Which button is shoot again.....? AOD Member AOD_Mickgoth's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Default Intel processer advice

So i'm making the change from AMD (8320) to Intel (along with MOBO obv). Any suggestions of processors for a decent upgrade purly to increase gaming capability

Looking at : (sorry for UK)

i5 http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...646i54590.html

i7 http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...33i74820k.html

Much difference in them?

What is Haswell/ivy bridge?

What is the "K" version of some chips?

Thanks for all your help guys/gals, I've been an AMD guy for 8 years and now turning to the dark side and have no idea on Intel stuff lol

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Stiakas's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The main diffrences are that the i5 has an 1150 chip and the i7 has 2011 chip(the 2011 chip mainly was made for photo-video edit etc. but it is also very good at gaming).I think that you dont need the i7 exept if you need the more cache and processing power for editing and stuff otherwise the i5 should do the job.Also the i7 need quad-channel ram(4 sticks)contrariwise the i5 which is dual channel(2 sticks).Haswell is the newest generation of Intel processors(4th) ,the ivy bridge is the previous generation(3th) not big difference.The "K" in every processor means that can be overclocked,if it does have the "K" you can't really overclock(by overclock you increase your processors speed can't really tell you right now cause it would take some time).The i5 you chose doesn't have the "K" which means you can't overclock it(there is a version of this p[rocessor that can be overclocked) but the i7 has which means you can.If you don't now how to overclock a processor i reccomend not to try it alone without anyone who knows,there's a big chance of destroying the processor.Last but not least if you are not playing any heavy games I don't think there is really a good reason to change your processing unit.
    Recommendations: For a realy good processor which would be able to support heavy games with the propriate GPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-372-_-Product
    For the a CPU that would be able to play everythink on ultra go for this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-369-_-Product

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Intel processer advice

Stiakas is spot on about everything.

Going from an overclocked fx8320 to a haswell/ivy bridge is not worth it.

My oced fx8320 5Ghz easily matches the performance of the i7 haswell in gaming.

The price you will pay for the new motherboard and processor you could have bought an ultra high end graphics card that would make a huge performance difference in gaming.

Intel is now supporting DDR4 ram. You should wait until that technology matures and then upgrade. Most likely next year or two when they release their second generation ddr4 chipsets and processor.

Which button is shoot again.....? AOD Member AOD_Mickgoth's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Ideal, thanks for your replies. I'm upgrading from GTX 760 to GTX 970 (poss 980 is i can one in the sale).

was going to sell 760/AMD 8320/Asus M5A97 R2 mobo and use the money to upgrade to intel (+mobo) but was hoping for a substantial jump in performance. My 8320 is oc to 4.2Ghz (mobo holding me back)

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes Shocklate's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I jumped from an Old T1090x6 Athlon to a I5-2690k and jumped around 200 fps in warpgate on PS2. I've noticied huge increases in performance across all games as well.

A side note: The i5 uses less power than the FX8 series(95watts vs 120 watts), so it runs cooler and doesn't eat as much into your PSU

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? Peasnriz's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The lga 2011-1(4820k) socket only has ddr3 support and the deals that I have found for mobo and cpu seem to be around £500. The lga 2011 v3 has ddr4 support however the problem at moment is there is no consumer grade ddr 4 cpu at a reasonable price level, all seem to be above £299 the board wil cost you around £200-300 minimum. Considering you could get a bundle deal for a i7 4770k with mobo for around £300.

The K denotes that the cpu can be easily over clocked, and i7's have hyper-threading i5's do not.
    Many people would say hyper threading is unimportant for games however there are games that use it effectively and others that are actually hindered by it, however you can turn hyper threading off in bios.

The lga 2011 line has always been for enthusiast, one of the feature of this is the support for more ram, the 4820k supports 64gb as opposed to 4770k's 32 gb. If you particularly want that extra ram (e.g. you do a lot of video editing, rendering) you would probably be better served by getting an lga 2011 v3 board/cpu than the lga 2011-1 board/cpu which the 4820k is.

Bottomline for me is if someone gave me £300-400 to buy mobo and cpu I would get a 4790k or 4770k and a Z87 series mobo so I could overclock it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I found for gaming purposes that the i5 gets you the most bang for your buck.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set Pandorf's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'm still running my 2nd gen core i7 sandy bridge OD'd to 4.5 ghz. I'm still satisfied with it. And to be honest, I've compared it too my dads new 4th gen core i5 and the stick i7 that's almost 3 years old kicks it's ass.

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I EpicBlob's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yeah, I have a 2500k OC to 4.5 ghz and I don't think I'm going to run into any issues for a long time. Stock newer versions are only around 10% better in games and OC'd, this thing still rips through games. I got a z77 board and a 2500k off ebay for $200 too so it can be a huge bargain.