Can I have your Tots INFLICTION's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default motherboard and ram upgrade recommendations

Hey guys. Just upgraded to a 9700xt graphics card and next up is to replace my mobo and cpu. I am hell bent and set on getting a 7800x3d cpu to pair with my gfx card, however I'm undecided on what motherboard and ram set I should upgrade to?

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AOD Member AOD_BeardedFire's Avatar
    Rank
    Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

me personlly prefer MSI mobos since i feel they have been the most stable ones, the 7800x3d is AM5 socket so you are gonna have to go DDR5 ram. Ryzen 7000 CPUs is so new and different socket so older hardware isnt compatible, unless its DDR5 and a AM5 socket mobo (fans, psu so on is still supported if you have good enough from before)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Sweet, thanks. I will probably be going with at least a 32gb 6200 ddr5 kit so no issues on that

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Basically go with b650e as it's the happy medium. X670 is just pointless for every 7000 series CPU. Ridiculously overbuilt for no reason because these chips don't use much power. Asrock has by far the best bios support for am5. Gigabyte is 2nd. MSI and ASUS still have a bunch of issues with boot times or posting to bios with xmp/expo enabled. B650e steel legend or pg are great boards from asrock. Memory just go with expo kit that's 6000 or 6200 that has c30 or c32 timings. I lean towards g.skill. The "E" at the end of b650 means it support pcie 5.0. Regular b650 is only pcie 4.0. You won't see a difference between either now but future proofing wouldn't hurt considering this platform will likely support 3-4 generations of CPUs.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Fantastic info. Thank you I have a gigabyte board currently and have had zero issues the last three years. I will look into both of those options

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Np. Hope to see pics when it's all done.