The Token Staff Sergeant Master Butters's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Am I being bottlenecked?

This is something I have been trying to figure out for a few months now.

Here is my build:

AMD Vishera 8350 (OC'd to 4.7ghz currently) with a Corsair H100i Liquid Cooling system
    2x GTX 680 4gb SLI
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z motherboard
    16gb RAM (I think it's at 1566mhz right now)
    Windows 7 on an SSD (Plus a couple games)
    850 Watt PSU
    Corsair 650D case

Whenever I play games, my FPS seems to fluctuate wildly at times. In BF4 I see my FPS go anywhere from 40-90 depending on what's going on and what map I'm on. In LoL my FPS goes anywhere from 30-120 depending on the mode I'm playing. In Skyrim my FPS is almost a static 60, with occasional drops into the 30's depending on what I'm looking at. I know my setup isn't absolute top-of-the-line or anything, but I honestly feel like I should be getting more out of it. Overall it's never very static.

I have people tell me that they have static FPS in these games and they don't have as good hardware as I have. I just can't figure out why I'm being sucked down with this build. I know with BF4, I'd get better FPS if I upgraded to Windows 8, which I'll probably do in the next couple of months. I've considered upgrading to the new GTX 780Ti's or something, but I've read that 2 680's should beat out a single 780Ti.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Tzamen's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Can you do a benchmark? Seems normal to me.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Tzamen View Post
    Can you do a benchmark? Seems normal to me.
    So my FPS fluctuations are normal?

What benchmark should I use?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Rainbow Dash View Post
    So my FPS fluctuations are normal?

What benchmark should I use?
    First, undo your overclock GPU and CPU. Then download 3Dmark http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark.
    Do a benchmark and it will show your result online. Your score should be around 10-11K+.

If it seems normal try to stress test your cpu overclocked or not with occt http://www.ocbase.com/ during 1 hour (3h or 4h recommended).
    If it returns no error, your CPU or GPU is not your issue.

Now time to make your SSD suffer. Download HD tune pro free trial. http://www.hdtune.com/
    Do the benchmark and send me a picture.

Nothing? try to uninstall driver, use beta, etc..

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Symthic's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Your computer is very high spec and I'm getting better frame rates on LoL with a 6870, a fairly dated card while you have two of the third or fourth fastest GPU's in the world. There's definitely something holding you back, but the only thing that I can really think of is throttling due to temperature or incompatibility with SLI

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Symthic View Post
    Your computer is very high spec and I'm getting better frame rates on LoL with a 6870, a fairly dated card while you have two of the third or fourth fastest GPU's in the world. There's definitely something holding you back, but the only thing that I can really think of is throttling due to temperature or incompatibility with SLI

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    I don't understand why either of those would affect me. My temps are anywhere between 30C and 45C depending on whether I remember to turn the graphics card's fans all the way up. And even when I just use a single card, I have similar results. I expected to have a much larger increase in performance when I bought my second graphics card, and I haven't noticed one at all. Hell, when I reinstalled Windows in December I forgot to re enable SLI and didn't even notice it was off until last month. Hardly made a difference at all.

Also my 3D Mark test thingy:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/2436887

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I compared my results to someone who has a similar setup to mine, and his score was MUCH better than mine. Only differences are that he has less memory on his graphics cards (He has 2 680 2gbs, whereas I have 2 680 4gbs), my clock is slightly lower than his (By like, 100mhz memory clock), his CPU is 0.1ghz faster than mine (He's at 4.8ghz to my 4.7ghz), and his 16gbs of RAM is spread out over 4 sticks of RAM (I have 2 8gb sticks).

So that pretty much settles it for me that something is wrong with my system. On the Fire Strike benchmark, he got 10774 and I received a measly 7844 (May not be terrible, but considering we have almost identical systems, this bugs the hell out of me)

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/1609490/fs/1702834

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

What type of internet do you have and whats average speed at low and peak times?

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain Otis's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Am I being bottlenecked?

I'm at work so I can't get into all of my observations. But to hit on a couple. Your memory should at a minimum be running at 1600mhz or 1866. You will have to set that in your bios. You have posted some great specs of your hardware but what brand of hardware is it and give us some more details on it, how many cuda cores etc. does your vid cards have. Also whoever told you that upgrading to Windows 8 would boost for is simply mad crazy.

