Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Indiegogo: A plug for my friend

...Wait, no, not that kind of plug.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/casual-quest

There we go. Yeah I used to play this little game called Casual Quest on a scrappy game engine called BYOND. It was a sort of Zelda'ish game where you and 4 other players team up to defeat waves of enemies on different maps. As you cleared the maps, you would go to new areas and fight tougher and BIGGER enemies.

Every so many waves you get a 'Card' which asks you a roleplaying question. Like, A bandit stops you and asks for all of your gold. Do you: Fight or Laugh. If you chose fight, you would get a KNIGHT card, assuming you had no cards you would become a tier 1 knight. Laughing at him would give you a ROGUE card, making you an archer.

But you could also mix cards MAGE, KNIGHT, ROGUE, PRIEST. Which could give you a number of different class combinations as seen at this old website:
    http://files.byondhome.com/iainpereg...t/classes.html

For example, if you were already an archer (1 rogue card) and you take the FIGHT option (1 knight card) you would turn into a Barbarian.

This was REALLY fun game to play. The abilities were all really cool, like necromancers could summon enmasse skeleton minions to wander the map and fight for them, or raise players from the dead as skeletons themselves. Or the Nomad, who could call up a genie three times (three wishes) which had some powerful AOE spells. Even basic classes were varied in playstyle with neat features. It felt like one of those watercooler games, and getting to the final boss in a 5 man party was always a worthy challenge.

Here's a youtube video of the first few waves, I think this is the best quality one I could find, although for some reason the cards don't show up. Usually the early waves are a lot faster as its 2-5 people playing. Once you hit the harder areas you had to start thinking about strategy instead of just rushing around stabbing, and I think it was every 9 waves you hit a miniboss fight which would be anything from a giant scorpion that launches its tail at you to a giant jelly blob that grabs players inside of it (damaging them if their friends attack it while they're inside).

Some of the maps included: The desert (bone dragons, cobras, evil genies, etc), the graveyard (ghosts, giant skulls that can eat you, the grim reaper, etc), castles (knights with working shields, dragons, wizards), caves (slimes, imps) and a lot more.

I think the final boss was on wave 150, but there was also a bonus area afterwards where you can eventually reach a strange land of gnomes that throw turnips at you. The bonus boss was a giant turtle, I think. After beating the bonus boss all the players would have the chance to pick a gnome side (red or blue) and then playing thereafter was a kind of silly versus mode. It was very cool.

Anyway, TLDR: A great indie gem, please support this if you feel inclined.

Keep reloading, I'm honking. Zeebo's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I just found out that the old game is live on the hub again with a new 24/7 host. If you have a BYOND account or register real quick you can play here:

http://www.byond.com/games/IainPereg...uest?tab=index
    (Use the servers with a listed host, like GreenShaymin)

I really can't do it justice, so I recommend to grab some friends and crank zelda music. My xfire is thezeeb if you want somebody to play with on short notice.