Rank
    Private
    Division
    World of Warships
    Status
    Active

Default AOD Steam Themes!

Hey All,

I was bored and discovered you could make themes for Steam, and since I use the Dark theme anyway, thought it'd be nice to have a couple of options for AOD themes, and decided to share them if anyone else wants them. It uses the Official Modern AOD logo from GuyBrush available here.

I'm shit with graphics design, so beware, but they look somewhat okay, I think.

I wasn't sure which colors to use where, so I made two variants, one that's completely black aside from a couple of things like the inbox and dialog box buttons, and another that is mostly black but uses the red at the bottom along with the inbox and buttons.

The second "Black with Red" unfortunately suffers from a grey text on a red background, making it somewhat difficult to read, but not impossible. If I knew of a tool other than https://editor.steamcustomizer.com/ I'd change that in a heartbeat, but I don't and it doesn't give that option. If anyone has any suggestions on tools, please let me know. Manual editing is possible, but it isn't easy and there's not much public documentation for it.

Full Black:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Full_Black.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	43508

Black with Red:

Name:	Black and Red.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	197.3 KB 
ID:	43509

Dialog Box (both):

Name:	Dialog.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	43510

For the moment, I cannot get them to submit to the website, and it still needs tweaking (especially the placement of the AOD logo).

Here are the skin files, if anyone wants to give them a try. I'll post later if I get them posted on the site and/or fix the logo location, but overall it does seem, to me at least, a little nicer than the stock Steam skin. You do have to download a tool to install the skins, it's available here. You then just run that program and then File -> Open -> one of the .stskin files you downloaded.

Here are the two versions I made, if anyone wants to give them a shot. Thankfully, reverting is easy, as you just open that same tool and click "default skin", which brings Steam back to normal. They're in a zip file since the forum doesn't allow files with the .stskin file extension.

SteamSkins.zip

Cheers,
    Chem
    Last edited by AOD_ChemputerScience; 05-08-2023 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Uploaded Wrong Image
    Bragging about bad stats:

Bot or not? AOD Member AOD_ChemputerScience's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    World of Warships
    Status
    Active

This is what it looks like on my machine, for reference.

https://imgur.com/RDjGEAk

Bot or not? AOD Member AOD_ChemputerScience's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    World of Warships
    Status
    Active

I fixed the AOD logo being underneath some stuff. I suspect that the offset is based on screen resolution, but I'm not sure. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there's any way to do math in these files, but I did set an offset that works for me pretty well on a 1920x1200 monitor, as seen below. I've attached the updated versions of the files for anyone who might want them. If anyone uses 1440p or 4k monitors and would like a custom one done, I can either show you what value to edit or edit it for you. Basic instructions to edit it are in the spoiler tag if you wanna give it a shot.

Name:	Steam_With_AOD_Skin_Adjusted (Medium).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	43512

Again, they're both in a zip file due to the forum's extension issues. Same install procedure in the original post.
    Updated_Skins.zip

If you do want to edit the offset yourself, it's pretty simple...

Spoiler
    You just open the .stskin file in VSCode, Notepad++, or even just notepad, search for
    Code:
    graphics/logo_right
    then find this line:
    Code:
    "image( x1-650, y0, x1, y0+120, graphics/logo_right)"
    and just change the
    Code:
    to something larger. I believe the base for X1 is the top right corner of the window, not sure, but the bigger the number you subtract from x1, the further to the left it goes.

Cheers,
    Chem