Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Kc2000's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Opinions on SSDs

I'm planning on upgrading from my crummy current HDD to an SSD.
    Currently looking at getting the Samsung 850 Pro 128GB ($130 on Amazon) and was wondering if anyone owned the 840 Pro/EVO and had any opinions on the performance?

My current HDD is a Seagate 500GB 7200RPM using a much older WD Blue 220GB 5400RPM as data storage. The plan is to migrate data over to the Seagate for storage and pretty much kill off the WD Blue as it's roughly 10+ years old by now.

Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! AOD Member AOD_Blankwindow's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

I have no comment on the SDD as the only SDDs I have used thus far are from SanDisk.

But as to data storage. I agree temporarily move the data to the 500GB, but when you have another spare $70-100 get a >=1TB HDD so that you have plenty of storage space, and your storage drive will be new instead of being an abused ex-root. (your root drive is abused by the OS.)

Or if you have the little bit more money. look in to one of the hybrid drives that are 1TB HDD platters with a 60-200 gb SDD attached. The files you use on your storage drive the most will be cached in the SDD portion for quick retrieval. Less used \unused files will be moved to the HDD portion for long term storage. And the drive does the switching on it's own based on you current usage. Definition of length of time frame that is "Current" varies depending on drive manufacturer..

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue DreadlordFred's Avatar
    Rank
    Recruit
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

or goto newegg.com and get a 240gig ssd for around $119.00 they are much faster and with no moving parts you have less problems with defraging and info loss

Can I have your Tots drummerguy12005's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I only have used a single ssd while my time in the computing world, so I cannot speak for that SSD. I think upgrading my OS to an SSD was one of the best things I have ever done for my computer. I took the easy route and just installed my OS onto the SSD and deleted the old system files, and program files from my old SSD. I was having some driver issues any so a clean OS install was what I really needed anyway. But yes, GET AN SSD!

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have built a few systems with the 840 pro, and it is by far the best SSD for the SATA bus of its time with being able to handle over 1PB of writes with no unrecoverable errors. The EVO drives use the far less reliable and error prone TLC flash which uses relies heavily on the controllers error correction ability, with an exponential increase in the error rate after about 100TB of writes.
    The 850 pro uses a new flash technology with a 30nm design, and they claim to have 10 times more write endurance, and better response times. since it just came out, there is no consumer reliability data, and there is nothing to really compare it to, but it does have a 10 year warranty (though it is void if you write more than 150TB to the drive)

If I were to buy an SSD today, I would go for the 850 pro (256GB model which is faster)

I currently use a sandisk ultra SSD and it works well and the 850 pro is the first SSD that I have seen that would give a large enough performance boost to justify an upgrade, without going with the super expensive PCIe SSD's

When I eventually upgrade (when there is a good sale on the 256GB 850 pro), I will dedicate my sandisk drive to my steam library, and adobe applications scratch disk, while keeping the 850pro for the OS, main applications, and multiplayer games

In the long run MLC flash is a far better value than the cheaper TLC flash, especially when you consider how much longer lasting, and more reliable the MLC flash is.

If the claims by samsung are true for the 850, then we may finally get a non SLC flash SSD that may last as long or even outlive a PC that is heavily used on a daily basis.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Wanted to also add, never use the migration software to move an OS from an HDD to an SSD, it never performs as well as a fresh install.

My recommendation is to do a fresh install, and then for each 3rd party application installed (you can also copy over the windows media folder if you want to maintain your playlist), copy its program files and program data entries over to the new install, and for programs which same some data in the program files folder, also copy those over. After all of that, then install those programs using the proper installer (do not run them without doing that), after installing the programs things should work well with all of your settings customizations and all other changes you have made, this works especially great for web browsers.

Some SSD migration software will maintain partition alignment while most will not. if partition alignment is off, you will get a massive drop in performance, and a 5-8 fold increase in the internal IO's and writes that the drive makes, which will significantly shorten the life of the drive.

But even without that, a non fresh install will load drivers and other items that are no longer needed.

All in all, stick with a fresh install when going from HDD to SSD, and use migration for SSD to SSD transfers.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Frostythehitman21's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have 2 840 Evo a 250 and 500 both performed right out of the box to factory spec, once you install the samsung software you can over clock them so to speak basically makes your system optimized for ssd and you can get well over the advertised speeds, i use the 250 for windows install and some small programs, the 500 is for my main games. also play around with the SATA connections because depending on what SATA connections you have can decrease performance a STAT 3 Gb/s port is recommended and a 6 Gb/s port will be the best , and inlet controller on my set up was faster than marvel ports. but any who a ssd will walk circles around any hhd i rember my first ssd an intel 120 and that was one of the slow ones when it first came out it was still fast compared to a hdd

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The samsung software speeds the evo by using 1GB of system RAM as a cache, while it does significantly speed things up, there is an increased risk of data loss if the system crashes or loses power.

for linear performance, the 840 evo is already faster than the 6gbit SATA bus. so for most tasks, a user will not be able to tell the difference from the 840 evo, and the 850 pro, but if you are doing database style workloads which essentially chain together lots of small reads and writes, then there will be a massive improvement with the 850 pro due to the better and higher IO consistency. (it will not really help with system boot speeds or application launch times (for most applications), but if you were to do something like run multiple file scanners at one time, or run multiple virtual machines, then it will be very good to have.

The main reason for moving to an 850 pro over an evo, is the massively higher write endurance. From some of the endurance test, a heavy user may kill their 250GB 840 pro within around 5 years if they regularly use applications such as photoshop, adobe premiere pro, maya and a number of other professional cache heavy applications.

With my regular use of these applications, I end up putting around 40TB of writes per year to my sandisk SSD, (120GB SSD 32nm design). If I were to put this workload on a 250GB 840 pro, then in a little over 2 years, the error correction on the 840 pro will have to work significantly harder, and will still occasionally have a number of unrecoverable errors. While with MLC, I would have to maintain that workload for around 15 years before I started to develop unrecoverable errors.

wessoo

I can definetly recommend using SSDs for windows and programs.
    If you have the money, I would go for SSDs for games aswell (it will cost you though). It will speed up the loading time (loading screens), definetly recommend it for RTS games, like any of the Total War series.

Just don't forget that you do not ever defragment a SSD, it doesn't make it faster and it only decreases the lifetime of your ssd.

Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! AOD Member AOD_Blankwindow's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_wessoo View Post

Just don't forget that you do not ever defragment a SSD, it doesn't make it faster and it only decreases the lifetime of your ssd.
    On that note, Windows 7 and newer are set to automatically defrag once a week. Supposedly windows is supposed to disable the auto-defrag on SDDs, but from my experience that is not always the case.

So verify that windows isn't doing scheduled defrags once a week as well.

I completely forgot about mentioning that till saw wessoo's post.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue sinthetic's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

SSD's are WELL worth the money. As far as which is the best its debatable. Just know ANY SSD will blow any HDD out the water. I highly recommend getting an SSD. Some advice is to only run what you need on the SSD. Like OS, frequently used programs etc. Then push stuff like games, movies, pictures etc to the HDD.

Foxtrot, Unicorn, Charlie, Kilo Neotoad's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_DreadlordFred View Post
    or goto newegg.com and get a 240gig ssd for around $119.00 they are much faster and with no moving parts you have less problems with defraging and info loss
    You should NEVER defrag a SSD.

Knee High to a Worms Ass YummySushiPjs's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD. So much so in fact that I think I'm going to throw a 128GB version in my older PC just so it boots up faster when my nephew wants to use it.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Romanion's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The Crucial MX100 is a pretty good SSD thats also affordable at only $110 for 256GB.

Foxtrot, Unicorn, Charlie, Kilo Neotoad's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_YummySushiPjs View Post
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD. So much so in fact that I think I'm going to throw a 128GB version in my older PC just so it boots up faster when my nephew wants to use it.
    I also have the 840 pro. Have not had a single problem with it. Just a lovely piece of hardware.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Romanion View Post
    The Crucial MX100 is a pretty good SSD thats also affordable at only $110 for 256GB.
    This sounds pretty awesome. I'll have to do some price vs performance comparisons with the 840PRO though but sounds like I might buy 2 if it's pretty top-notch.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Romanion's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Kc2000 View Post
    This sounds pretty awesome. I'll have to do some price vs performance comparisons with the 840PRO though but sounds like I might buy 2 if it's pretty top-notch.

If you're upgrading from a HDD everything is awesome.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I ended buying the Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB. I did a price-match at Staples($130) vs Amazon($75) and shaved $15 off the price($50). When I'll get to re-installing Windoze and everything else is a different problem entirely however

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue BenGalf's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

My ONLY recommendation would be to get anything ABOVE 240Gb

:)

I've owned 2 128Gb SSD's and they actually fill up pretty quickly. Invest a little more but get at least 240.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! WheelOfFish's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_BenGalf View Post
    My ONLY recommendation would be to get anything ABOVE 240Gb

:)

I've owned 2 128Gb SSD's and they actually fill up pretty quickly. Invest a little more but get at least 240.
    There's usually a big performance jump between the 128 and 240+GB drives as well. In some cases now that jump may not come until the 512GB territory depending on the controller, number of memory chips used, but details. Short story, look for 240+GB drives. I agree, 128GB fills fast and if you care about more than booting fast (I rarely reboot) the larger drive is important for your apps.

I have my OS and most programs on a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro but I also have a Crucial M4 256GB with games, lightroom catalog and a couple other things on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast