If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? ShadowCube's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Kaby Lake Processors

The new i5-7600k and i7-7700k have been released today by Intel. The new line of processors is a optimization of Skylake processors released in late 2015. The new processors promise a little edge in performance over Skylake at stock frequencies and a higher wattage output. The 7700k is at 4.2 GHz at stock and turbos up to 4.5 GHz. The 7600k is at 3.8 GHz stock and turbos up to 4.2 GHz. Both of the processors also come with changes to motherboards and Intel's HD Graphics (630) I bet some of you guys already looked up the benchmarks so I will give a short summary of them; Kaby Lakes beats out Skylake at stock frequencies but is get beat out by a margin of air or testing imperfections when Kaby Lakes's and Skylake's frequencies are the same.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Velozzity's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

In summary there are zero or negligible IPC (instructions per clock) improvements from Skylake to Kaby Lake. If on Ivy Bridge or Older, upgrade. If Haswell or Newer, stay where you are and see what Ryzen has in store.

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? ShadowCube's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I forgot one to add in my post, overclocking. On a Kracken x62 with only the fans provided installed on the radiaitor the 7700k hits an average of 90 degrees at 5 GHz. But a downside to overclocking these new Kaby Lake processors is that they have horrible thermal paste between the contact and the dye. Delidding a 7700k and reapplying thermal paste yields 26 degree drop in temps.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure. Crymic's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I saw this review the other day