If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? PandaTantrum's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Need a new Keyboard..

So, as the title says, I am in need of a new keyboard! Mine is a bit.... meh.... got it for about £20 and it done well for 1 year but in desperate need of a new one!

Obviously, gaming keyboard, preferably with macro buttons. Light up keys is a must - assuming this is pretty much standard though.

Budget is around £60-100 / $70-120

Any suggestions/recommendations?

The Token Staff Sergeant Master Butters's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you can get your hands on this: https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-920-.../dp/B003VAK16O I'd recommend it. It doesn't have mechanical keys, which everyone seems to prefer, but I absolutely love the LCD screen. Doesn't work with games much anymore, but it shows TeamSpeak and generally shows who's talking. I find it makes it easier to learn people's names quicker. Though if you use Overwolf (I dislike it, personally, clutters up the screen too much) you might prefer that.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'd highly recommend a Ducky Shine 5. But, sadly the only one on Amazon has Blue Switches, which are pretty loud and have a learning curve to use to play games. But, here's one with MX Reds https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop..._detail&p=1367 It is 30 Bucks over budget, but is MUCH higher quality than others.

http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/page-en/ducky-shine-5/ Read up on all the features here.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

love my corsair

k70 is killer, strafe is neat

Im on board a sinking ship of misfits. beerddlovliness's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I use the Logitech G810 mechanical. It DOESNT have macro keys but it is mechanical. Ive had good luck with the few logitech keyboards ive had - I have a $30 USD G310 I think it is - its a membrane keyboard thats good, and have had 2 wireless non gaming ones that i prefer more than most keyboard haha. I had a COrsair K65 RGB and a K70 Strafe silent rgb and while they are nice keyboards, I couldnt put both plugs next to each other because the housing around the USB was too fat so they would cause issues whilst playing - mainly the spacebar acted like it was being held down. SO i opted for the Logitech G810 which im loving.

http://www.divisionzerogaming.com/x40/

THeres that one too if you want a mic/headphone/usb passthrough on the keyboard a bit over budget but not by much.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hey if you want a good keyboard for a low price this one does the job fairly well in my opinion https://www.sharkoon.com/product//SkillerPro#desc
    I've had it longer than a year and it still surprises me. It's around 30$ you can get it on amazon here https://www.amazon.com/Sharkoon-Skil.../dp/B00OBPUUDW
    good luck m8

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! inactive's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

K70 hands down, complete customization, replaceable keys, mechanical keys is a must, very sharp response.
    When I first purchased it the keys are so sensitive i would accidentally move but you get used to it very quick. Also holds up to Whiskey and Coke, split twice, unplug hose off wait to dry plug in and go!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Go with a mechanical keyboard. You will never go back to other keyboards.

King of the World and Principle Penetration Engineer of ClanAOD
    Rank
    Command Sergeant
    Division
    New World
    Status
    Active

You can get the ducky shine 5 red keys at newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0GA-002D-000B8

What once was can never be again,
    What is now will never come anew,
    What will be will only pass once.
    Cherish it all.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_inactive View Post
    K70 hands down, complete customization, replaceable keys, mechanical keys is a must, very sharp response.
    When I first purchased it the keys are so sensitive i would accidentally move but you get used to it very quick. Also holds up to Whiskey and Coke, split twice, unplug hose off wait to dry plug in and go!
    The problem with the Corsair boards are, they use non-standard Keycap layouts. So, you don't have easy access to swappable keycaps. That's why I recommended the Ducky Shine 5.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! inactive's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KaosC57 View Post
    The problem with the Corsair boards are, they use non-standard Keycap layouts. So, you don't have easy access to swappable keycaps. That's why I recommended the Ducky Shine 5.
    Why do you need to replace key caps? do you take sand paper to them or something? And there is always some made in china product that will fit.
    But Ive never replaced a key cap.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Criggles's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Currently using a Filco Majestouch Minila (Mini KB with MX Blacks) and also have a CM Quickfire Rapid (TKL with MX Reds). Love the Minila for coding especially once you get used to the FN shortcuts. The rapid is a great keyboard as well if you do not need the numpad. Personally I find the MX Reds a little too light but it's all personal preference.

Also waiting for the Ducky Mini to be available again on Massdrop. Epic mini keyboard.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_inactive View Post
    Why do you need to replace key caps? do you take sand paper to them or something? And there is always some made in china product that will fit.
    But Ive never replaced a key cap.
    You replace keycaps for Multiple reasons. A. Most Keycaps use PBT plastic, which is less durable and vibrant compared to Doubleshot PBT. B. Because you don't like the font on the keycaps. C. You have a build theme going. D. All of the above.

Look at https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/ for a few hours. 99.99% of those are replaced keycaps.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You replace keycaps for Multiple reasons. A. Most Keycaps use PBT plastic, which is less durable and vibrant compared to Doubleshot PBT. B. Because you don't like the font on the keycaps. C. You have a build theme going. D. All of the above.

Look at https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/ for a few hours. 99.99% of those are replaced keycaps.
    What do you need to do to break a keycap? Hit keyboard with a boot? I never had any issues with any keyboard and never had a case when I had to replace a keycap because it was broken. As for fonts and style I agree but then again get a keyboard that you like and will fit also your build.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_CapnVG View Post
    love my corsair

k70 is killer, strafe is neat
    Agreed, i love my K70 (mx red)

You are depriving some poor village of its idiot AOD Member AOD_BritishBob's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

http://www.keyboardco.com/
    Most of them are no frills but all quality keyboards. Might be out of price range but it's all good stuff.

Edit- I mean the Mechanical keyboards. One of the best sites in the UK for Filco brand mech keyboards.
    Last edited by AOD_BritishBob; 10-20-2016 at 05:01 PM.

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? PandaTantrum's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for all the info guys :)

Think I may go for the K70... still not 100% sure though :3 Will wait until I've been paid!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    What do you need to do to break a keycap? Hit keyboard with a boot? I never had any issues with any keyboard and never had a case when I had to replace a keycap because it was broken. As for fonts and style I agree but then again get a keyboard that you like and will fit also your build.
    Sometimes the stems on the caps can break if you are not careful when removing for maintinance. Sometimes you can't get both the board + caps in one that you like. Sometimes you find a board you like, but you don't like the caps, so you buy new caps to fit the build. I like the Strafe I have, but i'd like new caps just to have the option for new caps. Also ABS caps are easier to clean IIRC.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Sometimes the stems on the caps can break if you are not careful when removing for maintinance. Sometimes you can't get both the board + caps in one that you like. Sometimes you find a board you like, but you don't like the caps, so you buy new caps to fit the build. I like the Strafe I have, but i'd like new caps just to have the option for new caps. Also ABS caps are easier to clean IIRC.
    I never had to remove caps to clean any of my keyboards and they are clean at all times.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AshawTalos's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Sometimes you find a board you like, but you don't like the caps
    I've been messing with PCs since the late 80's, not once have I looked at a keyboard and said, "I really like this but I wish in had different key caps". If key caps are keeping you from buying an otherwise suitable keyboard...you are being entirely too picky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast