Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Scalded Dog! - Ultimate Game Rig

GTX 580 vid card.... nuff said.

When this computer fries, I want to have the best gaming rig available and yes, I can afford it (up to $5000 anyways). I want it to be a beast! A Scalded Dog! A Screaming Banshee!

What do you 'super gaming pros' suggest? I will write down your answers.

Now.... another question..... as Im not that computer saavy.... Is the video cable from the PC to the monitor all standard for all PC's?

Thanks! ~ Crackkkkkk

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by Crackkkkkk View Post

When this computer fries, I want to have the best gaming rig available and yes, I can afford it (up to $5000 anyways). I want it to be a beast! A Scalded Dog! A Screaming Banshee!

Now.... another question..... as Im not that computer saavy.... Is the video cable from the PC to the monitor all standard for all PC's?

Thanks! ~ Crackkkkkk
    The video cable coming from your Motherboard/Graphics card(s) could be one of many types, likely D-Sub or DVI, but to answer your question, yes most cables(HDMI,DisplayPort,DVI-A,DVI-I,D-Sub, ETC) are 'cross compatible' with the card as long as your MONITOR has the same Connection(IE: Your GTX 980 has a DisplayPort Connection, as long as you have a monitor with a DisplayPort Connection, it will work fine)

The Token Staff Sergeant Master Butters's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Up to $5,000?

Here you go: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/j79Tf7

Keep honking. I'm reloading Crackkkkkk's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for the video cable info. I am thinking mine has developed something loose as my monitor will not display a thing when I fire up my computer.

$5000
    So from what I gather... that is two TITAN X video cards linked together. Is that good? I suppose a computer shop could assemble it for me?

The Token Staff Sergeant Master Butters's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by Crackkkkkk View Post
    Thanks for the video cable info. I am thinking mine has developed something loose as my monitor will not display a thing when I fire up my computer.

$5000
    So from what I gather... that is two TITAN X video cards linked together. Is that good? I suppose a computer shop could assemble it for me?
    Titan X's are the current best gaming video cards on the market, with EVGA's Hybrid version being a little better (My opinion) since they are water cooled AIO solutions with no hassle. Putting those in SLI would be a little tricky since each would have its own radiator (Plus a liquid cooler for the CPU), but with a full size tower, you may be able to do it. You really couldn't go wrong with 2 Titan X's in SLI, and it would most definitely future proof you for years to come.

Which button is shoot again.....? AOD Member AOD_Mickgoth's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Ok so i got your cooling sorted, want to run your CPU at -10c under full load?? (yes -10c!!)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Mickgoth View Post
    Ok so i got your cooling sorted, want to run your CPU at -10c under full load?? (yes -10c!!)

Thats inpractical, I know its a joke though :) Plus, the cooling performance wouldnt be linear

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

ALERT! -- My monitor is dying. Finally after 3.5 hours it popped on. I have been looking at a replacement monitor on my wife's computer but I am honestly confused. As I said I have a GTX 580 Video card. The monitor I looked at is a BenQ BL3200PT 32 inch WQHD 10 bit USB x 4 HDMI 23ms response time. The reviews look pretty good...... but will my computer run this? My present dying monitor is a Hanspree HF289H 27 inch (obsolete). It works great when it decides to come ON. Okay, any help, insight will be appreciated . Thanks!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Crackkkkkk View Post
    ALERT! -- My monitor is dying. Finally after 3.5 hours it popped on. I have been looking at a replacement monitor on my wife's computer but I am honestly confused. As I said I have a GTX 580 Video card. The monitor I looked at is a BenQ BL3200PT 32 inch WQHD 10 bit USB x 4 HDMI 23ms response time. The reviews look pretty good...... but will my computer run this? My present dying monitor is a Hanspree HF289H 27 inch (obsolete). It works great when it decides to come ON. Okay, any help, insight will be appreciated . Thanks!
    I doubt your GTX 580 Will be able to run a 1440p(QuadHD) 32" Monitor, 1080p is probably your best bet Crackk, A few similar(and lower) price monitors I recommend personally I've listed below:

1) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-177-_-Product ($299 USD on Newegg)
    ** On any of these monitors I'd recommend locking your frame rates at 60-65FPS, Because I dont think youll be able to pull 144FPS+ in BF4 to match higher refresh rates like 120/144Hz. That way you get smooth FPS, good Pixel response times(1ms on this monitor), Without going over the capabilities of your GPU :)

2) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236313 ($259.99 USD on Newegg)

3) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824014384 ($399.99 USD on Newegg)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks Grady. I do want to have at least a 27 inch or larger monitor.
    I did see this and thought it might work but it has a tihng called a GROM that can change the Hz from 100 to 120 to 144...... but can it run at 60Hz? Take a look.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824014375

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

@Mickgoth, no matter how many cooler you have, the lowest possible temp you can have is room temp (unless you're using helium/nitrogen). Coolers only move heat away from the components, the reason the guy in the video measured freezing temps is because of change in air pressure. Or he lied.

@Crackkkkkk, if you are going to spend 5k on a computer, especially on dual Titans, it would be ABSOLUTELY INSANE for them to only power a 1080p monitor. Even 1440p is way too low for that. I'd say 1440p ultra wide is the minimum for that kind of GPU power, but you can also run 4K resolution or some kind of multi monitor setup. Depends on what do you want out of your monitor.

I see you play BF. Do you play a lot of FPS games competitively? Get Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q.

Do you care more about being immersed in your games? Get one of the curved 34" 1440p ultra wide ones.

How far do you sit from a monitor? The closer you sit, the more you will notice the pixels and the more high res monitor you will need.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks Grady. I do want to have at least a 27 inch or larger monitor.
    I did see this and thought it might work but it has a tihng called a GROM that can change the Hz from 100 to 120 to 144...... but can it run at 60Hz? Take a look.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824014375
    That looks like a great monitor, it has variable horizontal and vertical refresh rates, so be sure that you set them both to the same value(i recommend 60-65FPS); It appears so though.
    I think you should consider investing In a new Graphics Card ( GTX 970/980), 580 is pretty dated and would be hard-pressed to run some of these monitors above 100+Hz

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! CookiezFort's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Because you have such a high budget I wouldn't like, you know use all of it.

If you want to play at 4K resolution which is slightly difficult but doable I would go for that titanX build, else I would go either 4k or 1440p with a build along the lines of

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hqpNmG, this build includes a 1440p monitor but can easily push 4k if you put one more 980ti on it

Which button is shoot again.....? AOD Member AOD_Mickgoth's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_RedBag View Post
    @Mickgoth, no matter how many cooler you have, the lowest possible temp you can have is room temp (unless you're using helium/nitrogen). Coolers only move heat away from the components, the reason the guy in the video measured freezing temps is because of change in air pressure. Or he lied.

@Crackkkkkk, if you are going to spend 5k on a computer, especially on dual Titans, it would be ABSOLUTELY INSANE for them to only power a 1080p monitor. Even 1440p is way too low for that. I'd say 1440p ultra wide is the minimum for that kind of GPU power, but you can also run 4K resolution or some kind of multi monitor setup. Depends on what do you want out of your monitor.

I see you play BF. Do you play a lot of FPS games competitively? Get Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q.

Do you care more about being immersed in your games? Get one of the curved 34" 1440p ultra wide ones.

How far do you sit from a monitor? The closer you sit, the more you will notice the pixels and the more high res monitor you will need.
    +1 for the ASUS ROG Swift (with GTX 980 Evga FTW) best monitor i ever had and i don't see much out that that comes close. Already saving for another to replace my 1080p second monitor

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks! ~ Crackkkkkk
    Putting together a parts list for the scalded dog for you this morning, ill post it up when i finish it :)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

These are great suggestions and I am refering to this thread ALOT so I can check out everything you knowledgable guys recommend. I do appreciate the input so very much! ~ Crackkkkkk

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

My monitor has finally refused to come 'ON' so I've ordered an LG 34UM67 to replace it. It is 1080p at 60 to 75 HZ and a latency of 5 ms, so not bad for a wide screen. It had very favorable reviews. Hopefully, it will arrive from California sometime this week. Until then, no gaming for me. Maybe the grass will get cut. LOL Id like to give a special shoutout to Grady for his help and for putting together a computer package for me that will save some money and still be a gaming beast. You went the extra mile in helping, Grady! Thank you! -------------- Crackkkkkk

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Sent you a PM with an update Crackkkkkk