Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy TekNicTerror's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Headset Recommendation Needed

I am in need of a new headset, I had a Logitech G35 that someone sent me for free and one of the sides where the earphone piece was fixed to the headband busted from either wear or my heavy handed handing of it; either way it lasted me about 10 months or so, not sure how long the guy who had it before me had it.

So I was wondering if there is another headset that is similar in sound quality (more so the microphone than playback, the new headset can be stereo for all I care; seems to me most major difference between headsets is if the mic works good or not) to the G35?

And yes, I am considering just getting a new G35 or even the step up and get the Artemis headset, or a step down and get the G430 or G230; but I just thought I'd ask around.

My requirements/wants-
    A good mic on it; and preferably on a boom that can be moved out of my way when not using it.
    Stereo playback at least.
    Wired, preferably USB connected; but 3.5mm jacks are also fine.
    And I would prefer something under $50, but not near $100 unless it's got at least 2 year warranty on it from the manufacturer or some 2 or more year extended warranty comes with it.

Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure. Crymic's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

For the price range the HyperX Cloud Stinger is a good buy, though the HyperX Cloud is better.

HyperX Cloud Stinger $49.99
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L2ZRYVE?psc=1

HyperX Cloud $71.99
    https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Gaming.../dp/B00JJNQG98

Another option too is buying a modmic 4.0, then you can use any headphones you want. You can just attach the mic to the headset.
    $54.99
    https://www.amazon.com/Antlion-Audio.../dp/B00T6XUL8S

The other option is look on Ebay for refurbished manufacture headsets. A lot of times you can save 50% off.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I would really recommend to get good Headphones instead and buy a separate mic. IMHO, all these gaming headsets are a waste and are junk. You will get better sound quality out of some decent $50 headphones rather than of headsets. And you can pic up a decent mic for as low as $20 on Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-Fi...rds=microphone

As for headphones. Something like this would do better than any "Gaming" Headset you buy:
    https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...ica+headphones

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy TekNicTerror's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Well the thing is when I am gaming and on a voice server, my game's sounds come from my speakers and the only thing playing on the headset would be the voices of whoever I am talking with.

I am quite sure if I used a mic like the one you pointed out, my gaming sounds would come in even more so than with a boom mic on the headset that was close to me.

So I went and ordered this since it was cheap and I had a zalman headset that came with that before, and I believe it worked fine; if not, I'll just return it and get a good headset. In that case, I believe I am settling on a Logitech G230 since I don't really need a 7.1 sound from the headset, and as I said before, I would only wear them to listen to people I am talking with online; and I am sure that is the same mic as on the G35 and other models, so it would work fine.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by TekNicTerror View Post
    Well the thing is when I am gaming and on a voice server, my game's sounds come from my speakers and the only thing playing on the headset would be the voices of whoever I am talking with.

I am quite sure if I used a mic like the one you pointed out, my gaming sounds would come in even more so than with a boom mic on the headset that was close to me.

So I went and ordered this since it was cheap and I had a zalman headset that came with that before, and I believe it worked fine; if not, I'll just return it and get a good headset. In that case, I believe I am settling on a Logitech G230 since I don't really need a 7.1 sound from the headset, and as I said before, I would only wear them to listen to people I am talking with online; and I am sure that is the same mic as on the G35 and other models, so it would work fine.
    I have this condenser microphone https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Profes...eywords=neewer and it doesn't pick up environment sound as my Razer Kraken Pro Headsets did. Since my PC is in a living room and my wife sometimes is watching TV then I have quite some background noise and a lot of people would complain when I used to have Razer Kraken Pro Headsets. Now, with this mic they barely hear anything in the background and they hear me a lot, I mean a lot better now.

Here is how it sounds without any tweaking or special adjustments.
    Not bad for a $35 mic, eh?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I also recommend using headphones/speakers with a desk mic. It is by far the best option available if quality of sound is your main goal.
    However, my girlfriend prefers headsets and I bought her this one for Christmas a few years back.

