Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New amd zen??

ReloadedKamel

Default New amd zen??

I read a little bit of info on this new CPU AMD is making, Called the ZEN.
    If anyone has any info let me know, Im gonna be upgrading to a 4770 but idk if I should wait for this new ZEN

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ReloadedKamel View Post
    I read a little bit of info on this new CPU AMD is making, Called the ZEN.
    If anyone has any info let me know, Im gonna be upgrading to a 4770 but idk if I should wait for this new ZEN
    If you are willing to upgrade to ZEN then you will have to upgrade: Motherboard, RAM, CPU.

According to rumors ZEN will be up to 40% faster than its predecessor, which means that in terms of AMD vs Intel performance it will get closer to Intel but still will not beat, since most Intel CPU's in the same class are 50% - 60% more powerful. Considering that Kaby Lake according to rumors will be faster than current Skylake by at least 10% that creates that gap even larger. So, potentially Kaby Lake may be faster than ZEN by 20% - 30%. Also, according to rumors it doesn't sound that ZEN will be cheap.

But those are only rumors. So, lets wait and see. I bet on that ZEN will be 20% slower than Kaby Lake based on facts how AMD marketed their RX 480 vs GTX 1080 :-))))

Do you not know death when you see it, old man? Dabba's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    If you are willing to upgrade to ZEN then you will have to upgrade: Motherboard, RAM, CPU.

According to rumors ZEN will be up to 40% faster than its predecessor, which means that in terms of AMD vs Intel performance it will get closer to Intel but still will not beat, since most Intel CPU's in the same class are 50% - 60% more powerful. Considering that Kaby Lake according to rumors will be faster than current Skylake by at least 10% that creates that gap even larger. So, potentially Kaby Lake may be faster than ZEN by 20% - 30%. Also, according to rumors it doesn't sound that ZEN will be cheap.

But those are only rumors. So, lets wait and see. I bet on that ZEN will be 20% slower than Kaby Lake based on facts how AMD marketed their RX 480 vs GTX 1080 :-))))
    It also looks like it will take the am4 socket, of which there are no motherboards out I think.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Velozzity's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I don't think Zen is really aimed at people who want to buy a low to mid range Intel cpu. Most likely Zen will flourish for those who want 6+ cores considering all initial press releases show Zen to be on scale with Broadwell E but at a substantially lower cost. Also the bit about rx 480 versus Gtx 1080. I would assume a GTX 1080 would be a lot more powerful than a rx480. Rx480 (1080p card) was never meant to be a direct competitor to the high end 10 series cards (1440p to 4k cards) considering it cost between 150-400 dollars less (depending if we are talking 1080 or 1070)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The thing I forgot to ask was if you are currently on a z87/z97 socket. If so some black friday sales have the 4790k around $250 usd, that would be the fastest drop in cpu you could get for that chipset.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You would be much better off with that 4770.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_a_goat View Post
    You would be much better off with that 4770.
    Unless he is getting it used at a significantly lower cost then no...4790k is the fastest chip to fit that socket (assuming he is on z87). Also If he were to start from scratch he should wait a few months if possible to see how Kaby Lake and Zen end up. People tend to forget that tech moves at alot faster speed than other areas in development, especially gpu's, and what was considered a flagship product 3 years ago Is now upper midrange product, still fast, but not worth it unless buying cheap because we have have had Devils Canyon (revision on Haswell, Broadwell (Which uses same socket if you have a z97 motherboard) , Skylake, and soon to be Kaby Lake release in those 3 years.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The 4770 will be a better choice financially and performance wise when compared to the zen chips. What do you mean it won't be?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The 4770 will be a better choice financially and performance wise when compared to the zen chips. What do you mean it won't be?
    The year is 2016, not 2013. What I'm getting at is there is absolutely no reason to buy a 3 year old processor unless he is going to get a spectacular deal on it. Newegg.com has them at $317 usd. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-900-_-Product and it's not even sold by newegg, just one of their marketplace sellers. Pcpartpicker lists the cheapest at SuperBiiz at $297 usd. the 4790k is $299 http://pcpartpicker.com/product/WMJw...m8064601710501 it has a base frequency 600mhz higher with an unlocked multiplier for $2 more. http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...oxed_Processor If you have a microcenter near you, you can pick up a 4790k for $269. So what I say still stands, maybe the better question is why does the OP want a 4770 non K edition unless he has someone gonna give it to him or sell dirt cheap where there are alot better alternatives for the chipset he has. Also Zen will have a mulititude of SKU's, assuming they have a 4 core with Simultaneous multi threading it will be faster than haswell (which is the family of the 4770) as initial tests show clock for clock the IPC of Zen to be on par With Broadwell E.

For those who don't realize, the 4690k and 4790k were part of the devils canyon Haswell Refresh. They tweaked a few things on the chip, main thing being using alot better thermal paste between the die and the heatspreader which reviews show gives an additional 5-7c drop in temps at same speed/voltage. This translates into additional headroom so that they could boost the turbo fruquency up to 4.4 and the base up to 4ghz. that is 500 mhz more on boost and 600mhz on base. Also a 4770 with locked mulitiplier would rely on base clock overclocking which hasn't been really user friendly since the first gen i7. Hope this clarifies why I said if the OP doesn't want to buy a new motherboard then they should be looking at a 4790k not a 4770 since they are in same price range but totally different clocks, and If not they should wait for kaby lake or zen, as zen will have SKU's in the price range of $300 usd (though not likely 8 core).
    Last edited by Velozzity; 11-27-2016 at 07:13 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

From what AMD has released already on the Zen, which isn't much, I'm feeling that the zen chips will still perform worse than haswell. I'm speaking only for the zen vs. 4770. I agree a 4790k would be a better choice than a 4770 unless a good deal was struck. Even if zen outperforms haswell it will be by a negligible margin. I'm confident it wouldn't even come close to justifying new mobo/possibly ram. Just as upgrading to skylake is hardly worth it if you already have a haswell capable board.

