I come in peace, seeking gold and slaves. Goodyear420's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default That time I destroyed ~$5,000 of other peoples stuff

So gaming of course is a massive industry. But it's actually bigger than most people think, and the scary part is the underground world of gaming. While some events draw wide spread attention, I still rarely hear of the greatest things that have happeed in gaming. I speak of course about games like EVE and Entropia Universe, the former being the subject of this topic. These games are so hardcore, they rely on either real life amounts of attention and work, or real life money, and in most situations, the players use both. While I could talk about the tiny piece of code that amounts to an egg that floated around EU (Entropia Universe) for 6 years until it did anything, and had a net worth of $70,000 American (http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/ent...70000-hatches/), I'm going to talk about something personal to me.

You see, in the game of EVE, skill acquisition is all time based. The longer you spend learning one skill (spending real life days, months, years for that one basic level 5 skill), the more attached to your character you become. You put time of your actual life into it. The only way to play the game is to have what is called a PLEX, a Pilot License EXtension, which is roughly $20 per, or discounted on purchases of more. The website itself notes that for purchases of 300 PLEX or more, to contact them directly. Yes, people spend thousands of dollars of their real, hard earned money on this stuff. The reason why, instead of going for a $15 a month recurring subscription, is you can sell PLEX in the online game. And the price ranges are pretty high, in the millions for just 1 (holding onto 5000 ICO, the ingame currency, is hard enough.) The best part about this is if you want to do this, your PLEX has to be a physical ingame item. And in a world run by unrelenting PvP, that makes for a dangerous time. You see, Corporations, the games form of clans, or guilds, pool money together to bulk purchase PLEX for an assortment of reasons, and often are required to transport hundreds of plex at a time. Add in what the ships cost, and a ship itself can be worth anything from 1 to 100 PLEX itself, not to mention it's arms and armaments, and other cargo.

Enter Mjollnir Walkii, amateur pirate, self made mogul, and former scourge of Amamake, veteran of battles such as B-R5RB (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...st-battle.html) and Burn Jita (http://community.eveonline.com/news/...-player-event/). I had personally made an small niche empire for myself, having spent an undisclosed amount of my annual income on PLEX myself to fulfill my own goals. As of 2011, I was one of the most feared stealth pilots, having ships that were the envy among even my rivals, earning me the respect of large corporations such as Total Eclipse, an infamous Russian corporation known for its ruthlessness. They had hired me for a job, knowing I was the man to get the job done. The job was to ultimately bring down Russian Wings, a Russian carebear corp whose presence was much larger than my employers at the time, and thus whose influence was a detriment. Suffice it to say an active PvP corp cannot survive while being enveloped by strict non-PvPers.

To attain my objective, I hired 2 associates I trusted and had done jobs with before. Our first objective was to establish ourselves new identities, and join the Russian Wings corp. My strategy was initially going to be a Fifth Column, tear it apart from the inside by having the 3 of us reach high level ranks, then issuing chaos among the regulars. Within 6 months, one of my team had been disbanded from the corp, after being caught stealing and trying to make himself a tidier profit than what we had agreed upon. He of course made a break for it after emptying what he could fit on his ship from the station he was docked at. I have to hand it to him, he's a pirates pirate, though he made out with less than he would have if he had finished the job as planned. His actions turned out to work in our favour, however, as the other spy and I had reached our goal of attaining higher ranks. He was the vice CFO, in charge of all in-game assets and profits, under the CFO, who was in charge of real world assets and profits, as in everything related to the use of PLEX. I was chief security officer, having gotten my predecessor ejected from his position on charges of corruption. In truth, he was just bad at his job (several convoys had been taken out by pirates, both PC and NPC on his watch, and they were just rag tag bands, nothing I'd hire.) When our comrade ripped off the station container, our CFO decided to cut our losses, and liquidate our assets that were left over, and shift them over to another base of operations. Instantly, I knew that we had our chance, at least a year ahead of schedule. You see, the particular station that was breached was the corporate headquarters, where talk of moving was beginning to form on the tongues of the higher echelon. The incident apparently had the effect of escelating it from mere talk to priority, so action was taken. The majority of the corporations assets were then liquidated, even moved from some of our outpost stations, and the result came to be around 500 PLEX. At the lowest price PLEX can be discounted to (50%=$10) that made roughly $5,000 worth of assets. It might not seem like a lot, but at the average price of 1.5 million per PLEX, that's three quarters of a billion ICP, enough to get you a Titan, the games largest ship. It was also 85% of the entire corporations assets. The time to strike was now.

As chief security officer, it was my duty to oversee the entire operation of transporting the goods to the new headquarters safely. After introducing my strategy to the superiors, I got my approval. My plan was to hide the convoy in plain sight, a simple, inexpensive blockade runner transporting the goods, with minimal security. The more ships protecting one, the bigger target it becomes, was the rational I gave. We would hire a couple of mercenaries not affiliated with the corp to travel at a distance so as not to look like a secure convoy, to detract from would be assailants. It would be cheaper and take less time training alternate PCs, as well as keep the operation more contained. All they would be told is to follow the target, and make sure it isn't destroyed. In the effort of making sure nothing was compromised, strict time constraints were in place. The operation was to take place at the disclosed time when each party was alerted the operation would take place. If someone was unable to make it, so be it, the operation would go on regardless. Absolutely no one would be apprised of the operation until after it has taken place, for added security measures. The only ones who would know what was happening were the CEO, CFO, COO, their vices, myself (the CSO), and my vice, who would be the pilot for the mission. Everything was set in place.

On Monday, August 8th, 09:00 UTC, the operation was a go. Everyone was in their respective positions. Everyone except myself. According to my remaining comrade, the CEO called the CFO on the phone to ask whether or not they should proceed, 5 minutes prior to the start. After being reassured that my being present wasn't necessary, and the vice CSO was more than fit for his job, the final go ahead was given. The jump course was about 30 jumps long, with only three low sec systems on the way. Odds are the pilot and mercs were on auto-pilot until they reached these systems. Little did they know being on their toes wouldn't help them. they made it through every gate without incident, it being early morning and having advanced intel from the mercs. The last gate however was also the low sec system they had to go through, and was the most efficient way to get to their new headquarters. Knowing my vice CSO wouldn't deviate from the course at this point in the operation, especially doing so well, and receiving intel from my comrade, I was poised to strike. As the advanced recon merc emerged from the gate, he saw nothing, and gave the all clear. As the transport confirmed he began his jump, the merc jumped across system to scout the other gate. Unbeknownst to him, however, I was at the first gate, stealthed in my Hound, a stealth bomber, which is also the fastest of all stealth ships. As the transport came through the gate, my Hound was already screaming towards it at tops speed. With advanced targeting and tracking systems, I acquired my target within a second of him coming through the gate. Popping out of stealth to launch a volley of torpedoes, I could tell the Russian Wing pilot had no idea what was happening. Speeding past the transport before my torpedoes reached him, I saw him feebly attempting to jump to across system. Unfortunately for him, no matter what ship I chose for him to fly, it would never be fast enough to have gotten out of the trap I sprung on him. One volley was all it took, as his ship tore apart against the impact of my Juggernaught Rage Torpedoes. The other mercs came through the gate at this time, and the Russian Wings pilot, now in his capsule, began his jump back through the gate, into high sec space. Deciding his capsule was too far for me to get to, to get a PK, I dropped back into stealth before his backup even noticed he had been destroyed and jumped to a beacon I had previously set up.

I didn't need to sign back onto my other character to get chewed out by my superiors, as my comrade had signed onto his main and called to collect. The mission was a resounding success... For us, at least. After losing what was essentially everything the corporation had earned, the CEO rage quit after venting some anger on TeamSpeak, and in game chat, and Facebook, and everwhere, for about a week, until he quit the game completely. The CFO was crushed, less so, being one who didn't put all his personal eggs in one basket, but was left to pick up the scraps on his own. The COO took a bunch of the veteran players and formed another corporation with what little they had left. Many others raged and left the corp, demanding recompense for what they lost. Meanwhile, after having payed my comrade for his services (a ship worth about 5 PLEX, on top of game time spent on the operation), I went to collect MY reward from Eclipse. Being extremely impressed with how swiftly I was able to accomplish my objective, they gave me something extra. So I earned 50 for the job, they covered my expenses (gametime, what I payed the others), and Ragnarok blueprints, which is needed to make one of those billion ICP, $5000 starships I spoke about.

I haven't played the game in a while, I suffered a few setbacks and major losses, and my once mighty empire has now fled into hiding. Once I'm able to finance operations once again however, I think I'll work toward getting the components for my Titan, as I spend the 2 or 3 years needed to learn all the skills just to use it, and the next 5 getting the recommended certificates.

Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! Kobrakilla's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Egghelende, home Sweet home

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? Redd_slayer's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Wat

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Redd_slayer View Post
    Wat

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    I broke expensive things.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Now that I've actually read your post and since I played Eve for over four years I can tell bs from the truth.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Kobrakilla View Post
    Now that I've actually read your post and since I played Eve for over four years I can tell bs from the truth.
    What faction do you play, and were you at B-R5RB?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Faction? I was a lowsec pirate. Only carebears have a "faction" for faction Warfare. No I wasn't at the Battle, I quit Eve years ago because CCP ruined the game.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yeh, when they added walking around in stations, and split their priorities for that FPS they made, it took it's toll on the game. So as a pirate what'd you fly, Minny ships for speed? Or Navy/Pirate variants?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Mostly nano recons, we would kite the blobs, divide then, and pick them off one by one. I was my Corps Huginn/rapier pilot.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Nice, I wish I could afford to play like I used to, I loved my Hound, I flew a Dramiel too, before they were crap. In honesty, I squandered most of my skill placement for the first couple of years, thought big ships were the way to go, then I learned how to play the game aha ha.

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I Deadzone's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Goodyear420 View Post
    I broke expensive things.
    couldn't you have just said that at the beginning?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

What can I say, I like telling a detailed story.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Semirhagge's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I played the null-sec sovereignty game. Joined N3 and flew minny ships. I loved this game and the ships but the politics ruined it for me. I made sure I would never go back by selling my character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I don't know whether it's a good thing or a bad thing to brag to your clan about that time you went into deep cover and wrecked everyone's shit.

Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! AOD Member AOD_Blankwindow's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Irtar View Post
    I don't know whether it's a good thing or a bad thing to brag to your clan about that time you went into deep cover and wrecked everyone's shit.
    Normally I would agree (being an honor base clan and all) , but 80% of eve online is all about subterfuge and sabotage. so in this case I'd call it a grey area leaning on white.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Well, I WAS a pirate, and that is the kind of thing pirates do. I only operated in Russian populated sectors of space, as some Russian corps were infamous for making the game a bad playing experience for non-Russian players, so I took jobs from and against them. I was like the true neutral guy, I never let one side gain too much power over another. You should hear what I did to Total Eclipse for another job.

Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! AOD Member AOD_Blankwindow's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Well, I WAS a pirate, and that is the kind of thing pirates do. I only operated in Russian populated sectors of space, as some Russian corps were infamous for making the game a bad playing experience for non-Russian players, so I took jobs from and against them. I was like the true neutral guy, I never let one side gain too much power over another. You should hear what I did to Total Eclipse for another job.

It does make you hard to trust though. you admit your highly capable of subterfuge and sabotage.

lol

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Lol, you make it sound like I infiltrated the CIA and made away with the plans for the Death Star :P

I just play video games like that, I'm always a sniper, or a rogue, or an assassin. Besides, my actions helped stabalize the economy in Minny space for a while.

Oh, and I might be a pirate, but I do have a code :P

Did you hit him? Did you hit him again? Samiam_Jr's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Lol, you make it sound like I infiltrated the CIA and made away with the plans for the Death Star :P
    Wait! How did you know about those plans?

Now I need to track down everyone who has read this thread and either force them to not talk, or silence them forever!

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I Deadzone's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Goodyear! How many time do I gotta tell you that those plans are S.E.C.R.E.T. Now I got another stalker to deal with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast