with a laptop. Is it worth it? And what model should i pick up? I my budget is around $1200.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_onypanda View Post
    Hey everyone, i am looking at replacing my gaming pc with a gaming laptop. I wanted to see if anyone else has done this and what there experience has been with a laptop. Is it worth it? And what model should i pick up? I my budget is around $1200.

I did this through 2011 till 2015 because I traveled around from one country to another. I had ASUS G72 and ASUS G75 17" laptops back then and it served me well in gaming and also in College.
    It's worth if you don't have a stationary place to stay and you have to move around and is great in replacing Desktop on the go.
    Currently I have a Custom Built Gaming Desktop and a gaming laptop from MSI. Both I use for work and gaming. Laptop I use mostly for work though.

As for brands, I recommend ASUS or MSI. Those are the best brands for the price and quality when it comes to gaming laptops. Razer is too overpriced and specs are not that great. Dell, Lenovo, Acer, HP are garbage brands even for regular laptops. Saeger is a custom built laptop but is very expensive.

Comparing ASUS vs MSI.
    ASUS delivers better cooling, better case quality than MSI but MSI tends to have better specs for the same price with cheaper case and worse cooling. So, if you plan on taking your laptop outside of your home then I'd recommend ASUS but if your laptop will be stationary at home then get MSI + Laptop Cooling Pad. Both are great brands and at the end of the day it really comes to personal preference.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck onypanda's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    I did this through 2011 till 2015 because I traveled around from one country to another. I had ASUS G72 and ASUS G75 17" laptops back then and it served me well in gaming and also in College.
    It's worth if you don't have a stationary place to stay and you have to move around and is great in replacing Desktop on the go.
    Currently I have a Custom Built Gaming Desktop and a gaming laptop from MSI. Both I use for work and gaming. Laptop I use mostly for work though.

As for brands, I recommend ASUS or MSI. Those are the best brands for the price and quality when it comes to gaming laptops. Razer is too overpriced and specs are not that great. Dell, Lenovo, Acer, HP are garbage brands even for regular laptops. Saeger is a custom built laptop but is very expensive.

Comparing ASUS vs MSI.
    ASUS delivers better cooling, better case quality than MSI but MSI tends to have better specs for the same price with cheaper case and worse cooling. So, if you plan on taking your laptop outside of your home then I'd recommend ASUS but if your laptop will be stationary at home then get MSI + Laptop Cooling Pad. Both are great brands and at the end of the day it really comes to personal preference.
    Thanks for the info. We recently had to convert our office to a spare bed room for family. So i am look to be more mobile with my gaming, even if it is just around the house. Plus, i may have a fairly large electric build because of the 1000 watt psu in it. All in all I am looking to downgrade and upgrade my current laptop. I have looked at the asus gl552vw. I dont know too much about laptop parts so i am wondering if the 960m and the cpu will be able to run games like overwatch at 60 frames. I used to have sli and run it at 144.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_onypanda View Post
    Thanks for the info. We recently had to convert our office to a spare bed room for family. So i am look to be more mobile with my gaming, even if it is just around the house. Plus, i may have a fairly large electric build because of the 1000 watt psu in it. All in all I am looking to downgrade and upgrade my current laptop. I have looked at the asus gl552vw. I dont know too much about laptop parts so i am wondering if the 960m and the cpu will be able to run games like overwatch at 60 frames. I used to have sli and run it at 144.

GTX 960M will be much much weaker than GTX 960. It will run Overwatch at 60fps but not on max settings. I had hard time running 60fps max settings BF4 with GTX 970M on my ASUS G75 laptop.

How about this model? https://www.amazon.com/GL502VM-G-SYN...ywords=asus+gl
    It's a little bit over your budget but it has GTX 1060M and as far as I know they are very close to desktop grade in performance. So, the performance with this laptop could be something around GTX 980 Desktop + i5 6600k overclocked
    Also, it's a brand new model. So you will be up to date too.
    Last edited by ZED; 10-09-2016 at 09:58 AM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/produ...aptop/dkcwf01h

I think this is what I use, but mine has a 970M in it I believe. I've never had issues with my 970, but I also never really max out the graphics either. :P