If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! FondledByDeath's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Fps drops overtime

Having huge fps drops overtime. Also getting an error code if my comp crashes. dpc watchdog violation is the code error. My rig can more than handle what im throwing at it so idk. confused and frustrated...

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

i turned of shadowplay and that seemed to fix it. Still should be able to use it while i play idk...

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_FondledByDeath View Post
    Having huge fps drops overtime. Also getting an error code if my comp crashes. dpc watchdog violation is the code error. My rig can more than handle what im throwing at it so idk. confused and frustrated...
    Can you post more details about your system, OS and error message, as well as in what games you are experiencing this?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

CPU - i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor
    MB - Asus ROG STRIX X99
    RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB
    SSD - Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2
    GPU - Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX
    PS - EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified

running windows 10
    It happens when i play bf4 and bf1 it hasnt crashed in awhile but it would just lock up and restart itself after giving me the "dpc watchdog violation" code

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AshawTalos's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Typically something happening over time like that is either temperature related or a memory leak. Have you made sure all your fans are working?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_FondledByDeath View Post
    CPU - i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor
    MB - Asus ROG STRIX X99
    RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB
    SSD - Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2
    GPU - Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX
    PS - EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified

running windows 10
    It happens when i play bf4 and bf1 it hasnt crashed in awhile but it would just lock up and restart itself after giving me the "dpc watchdog violation" code
    Thanks! This error is typically caused by SSD or HDD, as well as GPU and is related to Chipset and SATA/AHCI drivers. When I asked for OS version I was expecting an answer with full version. Is it Windows 10 Pro or Home? It's important as I've noticed that mostly people have Driver/OS issues on Windows 10 Home.

Make sure that all your drivers are up to date and installed from ASUS website:
    http://www.asus.com/US/ROG-Republic-...Desk_Download/

Also, updating BIOS may resolve your issues, since the last update for your motherboard BIOS was 2016/11/15

Also, since you mentioned Shadowplay, this might help as well. This fixed my Shadowplay issues on multiple systems/builds.
    For better performance and to prevent memory leak in Windows disable NDU
    Open regedit
    Go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\N du
    Modify "Start" Value to 4 to disable it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

i will look into it thanks for the help

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Velozzity's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3...violation.html

one thing they say is check for faulty ssd drivers. I'm pretty sure dpc problems refer to a driver taking way too much time to respond. I think you can run this program http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon and it will show you which driver is the problematic one by going into the driver tab and seeing if any have alot of pagefaults or very high latency. You might want to read up more on this to see if it can help you in any way but It might help isolate a problematic driver. Seems that processes or drivers that cause high dpc latency spikes also could cause the FPS drops you are seeing.

Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure. Crymic's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I had this issue too. I just had to quit Overwatch and relaunch it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Velozzity View Post
    http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3...violation.html

one thing they say is check for faulty ssd drivers. I'm pretty sure dpc problems refer to a driver taking way too much time to respond. I think you can run this program http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon and it will show you which driver is the problematic one by going into the driver tab and seeing if any have alot of pagefaults or very high latency. You might want to read up more on this to see if it can help you in any way but It might help isolate a problematic driver. Seems that processes or drivers that cause high dpc latency spikes also could cause the FPS drops you are seeing.
    Well he has an M.2 SSD and that might be causing issues because it's on PCI slot. It potentially can screw up also PCI slot for GPU, thus creating lag. This is very possible because he mentioned FPS drops and issues with Shadowplay. Disabling NDU in Windows will prevent memory leaks and in general will increase performance. Also, updating BIOS will increase system stability. There was just a new version of BIOS released just 2 weeks ago and release logs say "Improves System Stability".