" Corsair Void "

The sound is very good as far as gaming headsets go, and her mic is clear. Very comfortable, can be worn for hours without hurting your ears/head etc.
    https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Gamin...2Bheadset&th=1

The one without the 7.1 adapter is $10 cheaper

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Gamin...2Bheadset&th=1
    Last edited by A_goat; 01-14-2017 at 01:44 AM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I recently picked up a logitech g933, the audio quality is amazing; I'm not sure how the mic sounds. I saw a few people mention condenser mics, I have 2 high quality condenser mics in my office, but the big problem is, they are extremely sensitive.

G933:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0148...9GL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by TekNicTerror View Post
    I am in need of a new headset, I had a Logitech G35 that someone sent me for free and one of the sides where the earphone piece was fixed to the headband busted from either wear or my heavy handed handing of it; either way it lasted me about 10 months or so, not sure how long the guy who had it before me had it.

So I was wondering if there is another headset that is similar in sound quality (more so the microphone than playback, the new headset can be stereo for all I care; seems to me most major difference between headsets is if the mic works good or not) to the G35?

And yes, I am considering just getting a new G35 or even the step up and get the Artemis headset, or a step down and get the G430 or G230; but I just thought I'd ask around.

My requirements/wants-
    A good mic on it; and preferably on a boom that can be moved out of my way when not using it.
    Stereo playback at least.
    Wired, preferably USB connected; but 3.5mm jacks are also fine.
    And I would prefer something under $50, but not near $100 unless it's got at least 2 year warranty on it from the manufacturer or some 2 or more year extended warranty comes with it.
    Your best option is the Kingston HyperX Cloud 1. The Cloud Stinger is the little brother that has lower quality and a cheaper price. I've been using the Cloud 1 for a LONG time now and I love it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_iDarthJedi View Post
    I saw a few people mention condenser mics, I have 2 high quality condenser mics in my office, but the big problem is, they are extremely sensitive.
    They may be sensitive if you are using USB Condenser mic. Mine is not sensitive because it's a mic with XLR connector and is connected through Audio Interface, where I can adjust the gain of my mic. Also, I'm planning on getting a preamp for my mic which will make things even better.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I use the focusrite, works well.

https://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Sca.../dp/B01E6T50GY

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I use the focusrite, works well.

https://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Sca.../dp/B01E6T50GY

Hey, it's an amazing interface. I was considering to get that one but ended up going with Steinberg.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I recently picked up a logitech g933, the audio quality is amazing; I'm not sure how the mic sounds. I saw a few people mention condenser mics, I have 2 high quality condenser mics in my office, but the big problem is, they are extremely sensitive.

G933:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0148...9GL&ref=plSrch

My only gripe with the 933 is the mic is flakey if you leave the headset to idle for a bit. Power features disabled or not, it still turns it off forcing you to unplug the usb to reset it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Mine will shut off after a while of no use too, but all I do is lift it back up and then back down and it turns back on. Would that work in your setup?

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! BelgianWolf's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'm running the Hyperx Cloud, great headset, no USB though, but still has 5.1 surround, works with every soundcard I had.
    Only downside sometimes is the mic, cause it's a plugger , and a flexible one, it sometimes doesn't instanly work :p but that is cause of usage ofcourse.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Just received a package from Amazon and boy oh boy I was surprised when I opened it as I thought it's my other stuff that I ordered. Inside the package I found my new headphones Philips A5Pro
    https://www.amazon.com/Philips-A5Pro...=philips+a5pro

These headphones will replace my Razer Kraken Pro so called "Gaming" headsets. These where my first ever gaming headsets and I will never ever buy any gaming headsets again. This was my worst experience ever. I always used DJ Headphones + Mic since as early as 2001 but for some reason a year ago decided to try so called "Gaming" headsets and was just spitting all year until finally I gave up and ordered new DJ Headphones designed in collaboration with the best DJ in the World, Armin Van Buuren.

I don't even know where to start with pros and cons. Well there are no cons to begin with.
    Pros:
    1) Built quality is outstanding. It's ALL ALUMINIUM. There is literally no plastic anywhere on the frame or even ear-caps.
    2) Comfortable headband cushion is genuine leather with stitching on the side that kinda creates that old school image. Absolutely love it.
    3) Despite aluminium build, they are very light. Compared to my Krane Pro, they are lighter. Amazing, isn't it?
    4) Cable is detachable and can be attached both sides.
    5) Cable has 3.5mm connector and comes along with detachable 6.5mm adapter (just screw it on).
    6) Cable is quite long. It is 1.3 meter cable with coiled section extending to 4.7 meter.
    7) Sound is clean and has flat equalizer. This was the most important part for me cause Razer Kraken and most gaming headsets are tweaked and have horrible, horrible sound when equalizer is flat. With these headphones you can hear the soundtrack the way it was meant to be heard. If you want more bass then you can simply adjust equalizer, if you want to tweak any specific sound to stand out then you can do that easily by tweaking equalizer on your device. Something that I was missing for quite some time. They also work perfectly fine on any smartphone. There is a night and day between Razer Kraken Pro and Philips A5Pro when you plug them in your smartphone to listen for some music.
    8) Extremely portable. The fold nicely and take very little space + cable can be detached and placed separately.
    10) Ear cushions can be replaced with any size you like (small, medium, large). They come off very easy. Just twist in one direction and off they go.
    11) Ear caps can be also replaced with custom design that you can order if you like to make it personal.

In summary, I can say bye bye to my Razer Kraken Pro and to gaming headsets all together.

Im on board a sinking ship of misfits. beerddlovliness's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I can't recommend the Logitec G933 wireless ones. I know its out of your budget but just an fyi. The Sound is very good both mic and playback and they are extremely comfortable, but I feels very cheaply made and that I am going to break it. It creaks alot too. Not a good project from Logitec.

I can reccomend however the Razer Kraken Pro analog - the one with the separate 3.5 headphone and mic jacks. they also have one that is USB. Its between the $50 - $80 market. the chroma one is $80 - $90 I think and its the same otherwise. THe sound is good on it both mic and playback, its comfortable, and it feels fairly strong.
    I switch between both the Logitech headset and the Razer Headset.

Where do I point this thing?? Whaler_99's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Just as an FYI - both my sons have used various Hyper-X units and they have always been an awesome solution for the cost. They have always tested well at their price range. I myself use the Sennheiser Game One headset. Although pricey, if you wait and look around they are always going on sale. These have amazing build quality and are very comfortable. Being an open back you can also be away of things going on around you. The mic is excellent quality and retracts, which also mutes it. And being Sennheiser, they have very good sound quality.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Entity94 View Post
    I can reccomend however the Razer Kraken Pro analog - the one with the separate 3.5 headphone and mic jacks.
    Stay away from these. I just got rid of them - one post above can see what I replaced with.

Razer Kraken Pro biggest downside is too much bass and vocals are washed out. On flat equalizer they sound like you are in a washroom with lots of bass around. Sure, you can use some equalizers to fine tune them, which I did because on flat equalizer they are just horrible. I don't know why I did not simply return them when I bought 1 year ago. The build is sturdy, tho. I dropped them quite a lot off my desk and nothing broke. Mic is kinda ok but for the same price as Kraken Pro cost you can get a lot better.

Personally, if it comes down to recommending headsets then I would recommend Senheiser. But other than that, screw all gaming headsets. You are better off buying some Bose or Senheiser or other well known headphone brands + separate mic than messing around with these headsets, especially the ones that are coming with USB connector.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I had bought the Razer Kraken Pro before and I had a lot of issues with it. The rears wouldn't work and the mic didn't work half the time. Ended up returning it for my money back.