Hybrid View

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue prowler707's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon4 New rig!!! New problems...

More details about my computer

Component Details Subscore Base score
    Processor AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor 7.8 5.9
    Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 7.8
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 7.7
    Gaming graphics 3968 MB Total available graphics memory 7.7
    Primary hard disk 276GB Free (465GB Total) 5.9
    Windows 7 Professional

System
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer System manufacturer
    Model System Product Name
    Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM
    System type 64-bit operating system
    Number of processor cores 4

Storage
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 465 GB
    Disk partition (C:) 276 GB Free (465 GB Total)
    Media drive (D:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750
    Total available graphics memory 4096 MB
    Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
    Dedicated system memory 0 MB
    Shared system memory 3072 MB
    Display adapter driver version 9.18.13.4752
    Primary monitor resolution 1600x900
    DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    Network Adapter NETGEAR WNA3100 N300 Wireless USB Adapter

Notes

The gaming graphics score is based on the primary graphics adapter. If this system has linked or multiple graphics adapters, some software applications may see additional performance benefits.
    Caution: Based on the results of the WinSAT Disk assessment, your system drive may have slower response times under some workloads. Performance results will depend on the specific applications used and the amount of memory available. If your experience is satisfactory, no action is needed.

i expected to have a few hiccups being a new rig and all every machine has its own personality. so far i've ran the cpu core unlocker or unparker which made a huge difference in both warthunder and planetside i also had to fix the .msi not installing issue due to the windows installer service not running (took me about 3 days to find a .reg file i could create which fixed this issue) . unfortunately i get a blue screen of death whenever i have Advanced Systemcare Ultimate 8 Performance Monitor enabled after about 30 mins - 3 hours(ish) which creates a dump file. whenever it restarts my USB network device driver no longer works and requires to be reinstalled to get it back up and running. i prefer ethernet but unfortunately the landlord wont allow any new holes in the wall otherwise that would have been fixed by now. i fixed the BSOD by simply disabling the performance monitor not a big loss but annoying especially whenever i like to know my temps. however it takes about 5 mins for my system to bootup once it hits desktop. yes i know im using an HDD instead of a SSD but i couldnt see myself spending $200+ for a drive half as big. plus this drives spins at 7200 RPM so it shouldnt be that big a problem or at least i didnt think so.... so yeah in short:

- looking for a temp monitor
    - would like to solve the long bootup problem without replacing the disk (other than suggesting i turn off some of the startup programs im already aware of that)
    - the areas in red bold above are the ???wtf??? problems like why does it say i have a 4-core processor whenever this is a true 8-core (as in not 4-core with hyperthread which is an intel thing)
    - this card is directx 11.2 compliant according to the geforce website : http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desk...specifications

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

-Temp Monitor: http://www.cpuid.com/ Fans, temps, hw clocking and ability to validate your CPU (check your CPU due to cores discrepency)

- Slow Startup: I would seriously suggest upping your rig to 16 GB ram, then turn off disk caching. Sure not a great idea of your are doing stuff like CAD or high level designing, but for a gaming rig its good. If you can put a SSD for your OS/Games even better (my PC boot time is 5s). Samsun EVO 850 would do you: 256 GB for $110

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Are you able to grab a copy of aida 64? http://www.aida64.com/downloads

Grab a trial, and view the system summary
    This is to make sure that it is not an issue with things just not being detected properly.

Also press the windows + R key, then type in dxdiag and press enter. to see what windows is reporting for the direct x info.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Also be sure to look at the motherboard and display section of AIDA64. (make sure that all of the proper drivers are being used and that nothing was randomly using one of the generic crappy drivers from windows update).

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default New rig!!! New problems...

Sounds like a compatability issue.

Did you do a new clean install of windows after you put the rig together? If you just plopped an old hhd with windows installed into your new system then you will get these issues.

Another possibility is you have a incompatable motherboard for your CPU. Piledriver AMD processors like the one you have do fit into older motherboards that were designed to only support phenom ii and bulldozer processors. Check the manufacturer for compadability and also if there is a bios update for your motherboard. Please let us know what motherboard you have.

After a clean install and a bios update then you need to do a windows update. Run the update numerous times after several reboots until it says there are no more updates. once this is done then check each piece of hardware for newest drivers at their individual manufacturer websites i. e. nvidia for the gpu. (dont use the driver discs that come with the hardware, they are often first releases that are horribly out of date.)

