If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Dawncloud's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Gaijin's working on new Heavy bombers

So, several users told me Gaijin's working on new Heavy Bombers.
    Anyone wanna make some guesses on what they'll add next?
    I personally think the Heinkel 177 should be added into the game, seeing how Germany's only heavy bombers are the Fw 200 (Br 2.3), and the Premium BV 238 (Br 3.3). The 200 Condor was originally a passenger aircraft, not a bomber made for war. The He 177 was weird though, it had two engines for one prop, meaning it was under constant overheat, but I think it'd be a great addition to the German tree. Especially around the Tier III-IV bombers, since we only got Dornier 217s.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

From the little i've read about the 177 "Grief" aka "Griphon" the crews absolutely HATED it. Even dubbed it the Flying, Flaming Coffin or something along that line.

Ugh.. I really don't like that they're adding more bombers. But i know alot of folks like to fly them so there's that. :>
    Should make someone happy.

If anything it will make things a bit more even and hopefully even out the bomber players per team.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! BaronVonDelta's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

To start off, the He-177 is confirmed to be added to WT. And with the addition of the BV 238, I have the impression that Gaijin is going to follow their usual pattern of putting something out (ex. Pt-76 at tier 4) then following it up with more additions (ex. filling the rest of the line)

Now I feel mixed on German Heavies. IMO the problem is that German teams can easily deal with bombers considering how many aircraft have the ordinance to take on heavies. However, the Allied teams don't seem to pack as much of a punch. This was seen when the Tu-4 and Bv 238 were added, there wasn't anything exceptionally good at taking down those bombers. It also doesn't help that they buffed the hell out of Bombers armor around this same time. And it feels like Germany already tends to have the great pilots and planes that win them games, now they would have the support of Heavy bombers taking out bases with nobody stopping them.

On the other hand I feel that adding German Heavies would balance out teams, and at least give something for the Spacefires to shoot at before they drop from 7k to rip trying to get a kill. The defensive armament isn't too absurd on most of the bombers, its mostly just 13mms which we all know are terrible in game. Plus I see War Thunder as not only presenting a "historically accurate" simulation of war, but also offering the "What ifs" with the Ho-229 and the other experimental vehicles implemented into the game.

TL;DR- I would like to see German Heavies, but they should just serve as bombers to break up the endless stream of Do-217 pilots and offer an alternative bomber on the German side.