Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! Siegmier's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default New PSU Very Loud

So we had to replace a PSU on my mothers computer a couple of months ago when it died, and just today it started making loud noises, so I opened the case, confirmed it was the PSU, and when I touched it (after just being turned on) it was VERY Hot. I realize we ought to replace it/get her a new computer, but what could have caused this? the fan almost sounds like it is trying to operate without one of the blades. and it is by far the loudest I have ever heard, even louder than any PC in the house when it is running full tilt!

Save the whales. Collect the whole set spanakis's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

sounds like a busted fan to me. Thats usually caused by dust but since you say its a 2~ month PSU its unlikely, probably the fan was defective.

Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! Siegmier's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Update: I was wrong, it was January, so almost half a year now, also it is called a "slim line power supply" http://www.amazon.com/Slimline-Suppl...e+power+supply its 300W, our previous one just straight up died.

Knee High to a Worms Ass SolitaireUnraveling's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Cheap PSUs will be loud anyways since they put cheap fans in them.

But since it just started, all power supplies lose some efficiency over time. Cheap ones quicker than others. It is entirely possible that it is no longer putting out enough power, and thus being overworked, overheating, and the fan is on full blast.

You're kind of in a hard place with it being a slimline tower. Depending on the specs, rather than replacing the whole machine, you might be better off building the tower into a normal sized mid-atx tower and giving it a regular sized PSU in turn.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Check if it is still under warranty, if so, then RMA it, if not, then it can be taken apart for further repairs.

If the fan does not sound normal, then be sure to oil the fan. Here is a quick guide to oiling the fan (ignore the text and scroll down to the pictures). http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...a-drop-of-oil/