More RAM will not speed up your boot time. The specifications on your system are fine but something is not working right.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ModJPB View Post

More RAM will not speed up your boot time. The specifications on your system are fine but something is not working right.
    Really? Completely false in his build.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The only time when more RAM will improve the boot speed, is when the system is beginning to use virtual memory, (thus he would have to be starting up with nearly all of his 8GB of memory already in use. At which point there will be a serious software issue and the system will be taking 20+ minutes to fully boot (he also would not have any luck at running a modern 3D game.

Other than that, more RAM will still do some good, especially if he likes having lots of tabs opened in the browser, while running a wide range of other applications, and gaming. (windows can allocate 1.5+ GB of RAM at startup, and firefox or chrome with lots of tabs, can then pull an additional 2+ GB, and then a demanding game can take an extra 3-4GB, and if a game needs more video memory than is available, it will also then allocate additional system memory for use by the GPU.

Overall, we will know more when we get a list of the full specs (AIDA64 will allow for a detailed spec list to be pulled).

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default New rig!!! New problems...

+1 on what makona said.

Mach1 I am basing the assumption that his 8GB of RAM is plenty for his system, because of the information he has given us so far. Windows at boot will use about 1.5GB plus any additional software that he may have installed afterwards. I doubt he is even using half of his sytem RAM during boot. The only time more RAM is needed is when you use it all up, otherwise there is no performance difference. If he shared more information to you then what he listed then it is possible he may need more. If he is running virtual machine or a system that is running multiple operating systems at the same time, it would then be beneficial to up the RAM.

The bottleneck for his system is the HDD. An SSD drive would make a drastic performance difference, but right now performance is not his issue. His hardware is not being detected correctly, he is having system errors, and with a 5min long bootup something is causing his system to try and load something that is not responding correctly.

I still suggest, check for all updates and motherboard compatability.

check if system is overheating with a piledriver cpu anything over 62C when overclocked can be unstable.

Check the hdd for errors.

Then try unplugging and removing all hardware the is not needed to boot. Try each stick of RAM by itself.

If still no go, then try wiping the entire hdd clean and install a fresh copy of windows.

Finally if still have problems then you may be one of the unlucky ones that received a bad cpu or motherboard. Check by using prime95 and memtest86.

Goodluck!!!

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Scipio's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The slow times might be the motherboard bus bottlenecking. Otherwise I'd check all the chip and wire seatings and make sure there's enough thermal paste underneath the cooler.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon4

i have a report file in .txt format but it wont let me attach it. its a complete report 1.92MB shouldnt be a problem. but then again im forum stupid. i dont want to paste a huge block because it is HUGE text wise

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon1

ok i figured it out evidently theres a max file size of 97.7KB for txt and doc files so heres a zip instead this is a complete report from aida64 extreme
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

It seems to be detecting all 8 cores
    PS for reports, the system summary and motherboard info is enough

Other than that, to confirm that all cores are being used by the OS, the benchmarks (mainly CPU Queen ) will allow you to easily find out

From the scores in the benchmarks, it is using all 8 cores, and from the score over the stock 8350, the score reflects the extra 280MHz

RAM throughput is also fine.

It also detects you as having direct x 11.1

If you would like to confirm the support externally, you can use the Star Swarm Stress Test
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/267130/

For the slower system boot up, there may be an IO intensive workload taking place.

A simply way to track this down,is to open task manager as soon as possible when booting up, then click on the performance tab, then launch the resource monitor.
    After that, head over to the disk tab, then sort by Total (B/sec) (the tiny arrow should be pointing down)

If system is using the most resources, and the antivirus is not, or if both system and antivirus are not both using a bunch of IO's, then you may have to use an applications such as codestuff starter http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/S.../Starter.shtml

and then disable any startup item that you do not need launching automatically at bootup.

If the AV and system are both using lots of IO, then your AV may be performing a quick scan at startup (many AV's do this). If this is the case with you, (I have never used Advanced SystemCare Ultimate), then you will have to see if you can disable the quick scan, or the AV's startup items to a delayed start.
    Hard drives suffer from significant slowdowns if they are receiving requests for data located in many different areas of the drive rather than a single task putting it through a linear read/ write. (the end result is a lot of disk activity after the desktop is visible because it is trying to load a number of startup items while a scan is going on.