Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_Vial8R's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Default Need a new Headset

My Razer Carcharias headset finally wore out. Where the cord enters on the left side is shot so sound only works on that side if you hold the cord just right. Since my wife is still feeling generous (she just let me get an ASUS R9 270 graphics card) she told me to find one I like and she would get it for me. So, what I am looking for is something preferably not more than $50-75 that is comfortable, has surround sound for BF4, and durable. As far as the surround sound, I have Razer Synapse with my mouse and headset so I can use that for the virtual surround sound if need be, but I would like something that works better. I have no issues with USB vs 3.5mm plugs, however if the headset has plugs they will need to be just one for sound and one for mic as my motherboard only has 1 output. I saw a nice price for a Steelseries V2 the other day on NewEggFlash for like $30 but didn't know my headset had problems until after it was gone. I am partial to Siberia, TurtleBeach, and Razer, but not in any particular order. Recommendations?
    Let me know if you need anything and I will do my best to help or find someone for you.
    Panzerbuchse Leaderboard Current Ryzen 7 Gaming Rig: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/jDrV3C

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? B3RNZ's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have plantronics gamecom 780. I think $60. Comfortable even with glasses. 5.1 sound. USB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Stiakas's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The steelseries siberia v2 headset is pretty good i have also used them myself comfy great sound and worth of the money totally rocommended

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

I have had bad luck with 3 different Plantronics gaming headsets. I think I am leaning more towards the Steelseries V2 Frost White edition ($40 on Newegg for open box, $45 for refurb) than anything else right now, but I have to wait until my wife gets paid, so if anyone else has any recommendations, please get them in! :)
    Let me know if you need anything and I will do my best to help or find someone for you.
    Panzerbuchse Leaderboard Current Ryzen 7 Gaming Rig: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/jDrV3C

Can I have your Tots QwertyLegend's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

It may seem like a stretch, but I've had a Logitech G930 for around a year now, no notable issues with it. It's got 7.1 digital surround sound, tons of volume, built in boom mic, oh and it's wireless. I had issues where my chair would roll over my headset cable and ruin it and all other sorts of stuff, but the G930 is super comfortable (the most comfortable headset I've worn) especially for long term wearing, it's good for 8-10 hours on battery and comfortable to wear that entire time. It's super adjustable with pivoting and rotating earcups and a nice smooth sliding adjustment for head sizes. Charges in an hour or two (I usually leave it overnight) and gets 5-7 hours of battery with surround on, 8-10 with it off.
    It's a bit pricey, I got mine for $90, but I never regret that purchase.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Ended up getting the Steelseries Siberia V2 Frost Blue Edition with USB soundcard for $49.99, no tax or shipping. Thanks for everyone's help!

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? B3RNZ's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Good buy. Hope you enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Fishwithadeagle's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I am on my gamecom 780's and i quite like the sound. The bass is going to be booming, but the audio is very accurate and clear, along with the soundstage being quite accurate. They support some of the highest bitrates that I have seen, along with 24bit depth so the internal usb to 7.1 soundcard is pretty good. They are comfortable and I have worn them for many hours (for like the first two days, they will be tight, but eventually loosen up). The only issue I have had with them is that my original pair cracked on the hinges after my friend decided to drop them three times on the floor after 2.5 years of use. Other than that, they are a great headset for around sixty dollars.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

My V2's arrived Saturday and I tried them out. Sound was great, fit was a little tight but that usually fixes itself with use. Turn on the mic to setup vent to discover that the cable into the headset is bad and causes the mic to sound scratchy and cut in and out. I already started the RMA with newegg, but not sure if I want to wait for them to get sent back, checked, replaced, and new ones sent back. They are saying a week, which means I will be back to using ear buds with my old headset mic until the new one is replaced.

Sent from my Moto X to your screen via the magic thing called the internet.

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I EpicBlob's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Getting some "audiophile" headphones may be worth the invesment. I've ordered a pair of Senn HD 558s and while I haven't used them personally, they are great for gaming due to their huge soundstage (something needed for positional audio). I'll be using a V-Moda Microphone/cable 2-in-1 instead of a dedicated mic.

Random Gamer #32507 House_Ordos's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

i LOVE tutle beach headsets, works for consoles as well. Has about a 15ft cord "not sure on length but easily stretch's across most large size rooms" Comfortable ear covers "if you don't like the style that covers your entire ears this isn't for you." it has bass, mic, and game volume controls directly on the headset cord. Sound is loud enough where you can listen to music/movie/games by just bumping up volume and setting in on your lap or desk. They do offer wireless versions if you wish to pay the higher price. Turtlebeach x12? is the cord one I have, cost roughly around $50+. I am very happy with my purchase. I have own Plantronics and cyber acoustics in the past. Loved one of each of the original purchases, went back to them later on after each original one died due to wear, tear and neglect. The follow up ones ive bought from each of those 2 companies left me with sour taste which is why I drifted to new companies.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue PrivateLover's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I just got the Kingston Hyperx Cloud headset. It got great reviews and is allegedly one of the best you can get under $100 without stepping into the audiophile price range. I don't have any complaints after using it for a month except it was hard to find in stock, I finally found it at Gamestop's website. I read reviews from people that had some of the headsets mentioned above and they said the hyperx is so much better. If you are looking for value and a headset that offers more at a lower price point I recommend the HyperX Clouds.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Dragonflame0916's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I know that you already got a set, but I want to put in my set anyway.

I recently got a Logitech G430, such an upgrade from my old anonymous headset.
    I find everything great for gaming use, 7.1 surround built in. Not saying it's the best out there, but I enjoy mine. It doesn't make me sound like I'm talking through a bag anymore, and that's always good.

Don't find fault, find a remedy. -Henry Ford AOD Member AOD_Silencer77's Avatar
    Rank
    Corporal
    Division
    Floater
    Status
    On Leave

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Kaerp's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'm using a set of Turtlebeach Z11 (they say) and I love them. Major upgrade from my plastic Logitech $15 set, which was to be expected. Great sound, depth and channels are come through. Cups are getting kind of worn so I'm looking at a set of Z22 now if I can get a deal. Here's the Amazon listing.

Knee High to a Worms Ass Zealot81's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Im using the Steelseries Siberia v2 right now, and im more than happy with it. It is super comfortable and the sound quality is quite nice aswell, since most Headsets dont sound too well while listening to music.

But the Siberia doesnt have surround sound, which you mentioned was somewhat important to you.

Other than that, i can fully recommend the Steelseries headset.