Hybrid View

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Mikey-2-Guns's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default SSD doesn't seem to load fast and causing weird DVD drive spinups

I got one of the Mushkin Chronos SSDs a few weeks ago and after installing it I am not really noticing any insane load times like everyone talks about. Windows starts up and shuts down a bit faster but my games still seem to all take way too long to load. It may have cut the load time down by a 5 seconds or so but nothing spectacular like everyone raves about after they get an SSD. I've already been through several guides on how to optimize it. The BIOS is set to AHCI, TRIM is enabled, etc. all my games are installed to the SSD and it's hooked up to one of my SATA 3.0 ports.

Another thing, every now and then for no reason at all the DVD drive will spin-up now even with nothing in it or no reason for it to be doing anything, and any game I'm in will pause for a couple of seconds until it stops. Any idea what could be causing this?

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

To help track down the issue, run AS-SSD, and benchmark the drive, and then post a screenshot of it

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...benchmark.html

also are you using a fresh install of windows. (when moving from a HDD to an SSD, it is best to do a fresh install. (you can selectively restore items from the app data folder in order to keep all of your app settings and customizations.)

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_BritishBob's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

Did you reinstall windows to the SSD. If not you probably won't notice any difference.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default SSD doesn't seem to load fast and causing weird DVD drive spinups

Sounds like your computer is looking for items that are on different drives. You may have to reinstall windows from scrach. But for now try unplugging all other drives in your system Dvd, hdd, usb, memory sticks etc. and see if you notice a difference.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Mikey-2-Guns's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

http://imgur.com/e1Cl0IF

Here's the benchmark screenshot, seems extremely low to me from what I can understand I don't know why it's in German and won't switch to English.

I also did do a format of both drives and fresh install of windows when I put the SSD in so I doubt that's the issue.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

hmm While that model is on the lower end of the SSD's, the bootup should still be in the 8 second range from windows logo, to OS being ready to use.

If you have a hard drive activity light, check to see it is has long moments of no activity during the bootup, if to then it may be a specific startup item that is simply single threaded and CPU intensive. (some drivers will also do this e.g., the rtl-sdr drivers will add a delay like that.