Knee High to a Worms Ass Vexvoltage's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon5 Hackintosh

Has anyone built a full blown mac and windows Hackintosh build on here? I am talking about some one who built mac and window compatible systems?

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_BritishBob's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Vexvoltage View Post
    Has anyone built a full blown mac and windows Hackintosh build on here? I am talking about some one who built mac and window compatible systems?
    Well MAC are/should always be windows compatible. The only time you have issues is when custom building a MAC on the cheap. The only advice I ever seen is to stick to known to work components. You can google and find a decent amount of information about them.

Knee High to a Worms Ass Vexvoltage's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have been working on the build and I have been making great progress with the build. I do not think you understand what I am doing it is going to be a full from the ground up case and internal parts mod not just software that is the easy part.

Can I have your Tots BraveSirRobin's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Vexvoltage View Post
    My Lenovo laptop was/is hackintosh capable from the start. I didn't even intend for it to be. I just ended up doing a dual boot hackintosh on it for the hobby side of it. An update killed that though, so if you do it, don't expect that you'll always be able to update to the latest version (had I swapped out the wifi card to the lesser version Apple used in the macbook series I could have updated, but I couldn't see a reason to downgrade my hardware). Apple seems to go out of their way to sort out a method of killing hackintoshes in OS updates.

I don't know your reasons for doing it, but is there something particular you need in a mac OS that can't be done in Windows or Linux? I only ask because I found the OS very limited, and just as buggy as anything else. I still don't understand why people use it these days, over Linux, if they want an alternative to Windows.

Anyways, if you want some info: http://www.tonymacx86.com/ and http://www.osx86project.org/ have a fair bit of info. You'll be able to find which hardware Apple used for a recent model, so that you can hackintosh at least temporarily. Just remember, if you upgrade a part, you might be out of luck.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I never built a system with the goal of it being a hackintosh, but I have gotten the OS to run fine on one of my PC's MSI 870A-G54, Phenom II x4 965, 8GB RAM, Audigy 2 ZS and GTS250 videocard.

Everything worked except the audio.

It was installed using one of those premade bootable installers that pretty much does all of the work for you, but updating the OS is not reliable (some updates will cause random issues).

Overall, it seems like if you do not have a confirmed working build, or follow a build guide, you will likely end up with many issues when updating the OS. Some installers will have a number of workarounds and modified drivers to improve compatibility, but the OS will eventually start replacing them as you update. If you have components which closely match the stock drivers from an official mac system, then it will work even when the OS updates.

Most modified installers, will allow the OS to pretty much be installed on any system, it just will not be safe to use if you cannot update.