"Every day is a beautiful day" Elwood P. Dowd PapaPnut's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Vent online presence question

After the very well organized and presented orientation ( thank you very much chrisix ) and listening to last months general meeting both stressed the importance/requirement to be on Vent if you are in game. I agree and am used to using Teamspeak whenever I'm simracing, it's an important communication tool and makes the entire online gaming experience more enjoyable for everyone. I have a unique situation that I would like some input/advice on.

I have 3 gaming rigs in my house, my simracing rig and main flying rig is in my den and being on Vent when using these is no problem. I also have a smaller gaming rig with a swing in table next to my comfy chair in the family room. Through our 28 years of marriage my wife and I always watch 1 or 2 movies together after dinner. We discuss the day's events, she does stuff on her laptop and I often play games on my comfy chair rig. So here's the problem, I use one sided headphones so I can hear game sounds and still listen to the movie and talk with my wife. I have a keyboard and use typed game chat for in game communication. However, there is no way for me to have the microphone active and talk on Vent during this time. Trust me it would piss her off and I want to make it to 29 years married alive

So my question is what should I do? The best solution I can come up with is to go on Vent and mute the microphone. I could hear what's going on, but only communicate through typed chat. However, unlike Teamspeak, there doesn't seem to be any visible indicator that a persons mic is muted. It's likely to confuse people at first but eventually people will know that if I'm on between the hours of 7:00 and 10:30PM Pacific time that my mic is muted and I can hear, but can only respond with text.

I'm looking for feedback/comments/suggestions/official ruling from officers or anyone on how I should handle "Vent during movie time"

Thx a zillion

Remember that one time at Band Camp? Aviation21's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You can use the "Comment" feature in Vent to state your Mic is muted.

It's kind of tough for others to constantly type you replies and stuff but those who need to keep it quiet on their end do it this way.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thx for the quick response. I don't need to have people communicate to me via text because I have the 1 sided headphones active and can hear everything, it's just that I can only respond via text during this time.

Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! AOD Member AOD_Blankwindow's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

yeah papa. I'm the same with my wife as far as watching stuff while playing.

When I do so I just put on my headphone and use text to talk and put mic muted in my comment or just tell the people in channel. They will still talk to you and you can type back\communicate with in game commands (which cover most things)

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes DaddyWabbit's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Just remember any RL situation out weighs gaming requirements.

You can either be logged into Ventrillo in the quiet area at the bottom (however it may kick you after some time) or just hop in a channel and type something in your ventrillo comment..

that you are unable to talk ...

i.e. watching tv, mic muted but I can hear you , etc... or even AFK..

The main thing we look for, is that if we see your name in game we like to see you name in vent...habitual non vent users eventually get removed after a few warnings.

For the most part we all have RL commitments that sometimes prevent talking/listening in vent. Just log it in and type a comment seems to work best for most.

In game just use the SQUAD CHAT function in matches ,you can cycle in match chat groups with TAB.

and In the hangar you can chat in AOD chat channel or Squad chat channel, when needed

DW

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for all the Vent tips. I've only used TeamSpeak in the past and was not aware of the comment capability. I'm a huge supporter of the real time voice communication and if I'm in game, I'll be on Vent.

Had my first flyouts with AOD members today. Squaded up with 3 others and flew about 6 or 7 realistic battle missions. What a great experience, so much more fun that flying alone with people you don't know against people you don't know. It was an absolute blast. It's so nice to have found a well organized, friendly, sportsmanship minded home in the skies.