Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default GTX 1070 Weird Usage in BF4

Hey guys,

This is the first PC I've ever built, so I'm not 100% sure on all these things.

Is it normal for my GPU (GTX 1070) to sometimes drop down to 84% usage in BF4, 1080p, ultra settings? I tried increasing the resolution percentage to 150, and it causes the GPU to run at 100%. So I'm confused why the GPU wouldn't always run at 100%. and just give me some extra frames at 100% resolution scale? If it has that extra horsepower at 1080p 100% res, why won't it use it all; but then go to 100% usage at 150% res. Also, I'm concerned because in some maps I'll drop to 100-105 FPS, and I'm curious if this is happening because the 1070 isn't using 100% of it's available rendering power.

Just for reference, I've done lots of benchmarks, and I've checked with other people and they said they seemed fine. I get around 15600 in Firestrike (combined score), 19,300 as a GPU score, and 13,000 as a CPU score. My Heaven benchmark score is about 2400, with ultra preset, 1080p, extreme tessalation, and 8x AA.

No overclocks.

Specs: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, i7 6700k, Corsair H100i v2 cooler, Asus z170 Pro motherboard, 16GB HyperX Fury RAM, 500 GB Samsung 850 evo SSD, 3 TB WD Black HDD, EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Gold rated PSU

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The thing is that a lot of people are forgetting about how game is optimized to utilize Hardware Components. There are many factors behind to why some components are utilized at 100% at all times and some not. It's all based on how the game is coded and configured to utilize hardware resources. Most people also are confusing this with "bottleneck" and therefore don't really understand the term of what is bottleneck.

So, it is perfectly normal that BF4 is using 84% of GPU on some maps due to the fact that every map is optimized differently and thus will use hardware components differently in any given situation. Keep in mind that BF4 is also heavy dependent on CPU. Therefore some maps will run at higher FPS and some at less. I run Metro map 140-200 fps at 1080p 144hz, while other maps FPS drops to 100-140 fps.

HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THAT: 79% GPU usage and 197 FPS? Well the answer is above.

To back this up. I personally have exact same GPU/CPU usage as you described above.
    My System Specs:
    i5 6600k OC @ 4.3
    ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC @ Core Clock 2050Mhz and Memory Clock at 8400 Mhz
    ASUS Z170 ROG Maximus Viii Hero mobo
    Corsair H110i coller
    16 GB G.Skill RAM @ 2400 Mhz
    EVGA Supernova 750 B2 PSU
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256 Gb
    SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250 Gb
    HDD: Seagate 1 TB
    HDD: Apple/Hitachi 500 GB
    Last edited by ZED; 10-14-2016 at 02:16 PM.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Floppycatt's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Is it possible it is measuring the usage of your GPU and video memory in an aggregate number? or is it individually reporting GPU core and GPU memory usage?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Floppycatt View Post
    Is it possible it is measuring the usage of your GPU and video memory in an aggregate number? or is it individually reporting GPU core and GPU memory usage?
    Memory Usage is a separate measurement unit and in the first video I posted you can clearly see that.
    GPU usage is the usage of the GPU chip. GPU = Graphics Processing Unit

To better understand how this works is to understand how the components are interacting between each other and have some basic coding knowledge.
    I've studied some coding when I went to Computer Networking and Technical Support program at College. However, I have to admit I was bad in programming classes but one thing I learned is the logic of how you have to code the game and also keep in mind the hardware resources such as CPU, RAM (didn't have to think about GPU cause it was basic programming). So, basically when you code a game you already code it in such way that you think how your game will utilize those resources and also you determine how much of those resources you will require to run the game and if it is utilizing too much then you go back to the code and find ways to cut the code so it uses less resources at specific given functions.

So as for how hardware components are interacting it's fairly simple. CPU is the boss, GPU is a manager, RAM is supervisor and SSD (or HDD) is a warehouse worker.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Velozzity's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

1080p in most situation is what called CPU bound, meaning the CPU alot of times can't keep up with feeding the GPU enough information to use 100% of the rendering power of the gpu, as you increase the resolution or turn up the eye candy, it shifts the load back to the graphics card, as you have already seen first hand.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Velozzity View Post
    1080p in most situation is what called CPU bound, meaning the CPU alot of times can't keep up with feeding the GPU enough information to use 100% of the rendering power of the gpu, as you increase the resolution or turn up the eye candy, it shifts the load back to the graphics card, as you have already seen first hand.
    Well then how do you explain this?
    76% GPU usage and 199 fps

1080p 144hz and graphics are All Maxed out

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fps usgae.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	26552

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    Well then how do you explain this?
    76% GPU usage and 199 fps

1080p 144hz and graphics are All Maxed out

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fps usgae.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	26552
    I'm willing to bet if you overclocked your CPU a few hundred Mhz your fps would be like 220+...google any video card review especially guru3d.com/tomshardware.com/techpowerup.com etc and see what all the reviewers state, 1080p in most cases unless a CPU is significant overclocked is a CPU bound situation...try it yourself lower the mhz from like 4.0ghz (or whatever the base is without turbo) down to like 3.5ghz assuming you know your way around the bios, im sure the frame rate will go down. Also you could put your resolution scaling to 200% and i'm pretty sure the usage would go up some. I mean you stated it yourself in the original post, when you put the scaling to 150, the usage goes up to 100%....whats happening when you don't have it at 150% is your GPU is waiting on the CPU to supply it information and it is most likely not getting it fast enough to really stretch its legs, not that it has any real negative affect on gameplay, just that running your CPU faster, or turning up the resolution scaling (which gives the gpu more workload on its side) balances things per se.
    Last edited by Velozzity; 10-15-2016 at 05:07 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

tried to edit the previous post but alas....

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...nt-resolutions

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...-usage.209389/

2 forums where people talk about this same type of topic...

and a few reviews

http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/29/117...nvidia-geforce in this one I quote..... "Nvidia repeatedly warns reviewers that one of the issues they may run into while testing out the graphics card is a CPU bottleneck. Essentially, it's the computer's CPU, not the graphics card, that may be limiting the graphical fidelity of your games. "

Also... http://www.pcgamer.com/the-geforce-gtx-1070-review/ .... I quote .. ":The extra 200MHz on the GPU clock might not seem like much, but with the other adjustments we're typically seeing clock speeds of 1950-2000MHz. At stock, the typical boost clock is ~1650MHz, so all told we end up with about 20 percent higher core clocks, with 17.5 percent higher VRAM clocks. It's not enough to close the gap with the GTX 1080, but we do see about 15 percent higher performance on average (less at 1080p where we bump into CPU bottlenecks)."...this is when they reviewed the 1070.

and Lastly....http://www.redgamingtech.com/resolut...uide-analysis/ ...particularly this part... "The opposite of this is being CPU bound and creates quite a different scenario and often doesn’t impact the resolution even slightly. CPU bound is a case where the CPU simply cannot issue commands to the GPU fast enough. The Graphics Processing Unit is in fact rather dumb, and the CPU dispatches “Draw Calls” to the GPU to tell it what to draw (be it a box, a blade of grass, a texture – whatever really). In these cases, the GPU isn’t the limiting factor and so a higher resolution can be used because the GPU isn’t the one that’s struggling and lowering the frame rate, the CPU is the culprit."

So I think in your case overclocking the CPU or turning up the workload on the GPU via resolution scaling balances things out.

Mmm baby, a Pringle o-SnowFox-o's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I really, really appreciate your help.

Thank you so much, seems like you cleared it up. So I'm guessing I have no hardware issues to worry about.

Mmm baby, a Pringle o-SnowFox-o's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for all the help guys!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_o-SnowFox-o View Post
    I really, really appreciate your help.

Thank you so much, seems like you cleared it up. So I'm guessing I have no hardware issues to worry about.
    Definitely no hardware issues and thanks to Velozzity for clarifying.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

What's the refresh rate of your monitor? I'm still rocking a 60hz 1080p monitor so my 1070 gets bored playing all these new games lol... rarely goes over 70% at max settings.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_a_goat View Post
    What's the refresh rate of your monitor? I'm still rocking a 60hz 1080p monitor so my 1070 gets bored playing all these new games lol... rarely goes over 70% at max settings.
    144hz

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I meant snow foxes, but did he say what it was somewhere? I didn't see it myself

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_a_goat View Post
    up your resolution scaling till it shows 100% and still consistently stays +60 fps. it will look better. If the game doesn't offer res scaling then do DSR which offers the same end effect.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I play with v-sync on so it only runs at 60fps.