Guys and gals, if he posts his brand of hardware please don't start bashing. it won't be productive in helping him.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Kc2000's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Try turning V-Sync on; it should help to normalize your frame rates. Also, most games are unable to utilize multi-core processing, which could also be causing some headaches.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'll list the brands to the best of my knowledge:

Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z motherboard
    EVGA GTX 680 (2 4gb versions) one is a Classified edition, the other is a regular version. The Classified edition is a refurb.
    AMD Vishera CPU
    G.Skill Trident X series 8gb (x2) 1866mhz (I had it underclocked because of my OC'd CPU. I OC'd the FSB instead of the multiplier, but I changed that now. Now I'm at 1866mhz again)
    Crucial SSD
    SeaGate 850W Bronze series PSU

This should be the info for the Classified 680 I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130964

I can't find the info for the regular one, but I think it's about the same. I think the biggest difference is the speed of the Classified is a little faster, however since their SLI'd they're running at stock speeds.

Looked at my nVidia control panel and saw they are virtually the same. Only difference is the graphics core clock is 1110MHz on the Classified and the regular is 1019MHz. They both have 1536 CUDA cores. And both have the 332.21 drivers.

What type of internet do you have and whats average speed at low and peak times?
    Not too sure why that would matter, since some of the games I play are singleplayer, but my internet is DSL I think. My download speeds are around 1MB a second and my upload speeds aren't too good. I don't recall what they are off the top of my head.
    Last edited by Master Butters; 02-12-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Can you download cinebench and run the 64 bit version? http://http.maxon.net/pub/benchmarks/CINEBENCH_R15.zip

I want to get an idea of your CPU performance, if possible, do both the single and multi threaded test.

try running a few games which have the FPS issues, then using GPUz http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ monitor the GPU usage and block speed (make sure it is updating in the background)

This will make it easier to tell if there is any running process causing issues, and also if the videocard is performing properly as well as clocking properly.

from looking at your 3dmark, something is very wrong with your scores. you should be getting twice that.

My videocard is about half the speed as 1 of your 680's, and for some reason you are only scoring a little higher than I am on the GPU intensive benchmarks.

Here is mine http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/2321352

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/1620006/fs/1702834 (comparison of your score to mine)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

grrrr, annoying 5 minute edit time limit.

We will have to benchmark each item individually, to find out what is under performing. afterwards, we can better track the issue down. If you have time, we can probably also work on this over ventrillo, or skype if needed, as a lot of testing will need to be done.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

So I did some testing with Cinebench and these are the results:

OpenGL: 98.81 FPS

CPU: 758 CB
    CPU (Single-Core): 114 CB
    MP ratio: 6.66

So it's my CPU that's falling short then?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

8320 here : Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cinebench-1.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	10331 Not mine.

And your score is better. I think it's one of your GTX card the problem.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Your CPU is performing normally, so we can rule that out, now i is time to move onto the videocard.

launch 2 copies of GPUz and make sure each has a different card selected in the dropdown menu

Now download and run the heaven benchmark http://unigine.com/products/heaven/download/

no need to run the full benchmark as it can take around 10 minutes, but if you choose to do so, on extreme, you should be getting a final score of around 120FPS+

but the real reason for this test is to ensure that both cards are matching clock speeds exactly.

if they are, and performance is still low, we can look into other things using aida64

http://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extreme420zip

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

grrr, edit strikes again, for unigine heaven, run it at 1080p if possible, and use the ultra preset which should do extreme tessellation. This should also cause both cards to reach their max boost clock speed.

for a correction, everything maxed out should get 90-100FPS on a 680 in SLI, and normal tessellation should give around 120FPS
    Last edited by Mokona512; 02-12-2014 at 05:04 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Scores from the Heaven Benchmark:

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

FPS:
    Score:

Min FPS:

Max FPS:

Settings

Render:
    Direct3D11

Mode:
    1920x1064 8xAA windowed

Preset
    Custom

Quality
    Ultra

Tessellation:
    Extreme

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

can you run it in full screen, for a little while, then alt tab out into gpuz? it may be good to get a screenshot of both GPUz windows in order to more accurately compare the clock speeds from the sensor tab

SLI requires both cards to have the same GPU and memory clock speed to perform properly. SLI also prefers full screen in most games.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The GPU core clocks differ on my two cards. The regular 680 is at 1019MHz and the Classified version is at 1110MHz.

I ran Heaven again, and overclocked my weaker GPU +91 core clock. This is GPU-Z during the benchmark:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Me.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	10332
    Last edited by Master Butters; 02-12-2014 at 07:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast