If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Sirjacob's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Tanks and one shot!

So I am still in Tier1 tanks, and almost to 2, but I will fire over and over and over and get many hits from the back of a tank, but then it will turn at me and fire one time and I am dead. I am confused by this. Can any one help? Thanks

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Tanks and one shot! is what the title is meant to say but I didn't catch it soon enough.

Did you hit him? Did you hit him again? Samiam_Jr's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Sirjacob View Post
    Tanks and one shot! is what the title is meant to say but I didn't catch it soon enough.
    Fixed it for you.

Danneskjold Repossessions. AOD Member AOD_Danneskjold's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Basically, the way it works is different than World of Tanks. There is no hitpoint bar. The way you kill a tank is by killing all of the crew members, or by killing all the tank modules. Or the last way is to get the Ammo Rack to detonate.

Depending on the tank, though, it's possible for one shell to kill all the crew members. Though it's less likely in AB.

And the Ammo Rack in AB is far more durable than in RB/SB, but if it gets hit you still have a 50% chance of exploding outright. It's almost guaranteed to be a one shot kill in RB/SB.

You're going to have to learn where your ammo racks are, and protect them, and learn where your enemy's ammo racks are, and shoot them.

That being said, the heavier the shell you fire the more damage you do. Your APCR shell may be a guaranteed penetration, but when it weighs 25% of your default shell (or less), it does far less damage when it does penetrate.

The key to doing the most damage therefor, is to shoot the shell that just barely penetrates, because it'll be the one that does the most damage. 95% of the time, this is the Default AP round.

For most of my tanks I load 80% Default AP rounds, 10% high pen APCR rounds, and 10% HE / HEAT rounds for light tanks.
    Last edited by AOD_Danneskjold; 05-27-2014 at 02:00 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks Dannes for the reply

"And the Ammo Rack in AB is far more durable than in RB/SB,"

What do these terms mean?
    How can I identify where the ammo rack is?

AB = ?
    RB/SB = ?
    APCR = ?

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain AOD_Whaleco's Avatar
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

AB >> Arcade Battle
    RB/SB >> Realistic battle & Simulator battle
    APCR >> armour piercing composite rigid (basically a shell especially designed to penetrate armour)

Danneskjold Repossessions. AOD Member AOD_Danneskjold's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Sirjacob View Post
    Thanks Dannes for the reply

"And the Ammo Rack in AB is far more durable than in RB/SB,"

What do these terms mean?
    How can I identify where the ammo rack is?

AB = ?
    RB/SB = ?
    APCR = ?
    When you're sitting at the Modifications Screen looking at all your modules, mouse over the Ammo shells that you can select near the top. When you hover over them, they'll tell you their stats. The important stats are Shell Weight, Velocity, and Penetration at distances. Your default AP round will have High Shell Weight, decent Velocity and decent Penetration. Your default APCR shell will have Low Shell Weight, HIGH velocity (since it's smaller it moves faster) and great penetration.

But because damage is based off of shell weight, if both Armor Piercing and Armor Piercing Composite Rigid (APCR) penetrate, the AP round will do far more damage.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Remember: Ammo is, more often than not, stored right below the turret. If you can get to the side of a tank, hitting just under the turret will normally pay dividends.