Thread: Resources

Plan C AOD Member Snake Champion, Asteroids Champion, Jewel Thief Champion AOD_Markyle's Avatar
    Private First Class
    Jedi Knight

School Resources

I made this thread for the purpose of compiling a list of tutorials/guides/forums for Photoshop/other design applications. I would love if anyone who views the art museum to post your favorite tutorials/guides that you have found. Anything from wallpaper design to signature creation.

If successful I will get an admin to move people's guides to the original post. When watching a tutorial I strongly urge everyone to be open minded about everything they show. While you are watching a person do one thing...try to think in your mind about where else you can apply this information to. Always go above and beyond what you think you can accomplish, or that is possible. Don't let minimum requirements ever stop you.

Deke's Photoshop Top 40
    It doesn't really matter where you start with these tutorials. Just go through them at your own pace and try multiple projects for each video. These basic essential guides are perfect for beginners and anyone needing a refreshment course on Photoshop. He starts at 40, and counts down to 1.

I really enjoyed following along with this tutorial. It gives really good techniques for Typography in this tutorial. The iceflowstudios channel has many other high quality guides available other than the one that is linked. Check them all out.

Disclaimer: He mostly uses CS6 for his guides. Most if not all can be achieved in earlier versions so don't worry if you don't have it.

Adobe Photoshop User Manual CS5
    Before I found the user manual for Photoshop I had a lot of problems finding handy guides. Occasionally I would find a good video to watch or a forum post to read, but nothing has had more of an impact on what I have learned than the user manual. It is the BEST resource I have used so far. It teaches you everything you need to know about Photoshop in a simple easy manner that anybody can follow. All of the terms you have wondered about or keyboard shortcuts are all in this manual.

This is the Youtube chanel for Proko. Stan Prokopenko is a great teacher online for learning how to draw. His focus at the moment is teaching gesture drawing. If you're interested in learning traditional style drawing or any drawing at all this is a great place to start. If you're serious about drawing I strongly recommend his Course. It's $79.00 USD the last time I checked and grants you access to a mass amount of tutorials and examples. This is a great place to start if you are new to drawing as well. Tools you need for this are paper and pencils.

Wallbase is a great site to find high resolution wallpapers. You can use these images to create your own wallpapers, or use part of them for signatures. Whenever you want to search for high quality, and high resolution images this is a good place to start.

50 Amazing Photoshop Text Effects Tutorials
    I strongly suggest to go through a lot of these tutorials and find some similar tutorials elsewhere online on high quality text effects. It's not important to learn exactly how to achieve some of these, but it's intended to open your eyes for doing these on your own.

CG Society
    This is basically where all of the pro computer graphic artists hang out. It's a good place to look and examine how people do certain things, and to read what people like and enjoy. There are tutorials, and guides in their forums, and they offer paid courses.

I have watched a few tutorials from this Youtube channel. Browse this channel to find some unique high quality designs.

Free fonts to download.

Urban Fonts
    Free fonts to download.

1001 Fonts

Free fonts to download.

*Fonts are extremely important when creating more unique and specialized/particular designs*

Again, please post any useful tutorials, guides, or forums that you have discovered.
    These are just the tip of the iceberg for resources, and I need help making the list longer. If anyone has any questions concerning anything in the tutorials, or where to find information on a particular website or any question at all for that matter, private message me on the forums, and I will respond to you quickly.

Click here to Private Message
    Last edited by AOD_Markyle; 06-03-2014 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Updated