Can I have your Tots TheButler208's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Cars P71 Crown Victoria clunk

I was talking to MadPainter about my cars random clunk between gears. Its a 2007 ex CVPI Police Interceptor. I couldn't get to the bottom of a random clunk that can be heard. Today on my way to work I can now recreate the issue. If I take the car out of OD and let the car bounce between idle and on the throttle, it makes the clunk even without a downshift. So I can only assume there is play in the drive line. Last I had the car up I was able to turn the drive shaft in park, but only what was considered the allowable amount.

So either the diff is worn out, or the u-joints are worn out. Can't really afford to have the diff looked at any time soon, so I'll just have to live with it. I'm just happy knowing, with reasonable cause, it isn't the transmission.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do. J3ST3RKN1GHT's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I am an aircraft engine tech, so forgive me if I don't make any sense. But, I know on trucks they have a cover you can take off on the diff and look inside. Does your car have this? If so I would remove it and use a set of feeler gauges and check the backlash(the amount of turn a gear can make before it hits another gear) of the gears. You could probably get a flashlight and inspect the u-joints and see how worn they are.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk