Professional Farmer at Work Denmarkvessey's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Graphics cards/dedicated PhysX

I just built a brand new computer, but I haven't gotten a graphics card for it yet. (Basically this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TVLwyc). I know that the Nvidia GTX 800 series is coming out soon so I am hesitant to get a 700 series card, but can't play games without a card. I'm considering a GTX 750 Ti or similar and using it later as a dedicated PhysX card (Perhaps with an 870). Do you guys have any suggestions for me?

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Depending on your budget, that can work, but at that point you will be better off using the 750ti to upgrade another system. when I upgraded from a GTX 460, to a GTX 760, I tried using the 460 for physx but it was not worth it, it pulled a lot of power, and the physx load would only be like 1-2% While earlier on, a dedicated physx card may have been useful, but today, it is not useful ad the impact is very tiny.

If you are running games like planetside 2, then a 750ti will allow you to use high - max settings with the game, especially if you overclock it, but in crowded areas, it may be best to turn them down a little as 30FPS is no way to play a competitive PVP FPS game.

I didn't take Steroids...Honest WHOAPONY's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I would say gtx 770 + for planetside 2. Keep in mind your CPU will have to have some heft to it as PS2 is heavily dependent on your processing power.