Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Time sensitive - Monitor upgrades!

I dunno how many of you check these sites every day, but these are some well priced monitors for those looking to upgrade. Several are 1ms.

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I EpicBlob's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Love Woot! I strongly suggest people to check their site daily, they run some great deals (plenty of computer/gaming items too). I've been buying from Woot for over 5 years and have yet to face a problem with them. Definitely a credible site for those interested.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

For computer monitors, try not to go beyond 23 inches when dealing with 1080p.

over 23 inches and the pixel grid becomes very noticeable, and thus 1440p displays are needed.

TN is still the best choice if you will have many static elements on your screen for hours at a time, though the picture quality is not anywhere near as good as IPS panels (especially the 10 bit panels)

For contrast ratio, make sure you can find the static contrast ratio value, and anything lower than 1000:1, will have poor reproduction of various tones and colors, you will generally end up with more washed out shadows, and visual highlight clipping, even when the actual image being sent to display, is not actually clipped.

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I ReapeRx124's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Definitely gonna have to keep my eye on this site. Since I've finally got a job I can look into upgrading my PC. I have 2 21 inch monitors already, but a third might be nice... As well as a fourth... fifth... *Drones on for 10 minutes*

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ReapeRx124 View Post
    Definitely gonna have to keep my eye on this site. Since I've finally got a job I can look into upgrading my PC. I have 2 21 inch monitors already, but a third might be nice... As well as a fourth... fifth... *Drones on for 10 minutes*
    I hear you. The nicest ones are already sold out, but I just got my second monitor up and I'm itching for a third (24" 1440, 1ms, 23", 1080, 2ms). Woot.com and DailySteals.com are worth checking for daily deals on other than computer equipment, but who am I kidding, mostly computer equipment - I've gotten all sorts of tech kit like a battery backup for my cell (very useful when traveling), joysticks, mice, UPS (I think I have three now - electricity is rather unreliable in Miami so each UPS is paired with a surge protector...), speakers, headsets, you name it. I also got some cheap laptops and then upgraded the mess out of them with some help from Crucial.

fixed quote link -- kestah
    Last edited by AOD_Kestah; 11-14-2014 at 07:49 AM. Reason: fixed quote link

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

When looking for a response time of a monitor, make sure you also check the input lag. Those two things will get you the total lag of a monitor. Companies usually don't report the input lag, so you'll have to search for reviews. Then ask yourslef, are you a competetive fps gamer, because if you're not, these things won't even matter that much. And if you are, i recommend buying a 144hz monitor.

Personally, if i was to buy new monitor now, i'd buy 3 of Dell's U2414H. They have thin bezels, and even though their official response time is 8ms, they have no signal processing, which is rare (http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm, look at the lag chart).

And perhaps a question for someone who knows more than me, does it even matter how much lag does a 60hz monitor have, as long as it's less than 16.6ms (since that is the time for a frame to refresh)?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by RedBag View Post
    When looking for a response time of a monitor, make sure you also check the input lag. Those two things will get you the total lag of a monitor. Companies usually don't report the input lag, so you'll have to search for reviews. Then ask yourslef, are you a competetive fps gamer, because if you're not, these things won't even matter that much. And if you are, i recommend buying a 144hz monitor.

Personally, if i was to buy new monitor now, i'd buy 3 of Dell's U2414H. They have thin bezels, and even though their official response time is 8ms, they have no signal processing, which is rare (http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm, look at the lag chart).

And perhaps a question for someone who knows more than me, does it even matter how much lag does a 60hz monitor have, as long as it's less than 16.6ms (since that is the time for a frame to refresh)?
    Thanks for the heads-up. MOAR FPS!!!