Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Which R9 270x should I go for?

Hey guys and girls!
    Have recently come into some money that I've been looking forward to and it seems next/this week I'll finally be able to purchase a new GPU which is sorely needed. (My old HD 4870 512mb is on her last legs)

Seeking opinions on which R9 270x I should go for.

Sapphire R9 270x Dual-X
    or
    Asus R9270X-DC2T

Wondering if anyone can share their wisdom on their respective aspects. Warranty / Customer Service / Quality / Overclocking etc.

The Sapphire is roughly $20ish cheaper than the Asus, though with saying that, I'm alright doing a little extra $ if the Asus is worth it.

Side note: Any info that can be shed upon overclocking pre-overclocked cards would be welcome, if I can get much more performance out of them or if it's not worth it.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Damnation's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I haven't done customer service with either of them, but for quality ASUS is great, motherboard is still going strong, though I haven't had sapphire stuff.

Overclocking however I can help with.
    Typically the factory overclocked cards have better chips then the other versions. They do this by testing chips/cards and the ones that run the coolest are the highest quality, so they can run faster but at the same temp as the other chips. This means your factory overclocked card can probably be overclocked more. Unfortunately I don't have the data to show how much of a difference there is.
    If you really want to OC your card to its limit go for the factory overclocked one.

As an example lets use my EVGA 580 Classified. It has among the best of the best 580 chips, and I can get it to a 29% overclock from stock, which I know is very high for the 580 chip. A stock 580 chip would not overclock that high, but it shouldn't have a problem hitting say 15%. Cost effective? Depends on how much extra you pay.

Both are very close to the same frequency, memory ect. You're mostly buying the name.... but if it was me I think I would by ASUS.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have never done support with sapphire, but I have RMA'ed with Asus, and overall the process takes about 3 weeks, a few days to get to them, and then a week for them to get around to looking at your item, and then a few days waiting for UPS ground to replace a truck engine with a on a hamster wheel and then put your package on a truck and provide you with their ground service.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Zayveon's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Think I'll be going with the Asus.
    Turns out Sapphires warranty is only 2 years, vs Asus's 3 years.

I think an extra year of warranty is worth the extra $30ish

I come in peace, seeking gold and slaves. Goodyear420's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

My Sapphire R7 250 2GB DDR3 w/ boost is more than enough, and I render graphics from time to time.

I didn't take Steroids...Honest WHOAPONY's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I've had the Gigabyte R9 270x since December, it runs great. I haven't had any problems with it, except once I forgot to update drivers but that was my fault. Can't offer input on the ASUS or Sapphire versions, but the Gigabyte does have a high factory clock compared to other 270x's.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! toastmanzz's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

MSI has my favorite cooler but with ASUS I have had a little better experience with. I have both in a 270x right now and would recommend the ASUS.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Still looking like I'll go for the Asus :)
    Just fucking $20 short! So I'll have to wait till next week haha, the wait is killing me. Though another week wont kill me when I've been waiting a few months already.

I just can't wait to be able to actually play stuff on anything other than low settings.
    And ofcourse, get into BF4 and kill Sep, over and over and over AND OVER!
    Which will more accurately be me getting killed over and over, but hey! I can dream

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

http://wccftech.com/amd-pirate-islan...#ixzz2yQfq89LC

Well shit. Now I don't know if I should wait and save up extra to grab one of those puppies.
    Though knowing the NZ Dollar, the 380x will be $700+ and that's freaking insane.

Knee High to a Worms Ass Zombie Bunny's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have the Sapphire r9-270x dual x and I feel as though I made a good choice never gets above 60 degrees celcius not to loud either get great performance from it