Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Default Davenport, Florida anyone

hey Guys/gals,

I'm from the UK and (fingers crossed) maybe getting my dream job over in the good 'ol USA. Areas been looking to live is Davenport, Florida.

Anyone live there or near there or any info on what the area is like would be grateful

Cheers

I took an IQ test and the results were negative rave2n's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I live in Gainesville FL, been here for 3 years now.

Things to note:

The Bad

Its hot - Ungodly hot and humid

Bugs - Big, big bugs, and hordes of little ones.

Cost of living - High - Not sure how that compares to UK though.

Rain - Expect it a alot

Lightning strike capital of the world

Drivers - I hope you don't have the equal road rage I have - Drivers here are either flying down the road, or driving without a thought in the wind.
    Big state with long roads - Just living in FL you think "oh hai, that guy lives in FL too, lets go have a cup of tea!" (Please excuse my humor) - Not so, expect to drive long distances! Where I'm at, its 8 hours to get to South Beach. I could drive back to my other home state quicker then getting to the bottom of FL, living in Central FL.

Also, please do not judge the remainder of the US on the events or the lack of manners of the native Floridian. They know no better, and I believe they have been sun baked into stupidity.

And now the Good!

Water - EVERYWHERE! No matter where you live, there is always somewhere to get wet. Springs, Rivers, Gulf & East coast, Lakes galore. If you do not like water activities, you best start liking them ASAP. I purchased a kayak my first year here, never regretted it.

Long Summer/Fall - If you are looking to get out of the cold, this is the place to be. It has a long summer and fall season with barely a hint of winter. It varies, my first year in FL we only had a week of cold, last year it was 2 months, but really it wasn't anything REALLY cold. Think my blood just thinned out is all.

More Progressive/Nature'ish lifestyles - Some of the trees here have more rights than the citizens, but you learn to live with it, and become harmonious with said nature and...people.

No State Income Tax - Take that money! And spend it feverishly.

Resorts - So many resorts, disneyland, universal studios etc etc.

Outdoor Activities - Tons of them, if water isn't your thing, they have zip line resorts, exotic animal tours, orange farm tours....literally, there is something to do, its just not inside your home.

The sight of Human Flesh - I do not know your preference, but the ladies and lads here dress very...revealing. I have ascended to a new level of side vision when I'm driving around town with my lady. She never knows...at least I think she doesn't...Either or, eye candy galore.

Laid back lifestyle - Most people are laid back, embrace it!

I think that is all I can come up with right now. Please note I'm hungover from 5 hours of playing pool & drinking last evening, so some of this may be brain sharts, but if you have any specific question or concern, I'm sure I can answer in some way!

Which button is shoot again.....? AOD Member AOD_Mickgoth's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Thanks for your reply Rave2n. It helps. such a daunting thought of moving to a whole new country and basically starting again!

from some of your remarks it seems i need to hit the gym before i get there! (wife coming in tow so need to develop those peripheral vision techniques!)