Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Best way to change drive letters

So i know you can do it via the disk manager snap-in, but the problem i think i'm going to face is if i do it via windows [the drive containing all my programs] somethings gonna go nuts.

Is there a way to change drive letters via the command prompt before windows starts?

Save the whales. Collect the whole set spanakis's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

hi!

check this link : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7
    it contains all the info you need.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_spanakis View Post
    hi!

check this link : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7
    it contains all the info you need.
    Thanks for the quick reply, that looks at first glance to only contains the method for changing the drive during WINDOWS operation. As at install of windows i migrated all my stuff to a different drive except for what's needed for windows operation / security measures. I'm looking for a method to do this via a CD or via a DOS command prompt.

Just waiting on my files to clone atm to the new drive, i'm then going to try G-Parted and see if it will let me do this, and if that fails i'll see if i can get in there with Hirens and change that info.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Sry i got it wrong!

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx

the first part explains how to do it in windows and the second part how to do it on cmd.

note: its a post from 2005 and it says that its for windows server etc, but its the same up to windows 8.1

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you have any application installed on the partition for which you are changing the drive letter for, then it will complain, some will even stop working if they use heavy handed DRM.
    When working with multiple partitions, many applications will install files in a number of location, and those locations end up as part of a number of config files, and registry keys.

In the past, there was an application called partition magic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PartitionMagic which would do a scan for config and registry keys that refer to the old drive letter, and then update them to a new drive letter, but they dropped support for it. (the drive letter change function also did not support all applications)

Overall, make sure that applications are installed in Drive C, and if any other partition will be used, then make sure that the drive letter is never changed.

(PS programs such as windows media player are unable to handle a drive letter change without losing the playlist and all of its stats)

PS, you cannot change the drive letter of the partition that windows is installed to (with the exception of windows 98)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

So as far as i can tell all is well, all the new drives are in, all the items on the drives are migrated to their new homes, and other then icloud no one is complaining.

All drive letters remained the same, just the drives themselves changed.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

so my shortcuts work but the images for most of them are blank, anyone know how to fix this ?

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

When dealing with any application that is installed, the directory structure must be maintained. While windows can scan for exe's if the location is changed, and update the shortcut, it does not work properly all the time.

There should be no issues with moving data to a new drive as long as the layout and drive letter is 100% the same (only exception is with applications which have DRM which logs the hard drive serial number)

If the directory is unchanged, then you can attempt to rebuild the icon cache http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-rebuild.html

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Mokona512 View Post
    When dealing with any application that is installed, the directory structure must be maintained. While windows can scan for exe's if the location is changed, and update the shortcut, it does not work properly all the time.

There should be no issues with moving data to a new drive as long as the layout and drive letter is 100% the same (only exception is with applications which have DRM which logs the hard drive serial number)

If the directory is unchanged, then you can attempt to rebuild the icon cache http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-rebuild.html
    Its weird it seems to be just the start menu, like the actual icons on the EXE are accurate, the applications still work. Tried the bat file it didn't seem to change any that I noticed, tried the manual way earlier in one of the posts demonstrated.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Whats the weirdest thing is if you go into the Folder for the start menu --> programs all the icons have images lol

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Darkn3ss F4lls View Post
    Whats the weirdest thing is if you go into the Folder for the start menu --> programs all the icons have images lol
    So after a scare with restore points and the computer not being able to boot lol, I realized that I no longer have access to my Dreamspark from my former campus. So I didn't write down my keys for my copy of Windows 8.1, now for the life of me I don't remember there being any thing like what I have at the new campus which is

Windows 8.1 Industry Embedded

Now is this a valid thing to use? or is it some kinda trainer that wont be able to operate the way I want and thus I should just go ahead and pick up a copy of the 8.1 with a student discount somewhere?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Darkn3ss F4lls View Post
    So after a scare with restore points and the computer not being able to boot lol, I realized that I no longer have access to my Dreamspark from my former campus. So I didn't write down my keys for my copy of Windows 8.1, now for the life of me I don't remember there being any thing like what I have at the new campus which is

Windows 8.1 Industry Embedded

Now is this a valid thing to use? or is it some kinda trainer that wont be able to operate the way I want and thus I should just go ahead and pick up a copy of the 8.1 with a student discount somewhere?
    Alright found the CD key so if all else fails I can redo it, just sucks that Uplay and Orgin don't let you backup your game files ...

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thoughts on the embedded

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

there is a way to keep the games from uplay and origin , i will sent you a link later today

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

This is for origin i do that every time and i had no problems - Source: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/HOW-...s/td-p/1926893

For ubisoft i didnt find anything but give it a try with the same way, worst case scenario you will need to re download the games

# Make a copy of the game folders in C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games (or the location you use as the installation
    folder) and save them to a seperate disk.

If you have to (re)install a game:

1 Download and install the latest Origin client from the Origin store if needed. https://www.origin.com/download
    2 Start and login to your Origin client.
    3 Right click the games you want to install and choose download.
    4 Once the downloads are running on those games, pause the downloads
    5 Exit the Origin client.
    6 Copy back the game folders to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games and overwrite existing files that were downloaded.
    7 After copying, start the Origin client again
    8 Resume the downloads.

Origin will now check all the files and only downloads missing/corrupted one. In normal cases this is done very fast and Origin will start installing the game(s)
    without the need to download the games again.

Steps 5+7 are not always needed but it is a little saver. Without the client running you are certain no files are being used/read/downloaded
    at the time so your files are properly checked when resuming downloads (step 8)

This will not backup your game settings folders! Enable cloud storage to save settings and game saves or copy the game directories
    in "your documents".