Thread: DNS issues

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default DNS issues

So for the past week ive been experiencing DNS errors causing me to be unable to access the internet. It works fine if im the first one up in the morning but when i come home from work and turn my PC on I'll be left with no connection. So far Ive had both ''Cant communicate with primary DNS server'' and ''Dns server not responding''. Now Ive tried using the Netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt and its worked before however today that didnt work either.
    I'm typing this from my laptop which is able to connect via wifi, however my cable does not work on this machine either so I highly doubt that its a hardware issue.

Today I was happily surfing the web, then I went to a bar to watch the Hockey World Cup Bronze match, came back and found that I had no internet connection and my previous solutions didnt work so that was kinda the last straw.. gotta get this fixed.

Any and all help will be much appriciated.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

when the issue happens, are you still able to ping known working IP's

Keep a list of a few known ones

google is 63.117.14.149

if it does, then try running this program when DNS is working properly, and when it is not

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Save the file to its own folder as when you run it, you will have to click on the nameservers tab, then click on Add/Remove, then click on Built custom nameserver list. it will take about 20-30 minutes to do

after that, you can run the full benchmark.

This will test virtually every DNS server on the web that you are compatible with, and then find the most reliable and fastest performing of the servers for you.

After that, try switching the DNS servers listed in your router to the fastest ones.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks, will try it when I get home :)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Tried to ping google, got 4 sent 0 received 4 lost...

Keep honking. I'm reloading Damnation's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you can't ping that ip either one of Google's servers was down at the time (i don't know how likely this is), or it isn't a dns problem, you flat out can't connect to the internet. Try to ping 8.8.8.8 because it will always be up. I want to say this is router related because of the morning thing. If two computers are given the same internal ip only the first one works. If you've setup anything that involves static ip try resetting all of it. After that resetting the router should fix this problem. If that doesn't work then it has got to be a router problem somehow. Like maybe that ethernet port is failing or something.

It seems like that program is a really great option for finding dns servers, but until this gets figured out I'd stick with the default ones because they aren't broken, they work fine on wireless.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Foxcloud's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You could simply try setting your DNS primary and secondary to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. They're Google's public DNS. They're always up (if they go down then you may as well start preparing for the apocalypse). My work uses those for businesses whose networks we set up unless they ask for specific ones.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Foxcloud's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

As an added piece of advice... you should figure out the IP block the router is handing out to devices that connect to it and manually set your IP to one on the higher end. If it happens to be that you're conflicting with another device grabbing the same IP you'll be less likely to have that problem setting it manually as most people just pick them up in order as the router hands them out.

If neither of our advice works let us know and we can go from there to narrow it down further.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

did some restructuring with my wires and now it seems to be working, thanks for all your advice anyway!

Keep honking. I'm reloading Damnation's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hmm yeah, if nothing worked I was going to ask you to draw your wiring because I've seen some crazy setups. :P

Glad it's fixed :)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'll suggest OpenDNS.com.
    The jist is that it's free and you use their DNS servers instead of your ISP's which are often slow and crashing at times. I've been using it for years.
    All you do is set the primary and secondary DNS in your router and run their dynamic ip updater to keep your ip updated with them. Barely even uses any ram and hardly any cpu.