Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance. LuckyGuns's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default going to sell computer, wanted some advice.

So I am planning to sell my current laptop so I can have some extra money for my next build. the only question I had is how to remove any of the log-in information that is stored on my computer so i don't have any unwanted guest on my accounts for anything. also the quickest way to uninstall all of my programs with out messing with the OS.

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I Deadzone's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

how much for the laptop?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

gonna put it on Ebay, looking to get $1,000 - $1,200

trust me, you don't want it. its just a headache. I believe I need to replace the graphics card but I don't want to spend $500 to find out its something else.
    I already have a build to accommodate depending on how much I receive from it.

The Token Staff Sergeant Master Butters's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_LuckyGuns View Post
    gonna put it on Ebay, looking to get $1,000 - $1,200

trust me, you don't want it. its just a headache. I believe I need to replace the graphics card but I don't want to spend $500 to find out its something else.
    I already have a build to accommodate depending on how much I receive from it.
    $1,000 - $1,200? That must be a pretty nice laptop.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

:/ no, its just a corporate headache with a big name on it.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Never sell a PC that you have used for anything personal without first reformatting the hard drive if you have not already.

It is pretty much the only way you can be sure that you are not leaving any personal information behind.

Sure there are steps that can be taken to remove personal info without reformatting, but there is no way to be sure that you have got all of it, in addition to removing all beyond the ability of a data recovery application to recover it. (Erasing free space does not fully work for this either).

Other than that, when selling any PC or laptop, be sure to clean the exterior completely, and also clean the heatsink properly. If you need to open it, then do so.

When selling on ebay, anything that deviates from the description, is grounds for buyers protection, and some users will take their chances with it by finding any inaccuracy, and then file a buyers protection. The hope is that the ebay worker will not be paying attention, and issue a refund without requiring the item to be returned (which ebay has the power to do with no legal repercussion as you agree to it when creating the account).

So protect your private info by reformatting, and when you list the laptop, make sure everything is listed properly, and make sure all specs are 100% accurate. On top of that, be sure to include high res photos in full focus. I recommend locking the camera onto a tripod, then setting the aperture around f5.6 - f8, then also using even lighting, and ensure that all sides can be viewed.

Also inspect the screen for any spots or dead pixels. And accurately describe any problems with the laptop. if an item is expensive to ship. Seller protection only comes into play when everything is 100% described to a point where the any complaint from the buyer is purely buyers remorse and thus not available for buyers protection.

And again, make sure the heatsink is clean, that is the most common issue with used laptops, the user not regularly vacuuming out the bottom air intake for the heatsink, and thus causing the dust to build up and the high temperatures to cake the dust on to a point where the laptop must be taken apart to clean it. for example, this is one I had to do 2 weeks ago. (depending on the severity, the system just may be unstable, or randomly shut off, or randomly crash due to supporting components overheating. For example, overheating VRM's, Chipsets and many others (some laptop makers like to have a single heatsink and heatpipe connecting to both the CPU and chipset, even though both components may have different overheating temperatures.

http://i.imgur.com/JXq9fNn.jpg

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for the heads up, I will look into everything right now.

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I Deadzone's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_LuckyGuns View Post
    $1,000 - $1,200
    This is too much for even a Mac

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I wanted to also add, if you are going to sell a product as used, then it must be fully functional, essentially it should work just as well and be as stable as a brand new product, with the only difference being signs of use (e.g., minor wear and other cosmetic flaws). If you cannot meet that requirement, then the item must be listed as for parts or repair, this will significantly reduce what you can sell it for, so if possible, work of fixing any issue the laptop may have, if needed, take it apart carefully, and rule out any hardware issues., and reformat to rule out as many software issues as possible.

If there are hardware issues that go beyond a clogged heatsink, or degrading thermal compound through repeated overheating events, then examine what is causing it, if needed, test individual regulators, capacitors, and resistors to make sure they are in spec.