Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Kc2000's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Opinions on SSDs

I'm planning on upgrading from my crummy current HDD to an SSD.
    Currently looking at getting the Samsung 850 Pro 128GB ($130 on Amazon) and was wondering if anyone owned the 840 Pro/EVO and had any opinions on the performance?

My current HDD is a Seagate 500GB 7200RPM using a much older WD Blue 220GB 5400RPM as data storage. The plan is to migrate data over to the Seagate for storage and pretty much kill off the WD Blue as it's roughly 10+ years old by now.

Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! AOD Member AOD_Blankwindow's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

I have no comment on the SDD as the only SDDs I have used thus far are from SanDisk.

But as to data storage. I agree temporarily move the data to the 500GB, but when you have another spare $70-100 get a >=1TB HDD so that you have plenty of storage space, and your storage drive will be new instead of being an abused ex-root. (your root drive is abused by the OS.)

Or if you have the little bit more money. look in to one of the hybrid drives that are 1TB HDD platters with a 60-200 gb SDD attached. The files you use on your storage drive the most will be cached in the SDD portion for quick retrieval. Less used \unused files will be moved to the HDD portion for long term storage. And the drive does the switching on it's own based on you current usage. Definition of length of time frame that is "Current" varies depending on drive manufacturer..

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue DreadlordFred's Avatar
    Rank
    Recruit
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

or goto newegg.com and get a 240gig ssd for around $119.00 they are much faster and with no moving parts you have less problems with defraging and info loss

Can I have your Tots drummerguy12005's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I only have used a single ssd while my time in the computing world, so I cannot speak for that SSD. I think upgrading my OS to an SSD was one of the best things I have ever done for my computer. I took the easy route and just installed my OS onto the SSD and deleted the old system files, and program files from my old SSD. I was having some driver issues any so a clean OS install was what I really needed anyway. But yes, GET AN SSD!

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have built a few systems with the 840 pro, and it is by far the best SSD for the SATA bus of its time with being able to handle over 1PB of writes with no unrecoverable errors. The EVO drives use the far less reliable and error prone TLC flash which uses relies heavily on the controllers error correction ability, with an exponential increase in the error rate after about 100TB of writes.
    The 850 pro uses a new flash technology with a 30nm design, and they claim to have 10 times more write endurance, and better response times. since it just came out, there is no consumer reliability data, and there is nothing to really compare it to, but it does have a 10 year warranty (though it is void if you write more than 150TB to the drive)

If I were to buy an SSD today, I would go for the 850 pro (256GB model which is faster)

I currently use a sandisk ultra SSD and it works well and the 850 pro is the first SSD that I have seen that would give a large enough performance boost to justify an upgrade, without going with the super expensive PCIe SSD's

When I eventually upgrade (when there is a good sale on the 256GB 850 pro), I will dedicate my sandisk drive to my steam library, and adobe applications scratch disk, while keeping the 850pro for the OS, main applications, and multiplayer games

In the long run MLC flash is a far better value than the cheaper TLC flash, especially when you consider how much longer lasting, and more reliable the MLC flash is.

If the claims by samsung are true for the 850, then we may finally get a non SLC flash SSD that may last as long or even outlive a PC that is heavily used on a daily basis.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Wanted to also add, never use the migration software to move an OS from an HDD to an SSD, it never performs as well as a fresh install.

My recommendation is to do a fresh install, and then for each 3rd party application installed (you can also copy over the windows media folder if you want to maintain your playlist), copy its program files and program data entries over to the new install, and for programs which same some data in the program files folder, also copy those over. After all of that, then install those programs using the proper installer (do not run them without doing that), after installing the programs things should work well with all of your settings customizations and all other changes you have made, this works especially great for web browsers.

Some SSD migration software will maintain partition alignment while most will not. if partition alignment is off, you will get a massive drop in performance, and a 5-8 fold increase in the internal IO's and writes that the drive makes, which will significantly shorten the life of the drive.

But even without that, a non fresh install will load drivers and other items that are no longer needed.

All in all, stick with a fresh install when going from HDD to SSD, and use migration for SSD to SSD transfers.

Foxtrot, Unicorn, Charlie, Kilo Neotoad's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_DreadlordFred View Post
    or goto newegg.com and get a 240gig ssd for around $119.00 they are much faster and with no moving parts you have less problems with defraging and info loss
    You should NEVER defrag a SSD.

Knee High to a Worms Ass YummySushiPjs's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD. So much so in fact that I think I'm going to throw a 128GB version in my older PC just so it boots up faster when my nephew wants to use it.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Romanion's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The Crucial MX100 is a pretty good SSD thats also affordable at only $110 for 256GB.

Foxtrot, Unicorn, Charlie, Kilo Neotoad's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_YummySushiPjs View Post
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD. So much so in fact that I think I'm going to throw a 128GB version in my older PC just so it boots up faster when my nephew wants to use it.
    I also have the 840 pro. Have not had a single problem with it. Just a lovely piece of hardware.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you are owing a pretty decent computer with good parts and such and you don't own a SSD at that moment, then you should be ashamed! SSD is the now and the future for a computer ^^, I don't regret my first bhought and either the other 3 ^^,

I own myself 4 SSD :D
    2 - 120GB SSD
    1 - 256GB SSD
    1 - 500GB SSD

If you don't have a SSD as you read this, you should buy one!

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Harbinger1's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

SSD's are the way to go. Typically they cost around a $1 per gigabyte, so if you find a deal on Newegg for less definitely consider buying one.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Romanion's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Harbinger View Post
    SSD's are the way to go. Typically they cost around a $1 per gigabyte, so if you find a deal on Newegg for less definitely consider buying one.
    They are more like $0.50/GB.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Harbinger1's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Romanion View Post
    They are more like $0.50/GB.
    Maybe $0.75/GB but it depends on the brand. I got mine over a year ago so they're probably cheaper

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Kc2000's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Well, I got the 840 evo today and just a little story so noone else does this.

Ok, So what pretty much happened was when I installed windows on my first ssd, it decided to stick the mbr on my old data drive. So I tried using a program to copy it over and it worked. Then, since I can only connect 2 hdds at once, I unplugged the old hdd and plugged the evo in. Worked out okay so far.. and then I migrated my 1st ssd to the evo... still good. Copy mbr to evo then. Reboot to move old data from old disk to evo... annnnd everything is corrupted. The partiton table, windows, even startup repair cant fix it.

Moral of story, dont install windows with 2 hdds installed