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    Well he has an M.2 SSD and that might be causing issues because it's on PCI slot. It potentially can screw up also PCI slot for GPU, thus creating lag. This is very possible because he mentioned FPS drops and issues with Shadowplay. Disabling NDU in Windows will prevent memory leaks and in general will increase performance. Also, updating BIOS will increase system stability. There was just a new version of BIOS released just 2 weeks ago and release logs say "Improves System Stability".
    Not sure what you are meaning by PCI slot. If he was still using a motherboard that has PCI slots he would have bigger issues besides some lag spikes especially with a 1080. I also noticed that he listed a 6800k as his cpu and his motherboard as an Asus x99 board. Even though the 6800k is the lowest of the broadwell e series (as my 5820k is with haswell e) it still has 28 pcie lanes. So given he is using a single video card he still has 12 pcie lanes free to run that 950 pro which probably needs 4 lanes at most. Heck even if he has 1080 sli it would drop to 8x per each pcie slot leaving 12 pcie lanes free to run that M.2 ssd. I don't think the problem is him over saturating his pcie lanes, its most likely driver related. OP make sure that you have downloaded and installed all chipset drivers, usb drivers, etc. I just checked for kicks and the 6600k you use or were using has a max of 16 pcie lanes native to the cpu. I don't think his problem is at all related to how many pcie lanes he has or using a gpu and a m.2 at same time or we would have heard a huge stink about this all over the tech news sites much like when sandy bridge released and the first motherboards had issues.
    Last edited by Velozzity; 12-01-2016 at 05:56 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I don't think the problem is him over saturating his pcie lanes,
    I never said that.

There might have been issues with parts compatibility. Therefore, updating BIOS may be his solution if in case that M.2 SSD is causing issues on his PCIe lanes. So the possible issues I mentioned are:
    1. Driver issues
    2. Outdated BIOS, thus parts are not working together as they should
    3. Disable NDU, which prevents memory leaks in Windows, thus no more FPS spikes and problems with Shadowplay.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I really hate how you cannot edit a post more than 5 min past the time of originally posting it. Anyhow, what I wanted to say was that the OP should be looking at his Pcie lane setup when using a single graphics card. I'm pretty sure if it holds true with broadwell E that the uppermost Pcie slot (the uppermost x16 slot, some have a small x4 slot above it) is the only one which will supply x16 bandwidth with a single card unless he was to step up to the 40 pcie lane cpu's (6850k and above) I'd get the owners manual out and make sure you have the card in the right slot for that cpu. I still think this is driver related or maybe even bios related (updating or checking for any settings relevant to m.2 might help) and not an issue of him using a gpu and a m.2 at same time. Intel worked all this out a long time in advance to the x99 release to make sure that there was adequate bandwidth to run high end video card(s) and pcie based ssds. X99 is in fact Intels HEDT (High-End DeskTop) and has been out for a few years now and I don't see anno 2016 them still having problems with running m.2 unless it was vendor specific problem or user error in setting it up to begin with.

Also you said
    Well he has an M.2 SSD and that might be causing issues because it's on PCI slot. It potentially can screw up also PCI slot for GPU, thus creating lag.
    and that sounds as If you are saying that the problem is the m.2 being on the pcie slot. Not sure how it can screw anything up unless it is a software problem, but the act of using a m.2 shouldn't affect the gpu because of reasons I have already stated.
    Last edited by Velozzity; 12-01-2016 at 06:10 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Also you said and that sounds as If you are saying that the problem is the m.2 being on the pcie slot. Not sure how it can screw anything up unless it is a software problem, but the act of using a m.2 shouldn't affect the gpu because of reasons I have already stated.
    Technically it shouldn't but it is possible if for example BIOS is screwed up or the board simply does not support that specific SSD brand/model. There is a list on ASUS website that shows which RAM modules and M.2 SSD are supported by that board. I'm sure Samsung is in that list. Therefore, incompatibility issue falls away without any questions. So, the last resort is software related.

P.S. I said "potentially" in my previous comment. That doesn't mean it does screw things up.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I don't see anno 2016 them still having problems with running m.2 unless it was vendor specific problem
    or the board simply does not support that specific SSD brand/model. .
    Seems almost as If we are saying the same thing