Definitely should just be popping in a new haswell chip in this case, for best bang for buck. However we still haven't even heard basic info from reloaded, he might not even have a haswell capable board for all we know.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

From what AMD has released already on the Zen, which isn't much, I'm feeling that the zen chips will still perform worse than haswell. I'm speaking only for the zen vs. 4770. I agree a 4790k would be a better choice than a 4770 unless a good deal was struck. Even if zen outperforms haswell it will be by a negligible margin. I'm confident it wouldn't even come close to justifying new mobo/possibly ram. Just as upgrading to skylake is hardly worth it if you already have a haswell capable board.

Definitely should just be popping in a new haswell chip in this case, for best bang for buck. However we still haven't even heard basic info from reloaded, he might not even have a haswell capable board for all we know.
    A non K Haswell chip at this point is a stupid move. OP would be better off waiting for Kabylake and Zen to actually come out and get Benchmarked in Games to see which is truly the better CPU.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KaosC57 View Post
    A non K Haswell chip at this point is a stupid move. OP would be better off waiting for Kabylake and Zen to actually come out and get Benchmarked in Games to see which is truly the better CPU.
    Amen, someone gets it. What I have been trying to say the whole time was why would anyone not upgrade to the fastest possible chip for their socket if they weren't going to do a whole rebuild. That's why I stated either go with a 4790k if on Z87 or a Broadwell Equivalent if priced right if on z97. the only reason I would buy a 4770 non K is if the OP was coming from a dual core i3 and the 4770 was basically free or very close. If not save up the money and just do a new build.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Velozzity View Post
    Amen, someone gets it. What I have been trying to say the whole time was why would anyone not upgrade to the fastest possible chip for their socket if they weren't going to do a whole rebuild. That's why I stated either go with a 4790k if on Z87 or a Broadwell Equivalent if priced right if on z97. the only reason I would buy a 4770 non K is if the OP was coming from a dual core i3 and the 4770 was basically free or very close. If not save up the money and just do a new build.
    I think upgrading at this point to 4790k is a nonsense considering that i5 6600k is $100 cheaper and is on par with 4790k when it comes to gaming performance. Moreover, Kaby Lake is just around the corner and according to rumors i5 7600k will be faster than 4790k and will cost as much as 6600k costs now, although there are ongoing sales now and it's dirt cheap now. So, better off just waiting for Kaby Lake and do Mobo + CPU + RAM upgrade, as you stated in your comment.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

yeah exactly, i think with each generation we get like between 5-15% Instruction per clock (IPC) gain, at which point eventually an I5 of a newer generation will catch up to an i7. Funny this reminds me of what happened to me like 6 months ago, I was using a 4670k, thought about upgrading to a 4790k, and low and behold I ended up with a 5820k haha. I know it was a side upgrade but I did gain more cores and hyperthreading. At the time alot of tech sites forums were buzzing about how more threads were gonna be the thing for longevity so that Is the route I went. I will probably end up buying a normal edition i7 year after next when they start making 6 cores the standard for high end.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

thing I forgot to say is I think we are close to the point where 4 threads are going to be the bare minimal just like dual core have been for ages. Not quite there yet but I feel in the next few years we will see software really become alot more multi core aware to the point where 4 cores + hyperthreading will always outdo just 4 cores sans hyperthreading (e.g. i5). For the time being though seems that I5 is the best bang for the buck for gaming systems.
    Last edited by Velozzity; 11-28-2016 at 11:52 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If he has zero plans to overclock the stupid move would be to spend more money on an unlocked chip. Not overclocking is not a rare thing.
    But like I said, we have no information from Kamel that would help us narrow down the right choice.

Choosing an i7 over an i5 is hardly nonsense. Some of us use our computers for more than just gaming :)
    Last edited by A_goat; 11-29-2016 at 09:47 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Choosing an i7 over an i5 is hardly nonsense. Some of us use our computers for more than just gaming :)
    I use mostly for work and it perfectly handles 6 VMs running Oracle Linux.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I game while gaming, stream games, render video, and host servers. An i5 would be maxed constantly for me haha

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I game while gaming, stream games, render video, and host servers. An i5 would be maxed constantly for me haha
    There is only 9% performance difference when both are running on stock speeds and that gap is even less when both are overclocked. Nevertheless, I will be upgrading to i7 7700k once it is released. And I do render video's too and my Shadwoplay is always on so that I record my gameplay at all times. Check out my channel :-) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCET..._UE68-w/videos

Take a look at this:

Last edited by ZED; 11-29-2016 at 10:57 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If he has zero plans to overclock the stupid move would be to spend more money on an unlocked chip.
    It just so happens that most of the K series chips also seem to be the fastest ones sans overclocking. Take the 6700 versus the 6700k for instance. the 6700 base frequency is 3.4ghz. The 6700ghz base is 4.0ghz. 600 mhz is nothing to sneeze at. the difference when i just checked on amazon.com was $303 for the 6700 and $319 for the K variant. Id pay 16 dollars more for a guaranteed 600mhz. Per this review the 7700 versus 7700k share the same frequency difference between the normal and k version, 600mhz. If the pricing holds true it is definitely worth it for those who don't wish to overclock.

I know that the turbo frequencies are only like 200mhz apart on each chip, but the important thing is how fast will they run with all cores stressed. That is why I think it's worth it to buy the K chip either way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast