I get enough exercise just pushing my luck AOD Member AOD_Suisfonia's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

Default Audo/Headset Switch?

Well, as some know, my Tiamat 7.1 died earlier and thus I've been using another headset. However, it seems I am one of those people that can't wear a headset for more than two hours before I start to get a really bad headache, thus I am trying to find a device that allows me to hook up external speakers and my headset (similar to the Tiamat did) but which also allows me to switch between the two functions so that when I'm not using my headset, I can use my speakers, but when I'm playing games (like Planetside 2, etc) I can switch to the headset for both voice and ingame sound.

I don't suppose any of our tech savy people here have any idea's and such?

Edit: and I misspell Audio.. ughs.. where's the darn coffee at >_<

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Suisfonia View Post
    Well, as some know, my Tiamat 7.1 died earlier and thus I've been using another headset. However, it seems I am one of those people that can't wear a headset for more than two hours before I start to get a really bad headache, thus I am trying to find a device that allows me to hook up external speakers and my headset (similar to the Tiamat did) but which also allows me to switch between the two functions so that when I'm not using my headset, I can use my speakers, but when I'm playing games (like Planetside 2, etc) I can switch to the headset for both voice and ingame sound.

I don't suppose any of our tech savy people here have any idea's and such?

Edit: and I misspell Audio.. ughs.. where's the darn coffee at >_<
    There's a program that someone had posted ages ago that let you do that. I just can't remember the name of it. You can always just get a USB Headset and leave it plugged in and use Windows Sound to switch which one is the priority. Or, find a really comfortable headset. Like the Kingston HyperX Cloud 1 headset.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Criggles's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Grab a sound card that has multiple outputs ( Stereo + Headphone Amp out). You can then switch on the fly that way as well. I do the same thing with my headphones + speakers. Look into some decent headphones that you find comfortable and perhaps try out some (open/ semi-open) headphones. They aren't the best if if there's very loud background noise, however, are more comfortable compared to most closed back headphones. You can grab a Modmic and attach it to the headphones to create a headset that performs better than most "gaming" headset. Also the whole 5.1/7.1 surround stuff is pretty gimmicky. Pick up a good set of audiophile grade cans and you'll find they sound miles better than whatever gaming headset is being sold.

For more headphone reviews: http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/over-ear

The forums are full of threads as well where people have reviewed several headphones in various price ranges so I'm positive you can find something that does the job perfect and fits your budget by doing some research there.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Criggles's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Personal Recommendation on a budget: Audio Technica AD700x
    https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic.../dp/B009S332TQ

Get a ModMic from www.modmic.com and you're good to go

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck AOD Member AOD_Suisfonia's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

Thank ya, I'll look into those, still though going to try and find an audio switch so I can alternate between using speakers, when I'm just playing by myself and not in a VOIP. Or a headset when I am.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Try these headphones https://www.amazon.com/Philips-A5Pro...phillips+a5pro
    They were designed in collaboration with Armin Van Buuren. The built quality is superb, lightweight metal (Like ALL METAL, no plastic at all).
    Here is the reveal video where Armin himself explains what has been done to design these sexy headphones.