Knee High to a Worms Ass AceBlackwell's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Sound Card worth buying?

Im debating if I should buy a sound card just to amplify anything I play through my speakers / headphones. Not sure if its really worth the money and does it make a huge difference?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I had one and for the headset I had (Astro A50s) it was a requirement to get surround sound. I did notice a little difference in normal sound when I hooked it up though. However, now I have the new astro a50s and they do not require a sound card so I have it sitting on my desk collecting dust.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have this Audio Interface.
    There is DAY and NIGHT between any sound card. Worth every penny.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Steinberg-UR22...ords=steinberg

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue AstroCat's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

For my gaming PC I use the Sound Blaster Zx, in my opinion, huge difference over the motherboard sound chip. I A/B them coming from and older SoundBlaster Xfi and the motherboard sounded super thin and noisy compared to the older Xfi or my new Zx.

Knee High to a Worms Ass AceBlackwell's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for your opinions peeps. I'll be sure to check them out.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You will need to spend over $100 on a soundcard before you will be able to hear any real difference. You'll get a better sound upgrade by getting better speakers/headset.
    Really not worth the pennies unless you have very a high quality sound system :)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_a_goat View Post
    You will need to spend over $100 on a soundcard before you will be able to hear any real difference. You'll get a better sound upgrade by getting better speakers/headset.
    Really not worth the pennies unless you have very a high quality sound system :)
    Not really.
    This Audio Interface will be better than any Sound Card you buy for $100
    https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-U-P...udio+interface

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZED View Post
    Not really.
    This Audio Interface will be better than any Sound Card you buy for $100
    https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-U-P...udio+interface
    If you don't have quality sound equipment already, you will hardly be able to tell the difference between the mobo sound card and that.
    And if you can tell the difference, it won't be worth $50.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you don't have quality sound equipment already, you will hardly be able to tell the difference between the mobo sound card and that.
    And if you can tell the difference, it won't be worth $50.
    There is a difference. The sound is much cleaner and also if you connect XLR mic then your voice is much cleaner when you record audio or just simply talk on TS or Skype. Also, buying Headphone + Separate mic will give you higher quality than any so called "Gaming Headsets".
    Moreover, with Audio Interface you can tweak sound better to desired levels rather than with mobo onboard sound card. Been there, done that. Even my crappy so called "Gaming Headsets" Razer Kraken Pro 2015 sound much better with Audio Interface and Equalizer where I adjusted correct levels for those Headphones cause on flat equalizer they sound like crap with many sound washed out and too much base.

To give you an idea how my $35 mic sounds : https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Profes...rds=neewer+mic

watch this video that I recorded without any special tweaks and prior testing. Just loaded up Audacity and began recording without changing any settings. I could get even cleaner sound if I tweaked it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

There is a difference. The sound is much cleaner and also if you connect XLR mic then your voice is much cleaner when you record audio or just simply talk on TS or Skype. Also, buying Headphone + Separate mic will give you higher quality than any so called "Gaming Headsets".
    Moreover, with Audio Interface you can tweak sound better to desired levels rather than with mobo onboard sound card. Been there, done that. Even my crappy so called "Gaming Headsets" Razer Kraken Pro 2015 sound much better with Audio Interface and Equalizer where I adjusted correct levels for those Headphones cause on flat equalizer they sound like crap with many sound washed out and too much base.

To give you an idea how my $35 mic sounds : https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Profes...rds=neewer+mic

watch this video that I recorded without any special tweaks and prior testing. Just loaded up Audacity and began recording without changing any settings. I could get even cleaner sound if I tweaked it.
    Like I said, if there is a difference, you will hardly be able to tell. And if you can tell, it will not be worth the $50 or more. If you're doing something where you need a drastic or noticeable difference you'd be better off investing in better equipment before a sound card or something similar.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Like I said, if there is a difference, you will hardly be able to tell. And if you can tell, it will not be worth the $50 or more. If you're doing something where you need a drastic or noticeable difference you'd be better off investing in better equipment before a sound card or something similar.
    But I just said that even my Razer Kraken Pro Headsets sound better through Audio Interface rather than through onboard sound card. I've tested these headphones on two mobos that I had/have. First mobo was with very decent onboard soundcard from Creative with Quad Audio Chip: Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7 and now I have ASUS Z170 Maximus Viii Hero mobo. I did upgrade my sound equipment with Audio Interface and XLR mic but left my Razer Kraken Pro headsets to use them as headphones. I have to tell that sound is much cleaner and better on these Razer headsets now. For example, when I play Battlefield 1 I can hear sounds that you can't even hear on Mobo soundcard because they are simply washed out there. So, in general you get Cleaner and Higher Quality sound with Audio Interface, as well as capability to upgrade and get even better sound down the road. And a $50 Audio Interface is a good start unless you don't plan to do crazy Audio Recording.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

But I just said that even my Razer Kraken Pro Headsets sound better through Audio Interface rather than through onboard sound card. I've tested these headphones on two mobos that I had/have. First mobo was with very decent onboard soundcard from Creative with Quad Audio Chip: Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7 and now I have ASUS Z170 Maximus Viii Hero mobo. I did upgrade my sound equipment with Audio Interface and XLR mic but left my Razer Kraken Pro headsets to use them as headphones. I have to tell that sound is much cleaner and better on these Razer headsets now. For example, when I play Battlefield 1 I can hear sounds that you can't even hear on Mobo soundcard because they are simply washed out there. So, in general you get Cleaner and Higher Quality sound with Audio Interface, as well as capability to upgrade and get even better sound down the road. And a $50 Audio Interface is a good start unless you don't plan to do crazy Audio Recording.
    Yes, I'm aware what you said. I'm saying its not worth $50.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yes, I'm aware what you said. I'm saying its not worth $50.
    I paid for my Audio Interface $130 and it is worth every penny. You need to try it first and you'll see the value. If sound is not important for you then yeah, you can just buy $2 mic and $5 headphones and you'll be fine too.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I paid for my Audio Interface $130 and it is worth every penny. You need to try it first and you'll see the value. If sound is not important for you then yeah, you can just buy $2 mic and $5 headphones and you'll be fine too.
    I have tried it, and unless you are producing content for Monetization purposes, it is not worth it. If you're just trying to game or watch movies, you do not need it. A gamer/movie/music enthusiast would be better off investing in better sound equipment over a soundcard/amp.