If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Romanion's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Custom Waterloop

Anyone with experience with custom waterloops?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $337.00)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 54.4 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
    Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $120.00)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $140.00)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $87.00)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X 4GB Video Card (Purchased For $400.00)
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($100.00)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (32/64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)
    Monitor: Dell U2412M 60Hz 24.0" Monitor (Purchased For $230.00)
    Monitor: QNIX Perfect Pixel QX2710 Matte 60Hz 27.0" Monitor (Purchased For $229.00)
    Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard (Purchased For $80.00)
    Speakers: M-Audio Studiophile AV40 40W 2ch Speakers (Purchased For $130.00)
    Total: $1853.00
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-21 23:24 EDT-0400

Current Setup.

Waterloop

EK-Supreme LTX - Acetal CSQ
    EK-LGA115x TRUE Backplate
    EK-FC R9-290X - Acetal (Rev.2.0)
    EK-FC R9-290X Backplate - Black (QClass2)
    EK-FC R9-290X Reinforcer - Black
    EK-CoolStream PE 360 (Triple)
    EK-FAN Silent 120-1600 RPM x 3
    EK-DDC 3.2 PWM X-TOP CSQ - Acetal
    EK-RES X3 150 Reservoir
    Compression Fittings 3/8ID 1/2 OD x 13
    TUBE PrimoChill PrimoFlex™ Advanced LRT™ 3/8 ID 1/2 OD - Atomic UV Green RETAIL 3meters

Am I missing anything? Is 3meters of tubing enough for my Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 case?
    Last edited by Romanion; 07-21-2014 at 11:06 PM.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Custom Waterloop

Yes, 3meters should be enough if you dont mess up to many times. The hose size you chose is incorrect for those fittings. The OD of your fittings should match the ID of the hose so that the hose can fit over the fitting.

You need 1/2 ID.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

seems okay, but that case is not properly designed for a 360mm radiator. part of it will end up with restriicted airflow. Furthermore, the clearance between the top of the case, and the motherboard mounting bracket will not leave enough room to install a radiator that thick inside of the case. (you will end up having to mount it on the top, externally, which will cause you to compromise on the design of the case, as your install options willl either be, the radiator mounted on the top/ outside of the case, and 2 fans mounted inside of the case in a push config (this will have the downside of being significantly harder to clean the radiator as a proper cleaning will require the removal of the radiator.

Mounting option 2 will be to have the radiator at the top, and then 3 fans mounted on top of the radiator in a pull config. The 3rd fan will have partially restricted airflow, while the first 2 will be fine, but it will be overall far easier to clean as no fan removal will be needed.

When installed this way, the radiator will need some 90 degree fittings so that the tubing can extend out back and then enter the case through the tubing holes.

A 3rd but harder to work with option will be to use low profile RAM, hope none of your fan connectors or power connectors end up directly behind any flat part of the radiator or fans, and install it all inside of the case (the 5.25 inch bay can be removed for a 360mm radiator), Overall, with your setup, you will spend a lot of time with cable management and positioning the tubing and radiator and fans in order to get it to all fit.

Here is how it looks with a 240mm radiator and pus config fan.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b58IEZj.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	12512

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ModJPB View Post
    Yes, 3meters should be enough if you dont mess up to many times. The hose size you chose is incorrect for those fittings. The OD of your fittings should match the ID of the hose so that the hose can fit over the fitting.

You need 1/2 ID.
    I just went to measure my fittings and it seemed like it would fit 3/8" ID.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Mokona512 View Post
    seems okay, but that case is not properly designed for a 360mm radiator. part of it will end up with restriicted airflow. Furthermore, the clearance between the top of the case, and the motherboard mounting bracket will not leave enough room to install a radiator that thick inside of the case. (you will end up having to mount it on the top, externally, which will cause you to compromise on the design of the case, as your install options willl either be, the radiator mounted on the top/ outside of the case, and 2 fans mounted inside of the case in a push config (this will have the downside of being significantly harder to clean the radiator as a proper cleaning will require the removal of the radiator.

Mounting option 2 will be to have the radiator at the top, and then 3 fans mounted on top of the radiator in a pull config. The 3rd fan will have partially restricted airflow, while the first 2 will be fine, but it will be overall far easier to clean as no fan removal will be needed.

When installed this way, the radiator will need some 90 degree fittings so that the tubing can extend out back and then enter the case through the tubing holes.

A 3rd but harder to work with option will be to use low profile RAM, hope none of your fan connectors or power connectors end up directly behind any flat part of the radiator or fans, and install it all inside of the case (the 5.25 inch bay can be removed for a 360mm radiator), Overall, with your setup, you will spend a lot of time with cable management and positioning the tubing and radiator and fans in order to get it to all fit.

Here is how it looks with a 240mm radiator and pus config fan.
    Damn. Just measured and the fan and rad would be 63mm thick. The top clearance to the ram is about 59mm. But I think since its a 360mm rad, it should end up in front of the ram with no problem.

Planning on pull config inside the case with 5 1/4" bays removed since I have nothing there anyway. Input to radiator would be in the front.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Custom Waterloop

Oops sorry just realized you are using compression fittings not barbs. nevermind. goodluck.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Stuff came! Seems like the cheap Barrow(cheap Bitspower) fittings are a size too small.. Hope no leaks

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Done.

Knee High to a Worms Ass Noshei's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

With the pump positioned right above that HDD you may want to keep a close eye on the temps on the HDD. It will already be rather high since it has low air flow, but the extra head from the pump could make the temps go up a lot.

Looks pretty nice though.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hmmm. I'll keep that in mind. Will be adding 2 front intake fans later so airflow over there would be better.
    Thanks.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The pump should not get too warm, and will have only a very small impact on the hard drive temperature, nothing to worry about unless your case has such a bad airflow that the hard drive is regularly close to its overheating temperature. As long as the VRM's on the motherboard can be kept cool, you can pretty much run all other non radiator fans at their lowest speeds.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Just checked, even without intake front fans, HDD temperatures are sitting comfortably at 38c. Running pump at about 50-70% depending on cpu temp.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Frostythehitman21's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I like the case lights you have. Could you share a link as I am looking in to case lighting