Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Keep honking. I'm reloading HeadCollectr's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Question for y'all computer savy members!

I've recently decided to part out a new pc. Me, being new to building a pc, am not sure exactly what I need to go with. I've put together a build, but i'd definitely appreciate some feedback. One thing i'm really not sure about is the whole cooling situation! I'd appreciate y'alls help. I'll include an image with my current build(Yeah i'm using Amazon because i'm a sucker for free two day shipping) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parts.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	27899

Can I have your Tots IMDAFASTIST's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The build looks fine, along with your cooling system. GPUs rarely have heating issues nowadays and the cooler master hyper series is good for everything unless you plan on OCing your cpu over 1ghz from stock. For general tips I recommend http://www.logicalincrements.com/. The only thing I would take issue with is W10 home, a lot of the forced updates cause a variety of issues and MS takes their sweet time fixing what they break, plus you don't get as much under the hood options as higher-grade versions, but I understand if getting the higher-tier isn't really an option (charging twice as much to go from home to pro is ridiculous).

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The build looks fine. Although, don't buy that Windows copy. All you really need to buy is just an Activation Key, which you can get as low as $30 for Windows 10 PRO

You can get it here
    https://www.gamecheap.com/products/w...gital-download

Or here
    http://www.play-asia.com/microsoft-w...-oem/13/709747

All you need is to buy that Key and then Download Windows from Microsoft Website, create a bootable USB drive and you are good to go.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/soft...load/windows10
    Last edited by ZED; 01-13-2017 at 10:23 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Unless you plan to overclock a lot, that cooler will be fine. You'll still be able to O.C. with it, just not a lot.
    The pic is kind of small and hard for me see, but it looks to me like you only have one stick of 8GB RAM. If that's the case, I'd recommend going for 16GB instead of just 8GB.

Nice build will shred everything !

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for the hasty response friends. I've taken what you've said into consideration and removed the OS from my cart. I'll get an activation key and transfer windows ten onto a USB drive. After readin' a bit on the graphics card; it seemed that some people were experiencing temperatures of over 80C. I found that the next step up seemed to come with a better cooling system. Do you reckon it'd be worth the few extra bucks? Also some people have told me that MSI parts are no bueno while others say they are. Would it be worth it to pick out a similarly priced mother board/card from another brand, or should I just keep what I got set up? I greatly appreciate y'alls time and help on this. It's fairly difficult going in with as little information as I have. I made a pc part picker page of what I have in mind so that you can better see my setup.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FPGzHN

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

MSI is a great brand. Personally for me out of all brands I would trust ASUS, MSI, EVGA. I had/have all brands and the worst I had was Gigabyte. Just too many problems with their products. Never had any problems witj ASUS or MSI, tho
    And that's 20 years of experience in building PCs.
    As for that card heating to 80C for some users, they must be doing something wrong. I'm sure that card can stay atound 60C-65C even it is OC, since MSI has great cooling solution on their cards.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

So - I'm not sure if you've purchased already - but I gave up building my gaming PCs a few years ago. It's gotten quite hard to beat some manufacturer prices and when you take into account warranties, and the fact that one manufacturer can't blame problems on another manufacturer (e.g. single place to go for problem resolution), there is a lot less headache.

I recently found the iBuyPower PC's and bought a couple for the house - after more than a year, they continue to run like champs.

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gamer...EZ?EasyBuilder

Anyway, was just an option. Good luck!

Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? AOD Member AOD_Warlon's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

If you aren't overclocking a stock cooler for an i5 is plenty. Spend that money on another 8gb of ram.

Cadet Warlon | Activision ID: Warlon Xbox Live: WarlonX

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Velozzity's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

personally unless you are using a 2k to 4k monitor I would back off to a gtx 1070 (200 dollars less) and buy 16gb of memory (should be like 80-90 usd), a 500gb SSD (you will run out of 120gb so fast, hell I have a 500gb one and want to buy a TB SSD soon) , a better cooler, and a bigger case. Think about it you get what like 20% more performance for almost 50% more price, the X80 cards aren't good values unless you just have money to burn or really really need it for the resolution you are trying to run.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Velozzity View Post
    personally unless you are using a 2k to 4k monitor I would back off to a gtx 1070 (200 dollars less) and buy 16gb of memory (should be like 80-90 usd), a 500gb SSD (you will run out of 120gb so fast, hell I have a 500gb one and want to buy a TB SSD soon) , a better cooler, and a bigger case. Think about it you get what like 20% more performance for almost 50% more price, the X80 cards aren't good values unless you just have money to burn or really really need it for the resolution you are trying to run.
    That is so true. I'd like to also add that 1080 will bottleneck that i5 6600k. Hell my GTX 1070 is already slightly bottlenecking with i5 6600k in some games.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

So what if I open my wallet a little more and grab the 16 GB of ram, this case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2ZMWBP05360R6, and a slightly better processor(open to recommendations). I kinda want to keep the 1080 because i'd like this computer to stay relevant for a few years after this by spending a little more now. I do use a 1440p monitor.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_AmbitiousKitten View Post
    So what if I open my wallet a little more and grab the 16 GB of ram, this case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2ZMWBP05360R6, and a slightly better processor(open to recommendations). I kinda want to keep the 1080 because i'd like this computer to stay relevant for a few years after this by spending a little more now. I do use a 1440p monitor.
    If you want 1080 to run at its best then you will need at least i7 6700k or i7 7700k. The i5 6600k will be fine but imho then GTX 1080 is an overkill for that CPU and you will have slight bottleneck.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.69 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z270 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($123.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Avexir Core Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($52.00 @ B&H)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.60 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Extreme Video Card ($654.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Cooler Master MasterBox 5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($61.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ B&H)
    Total: $1391.22
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-17 08:41 EST-0500

This is a much better option, and is a few bucks cheaper. You will need to buy a copy of windows off a place like Kinguin or something in-order to keep the price cheap. But this will be a beast of a build, and you have room to upgrade later on to a Kabylake 7700k later on when your 6600k is starting to feel too slow. I'd turn up your 6600k to about 4.5Ghz right out of the box and leave it there. That's a perfectly normal OC for that CPU.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If y'all are curious; i've pretty much finalized my build. This is what I ended up with(Already had the PSU on hand from a friend who never used it, I know it's a little over the top lol) Y'all said the 6600k may bottleneck the 1080, so I went ahead and upgraded the motherboard and cpu cooler so that I could fit a new Kaby Lake i5 that overclocks to 4.5 GHZ pretty reliably.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/znH6KZ

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_AmbitiousKitten View Post
    If y'all are curious; i've pretty much finalized my build. This is what I ended up with(Already had the PSU on hand from a friend who never used it, I know it's a little over the top lol) Y'all said the 6600k may bottleneck the 1080, so I went ahead and upgraded the motherboard and cpu cooler so that I could fit a new Kaby Lake i5 that overclocks to 4.5 GHZ pretty reliably.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/znH6KZ
    To be honest. You wasted money there. The 7600k is not that much of an upgrade over the 6600k. It just clocks faster. But, clock for clock, the 2 are nearly identical in IPC.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! HUMAN1ST1C's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Let me tell you something about bottle-necking - you're not going to really see it with current generation hardware if you're using it together. I.E. a current gen CPU with a current gen GPU - the ONLY time you are going to see "bottle-necking" is when you are running tons of benchmarks - and you won't even see it that much, if at all.

Bottle-necking gets thrown around quite a bit, and it really shouldn't be. You aren't ever going to actually see the effects of it unless you're in a situation where you're using different generation hardware.

For example, trying to use a dual, or single-core processor in your current build is going to bottleneck your GPU - and vice versa. That is how it happens and you shouldn't even be considering that unless you're an enthusiast who's building a $5-10,000 system that's built specifically to benchmark speed and power.

That being said, the build looks pretty solid, man. I see you changed out a lot of "brand" name parts for cheaper stuff - always a good idea, especially if you've used their hardware before. I've had some trouble with Seagate drives myself, but never with Western Digital, so good choice there.

The 6600k should be just fine - remember what I said - if you don't believe me, then run a few searches, find some people with similar builds and see if they have had trouble with bottlenecking. I think you will like the results.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_HUMAN1ST1C View Post
    Let me tell you something about bottle-necking - you're not going to really see it with current generation hardware if you're using it together. I.E. a current gen CPU with a current gen GPU - the ONLY time you are going to see "bottle-necking" is when you are running tons of benchmarks - and you won't even see it that much, if at all.

Bottle-necking gets thrown around quite a bit, and it really shouldn't be. You aren't ever going to actually see the effects of it unless you're in a situation where you're using different generation hardware.

For example, trying to use a dual, or single-core processor in your current build is going to bottleneck your GPU - and vice versa. That is how it happens and you shouldn't even be considering that unless you're an enthusiast who's building a $5-10,000 system that's built specifically to benchmark speed and power.

That being said, the build looks pretty solid, man. I see you changed out a lot of "brand" name parts for cheaper stuff - always a good idea, especially if you've used their hardware before. I've had some trouble with Seagate drives myself, but never with Western Digital, so good choice there.

The 6600k should be just fine - remember what I said - if you don't believe me, then run a few searches, find some people with similar builds and see if they have had trouble with bottlenecking. I think you will like the results.
    As i5 6600k and GTX 1070 owner I can tell that in some games that are a bit CPU intensive i5 6600k is bottlenecking. The CPU usage is at 100% and GPU usage drops to 70% and sometimes even to 60% but for the most of the time it stays 99%. That bottleneck is not much noticeable but it exists. So, given the fact that GTX 1080 is 25% more powerful GPU it will bottleneck more often than GTX 1070.
    This is the reason why I'm looking to upgrade my i5 6600k to i7 7700k.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KaosC57 View Post
    To be honest. You wasted money there. The 7600k is not that much of an upgrade over the 6600k. It just clocks faster. But, clock for clock, the 2 are nearly identical in IPC.
    If you call a $5.35 investment a waste for a chip with faster clocks and ability to overclock even further then I dunno what to say man. However, I do agree that it's not an upgrade but he is not upgrading. He is building a new system.
    i5 6600k $234.69
    i5 7600k $239.99
    Last edited by ZED; 01-18-2017 at 03:05 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

That was pretty much my reasoning to do it. Few reasons to upgrade, but no reasons not to. I do really appreciate y'alls help along the way. I change a lot of stuff because of your recommendations and probably ended up with a 60% better build for about 20% more money as a result!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I let some of y'all talk me into it. I got the I7 7700K last second. Getting ready to order everything.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NXgX3F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast