Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Looking for a drawing tablet

Never had to buy one of these before so I'm not sure what to look for. Everyone tells me buy a Wacom but I'm sure there is things I need to consider and other options. I don't really do drawing so I will be using it to play osu mostly and hopefully if it is accurate enough I can use it to edit in vocaloid (My mouse doesn't draw perfect straight lines or curves well) Basically looking for something fast and accurate, any help would be appreciated.

A Mighty Pirate!
    Rank
    Master Sergeant
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

Wacom is industry standard, and really they're a household name when it comes to tablets, that's why it was the first thing you heard. They provide tablets for all kinds of skill levels and expectations. http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-tablets

Years ago they used to offer the "bamboo" series, which was your lower-end, run of the mill but still incredibly accurate tablet. But since the technology has improved so much in the past 5 years even, you can expect a lot more from a purpose-driven tablet that's built to do one thing and do it well. Plus with Wacom, they've been around for a long time, and this is just... what they do. With the huge explosion of touch-screen monitors and tablets, the two are almost converging. My surface pro 3 is just as accurate as the bamboo fun I bought 6-8 years ago.

All in all, get the tablet you think you need. The more expensive ones offer more real-estate (and higher dpi, more precision), while the cheaper, smaller tablets will be less precise (because less room accommodates more of your screen). But regardless of what you spend, you can expect a certain baseline, especially with Wacom. I got the cheaper low-end bamboo fun (which was one of their base models), and I used it for digital art, signing PDF documents on acrobat, and other various things that were too cumbersome to do precisely with a mouse.

I don't know that there are any outlet stores that have wacom tablets set up for you to test, but if you're hesitant even to spend 100$ for their base model, you should look into it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yeah wasn't sure how far I need to go right now I have a 1366x768 laptop hooked up to a 1920x1080 benq gaming monitor, any idea what size tablet I should use? In terms of what I need it for mostly playing osu so I'm guessing smaller would give me more dpi.

A Mighty Pirate!
    Rank
    Master Sergeant
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

No, in the case of drawing tablets, a bigger tablet will net more DPI. A medium-range tablet should work nicely with the monitor you have though. You shouldn't need to go all out to get what you're aiming for.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

thanks. I guess I will probably get the Intuos medium, was originally just going to get the small one but medium might be worth it.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Scipio's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have a friend who actually uses a Wacom Papyrus tablet to play Osu. It seems to work pretty well. His is around 8-10 inches in size.

Knee High to a Worms Ass atwood's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

What size do you want to get? And the budget?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I've been very pleased with my Lenovo Yoga Series, and now it comes the new version yoga 3, it is more powerful, Not cheap, but great performance - worth the cash
    Processor: Intel Core M 5Y10 (800 Mhz)
    Graphics: Intel HD 5300
    Ram: 4GB
    Hard Drive: 128GB SSD
    Display: 11.0" 1920 X 1080
    Battery life: 34 Wh/7 hours
    Weight: 1.1kg
    Size (w/h/d): 11.4/7.8/0.6 inches

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_BritishBob's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

From what I know from a games concept guy I know, Bamboo the entry level tablets. Intuos are the mids range and there's a third for the high end like $300+ range.