Thought I'd shoot my way out, mix things up a bit. DarkSilhouette99's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Advice on upgrading CPU and MB please.

Hey guys, right now I am using an Intel i7 975 and EVGA X58 Classified MB. They are good pieces but I want to upgrade to keep up with the upcoming season. I was looking into the ASUS Z97 Pro MB and the Intel i7 4790 Haswell . Anyone have any advice on these pieces or if I should get something else? My budget is currently around 500 total for both pieces. If you know of anything just as good or better for the same price/cheaper, any help would be appreciated. Looking to buy here in the next week or 2. I also have a Corsair H80 CPU cooler so I will def. be able to OC my CPU.

-Dark

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I would look at maybe going a little cheaper on the CPU/MB and spend more on a vid card or even an SLI setup. The new games coming our are heavy on the CPU but they are even harder on the Vid. my .02

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Running a 780 Ti currently, would be more expensive to go Sli with that

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Eman25th's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Honestly i would look at an ASRock equivalent, i got burned on my last two ASUS MBs and even more so with their customer support, been very happy with my last 4 ASRock's. Bought ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer because it was on sale, and 4770k from a freind who works at intel for $160, very happy with it & my cosair cooler.

Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! Kobrakilla's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I like gigabyte mother boards. . I've had them for my last 3 boards and they have been bullet proof.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for the advice, Im gonna look into both those Gigabyte and ASRock. Any thoughts on the i7 4790K? I also found 2 others, a 4790S and just a 4790, whats the difference between 4790/4790S/4790K?

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The K series are unlocked so you can overclock them (always go with a K series unless you are going to build a really low powered system for use as a NAS or something)
    The 4790k is the same exact chip as the 4770k but it has a slight factory overclock and a better heat spreader so it should allow you to get better cooling without having the delid the CPU and replace the thermal compound under the heat spreader. (voids the warranty)

If you have the money, go with the 4790K, you will be able to get better overclocks without having to delid the CPU.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks!

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue xX1Rick1Xx's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Can't really give any advice in a mobo other than the new x99 chip set is coming out so you may want to check that out also as it allows ddr4.
    www.pcpartpicker.com does a excellent comparison of parts and instally finds the lowest price on the web . works for USA and Canada prices
    Last edited by xX1Rick1Xx; 09-16-2014 at 01:30 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_xX1Rick1Xx View Post
    Can't really give any advice in a mobo other than the new x99 chip set is coming out so you may want to check that out also as it allows ddr4.
    www.pcpartpicker.com does a excellent comparison of parts and instally finds the lowest price on the web . works for USA and Canada prices
    I don't use DDR4 so using that new chipset would kinda be a waste I think. Also since it isn't even out yet, when it comes out its going to be expensive. Thanks anyway.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_DarkSilhouette99 View Post
    I don't use DDR4 so using that new chipset would kinda be a waste I think. Also since it isn't even out yet, when it comes out its going to be expensive. Thanks anyway.
    Yeah i totally understand , ddr4 is the future though. i don't use it myself but not to long ago ddr2 was the thing to have ... i runn a i5-4670k cpu on gigabyte m85 board with 8gs ddr3 ram at 1866htz.

here is a good link to cpu reviews base on pefromace Vs Budget . you can pretty much look up your budget and see what the best at the price point and see if much value/performace is achieved by spending more/less

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...06.htmlhttp://

also check out cpu boss for more reviews

http://cpuboss.com/

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

That should say GIGABYTE B85M-D3H . and i don't'think you can go wrong with the z97 chipset or a board form asus or gigabyte.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for all the info and help guys. I ended up buying the ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X and the i7 4790K, Parts will be here tomorrow 9/19/14. I will probably start a new thread but can anyone help me with OC of the CPU. I am new to this tech game (always had my systems prof-built and never done it myself.) I was reading through this forum at all the help previously given to other people and you all were throwing out terms i've never heard, lol. So if anyone would be willing to help me OC my cpu I would very much appreciate it. I have a Corsair H80 Cpu cooler. Thanks again for all the help.

Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! Kobrakilla's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Mokona512 View Post
    The K series are unlocked so you can overclock them (always go with a K series unless you are going to build a really low powered system for use as a NAS or something)
    The 4790k is the same exact chip as the 4770k but it has a slight factory overclock and a better heat spreader so it should allow you to get better cooling without having the delid the CPU and replace the thermal compound under the heat spreader. (voids the warranty)

If you have the money, go with the 4790K, you will be able to get better overclocks without having to delid the CPU.
    I thought Sandy bridge and newer use fluxless solder which solved that issue.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

intel always had talks of improving the heat spreader, but they never really got around to it until the 4790k which uses some kind of thermal epoxy (unable to delid the CPU)
    With a 4770k, deliding the CPU and replacing the thermal compound can cause a 15-20C temperature drop when under a high overclock (e.g., 1.3-1.33V 4.7+GHz ).

the 4790K and newer cannot be delidded.

Also never run a newer intel or AMD CPU without the heat spreader, the newer CPU's have larger dies and thus are highly likely to break at the slightest hint of uneven pressure during the heatsink install process. the larger die also increases the likelihood of inconsistency in the supporting material thus allowing even even pressure to still destroy the CPU die.

4770k delid

edit: 4790k can be delidded but it is very risky
    Last edited by Mokona512; 09-19-2014 at 05:47 AM.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! TEC/BMonty's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I was going to suggest that you check if there is a Micro Center anywhere near you (until I read that you already purchased the parts.) If you drive there and pick up the parts you need, Micro Center sells 4790k processors for about 50 dollars less than online sources. However, they aren't always in stock.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I am happy with my i7 CPU, however I was told that it was overkill and could have got equal performance with i5...running PlanetSide2. Someone please correct me if that is totally off base.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The core i7 offers little to no benefit when it comes to gaming as most games tend to use 1-3 threads. It is simply extremely rare to find a game that will properly use multiple cores, and for the ones that do, they are usually so well optimized in other ways that the CPU is not an issue and they will run well even on older CPU's to a point where the GPU is the main bottleneck.

If you do a lot of tasks that are truly multithreaded, then a core i7 will be very beneficial as the hyper threading can sometimes add an extra 10-20% performance boost, especially with CAD and 3D modeling applications (which is pretty awesome considering how fast the CPU already is, and that game happens without the need of additional cores)

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Null0000's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Currently only Crysis 3, Battlefield 3/4, Planetside 2, and Watch Dogs benefit from HT. There will probably be more in the future. I think i7 can also handle multiple GPUs better. Planetside 2 is now utilizing more cores because they are preparing for the PS4 lauch, which has 8 cores. Initially, Planetside 2 only utilized 1 core, which meant you were better off with the i3, but you can thank the PS4 architecture for the improvement.