Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon7 Depression and getting better

Hey everyone, don't know if this is the right place for this but I just kinda had the idea and though there should be a thread for it. Also i'm not great at putting my thoughts into words so sorry in advanced.

I'll give a little info about myself, I do have depression and some pretty bad anxiety, in all honesty talking to new people scares the hell out of me but at the same time it's what I want to do most. Talk, play games, etc, etc. That's really all the relevant info about myself.

So okay let's get to it, I wanted to say some things about AOD and to others who have Depression,Anxiety, and issues such as that.

AOD is a pretty great group to be a part of, though i'm new I think i'll be sticking around for a long while. I've started talking a bit more than I normally would, getting to know some people. Having fun playing games without having to worry about toxic interaction, it's nice. It's hard sometimes to even talk in communicative games for some of us, I guess in a way the more social a game becomes the greater the "barrier" is, sorry if it sounds weird but i'm sure some of you get that feeling that "barrier" i'm talking about. But since i've joined this "barrier" has started to fade and I can have fun playing more team based or even PvP games. The servers, TS, organized events, etc makes all this so great. Some of us use video games as a way of escapism from the real world,and it can be self destructive, but AOD helps by making it a good thing, social, friendly. I'm sure there are others like me who are in AOD and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who makes this all possible.

If anyone is going through Depression, Anxiety, etc we can talk about it here, i'll be checking the thread from time to time. If you want to talk more personal or private, just want someone to talk to and are feeling really down you can PM me on steam at http://steamcommunity.com/id/BettyTheMale/ or if i'm in the TS ask to talk.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do. J3ST3RKN1GHT's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hey, Bettythemale I am so glad that you have enjoyed your time here in AOD thus far!

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Im on board a sinking ship of misfits. beerddlovliness's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hey Betty, I didnt even know and couldnt tell you had these problems. I thought you might just be one of us quiet ones haha. Anyways, I am glad we are able to help out with some of it. Youre a great player and teammate and I enjoy playing with you. Hopefully you'll eventually become one of us loudmouths haha.

Thanks for sharing :D

I hope to see you! On the battlefield! AOD Member AOD_Shadox's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Time is one of the main factors when it comes to healing, I don't know your personal story, but I have been dealing with a lot of the same issues since I was diagnosed with PTSD. Its been 3 years and I just now feel like I'm starting to make progress. But let me give you some tips that have helped me so far.

Find a Constructive hobby, something that you work hard on and at a later time can look back on and be proud of, for me this is video editing and creation, I'm getting better at it every time I complete a new project, and It's really helping me feel like I'm actually accomplishing something.

Talk to someone or something, Whether its family, a friend, one of us, just talk. There are times where I just lay in bed with my service dog and talk to her, I know she doesn't understand what I'm saying, but Just the act of speaking out loud really is therapeutic.

Take time to self-reflect through the day, whether it be meditation, working out, or going for a walk. Take time where you arnt being distracted from anything and go over in your head whats bothering you, This was a huge one that really helped my insomnia, as taking an hour or so to deal with issues kept me from doing just that while I'm trying to fall asleep.

Hope something I said helps, If you need anything or just want to talk, feel free to pm me or grab me on teamspeak.
    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_dc88 View Post
    Shadox went on LOA until Feb. This drove Deity into a deep depression and he stepped down as CO so now Redguard is our boss. He managed to keep Deity on as XO.

*note* this is sensationalized cliffnotes.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! 2PProject's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have a couple family members that suffer with Depression and Anxiety as well. My wife's cousin copes with it by pushing herself and her art (she does a lot of amazing artwork) out into the world through Deviant Art as well as showcasing her work at comic/video game cons. She never used to be able to even leave her house it was so bad. She met and married a really good person who understands her quite well and helps her through her troubles. I couldn't imagine ever going through something like that and I commend you for sticking with AOD. I'm only just new to AOD but the people here are really welcoming. Enjoy your time and I hope working with people here on the forums and in the game helps grow you as an individual and pushes you through those tough times.

Maybe I'll see you in game sometime!

~Split

I say! Some blithering oaf has scratched my paintwork with their bally ammo! LeoSayersWig's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hey, Well done to everyone that posted here.

The Black Dog is what everyone refuses to talk about. I know, I lost a good comrade to the fucker a while back.

The first step is talking. The second step is to not feel like you are a bad person for having survived a particular event.

My Background: 27 years served as a Royal Engineer in the British Army.

No Bragging Rights, just saying if you want to open up a bit to someone, I'm here.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Entity94 View Post
    Hey Betty, I didnt even know and couldnt tell you had these problems. I thought you might just be one of us quiet ones haha. Anyways, I am glad we are able to help out with some of it. Youre a great player and teammate and I enjoy playing with you. Hopefully you'll eventually become one of us loudmouths haha.

Thanks for sharing :D
    I am normally kinda on the silent side but yea the more I get to know people the more i'll talk. Thanks :)

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Shadoxfilms View Post
    Time is one of the main factors when it comes to healing, I don't know your personal story, but I have been dealing with a lot of the same issues since I was diagnosed with PTSD. Its been 3 years and I just now feel like I'm starting to make progress. But let me give you some tips that have helped me so far.

Find a Constructive hobby, something that you work hard on and at a later time can look back on and be proud of, for me this is video editing and creation, I'm getting better at it every time I complete a new project, and It's really helping me feel like I'm actually accomplishing something.

Talk to someone or something, Whether its family, a friend, one of us, just talk. There are times where I just lay in bed with my service dog and talk to her, I know she doesn't understand what I'm saying, but Just the act of speaking out loud really is therapeutic.

Take time to self-reflect through the day, whether it be meditation, working out, or going for a walk. Take time where you arnt being distracted from anything and go over in your head whats bothering you, This was a huge one that really helped my insomnia, as taking an hour or so to deal with issues kept me from doing just that while I'm trying to fall asleep.

Hope something I said helps, If you need anything or just want to talk, feel free to pm me or grab me on teamspeak.
    I've been looking for hobby's for a while, might give coding a swing, i'll find one eventually. But thank you for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_splitfocus View Post
    I have a couple family members that suffer with Depression and Anxiety as well. My wife's cousin copes with it by pushing herself and her art (she does a lot of amazing artwork) out into the world through Deviant Art as well as showcasing her work at comic/video game cons. She never used to be able to even leave her house it was so bad. She met and married a really good person who understands her quite well and helps her through her troubles. I couldn't imagine ever going through something like that and I commend you for sticking with AOD. I'm only just new to AOD but the people here are really welcoming. Enjoy your time and I hope working with people here on the forums and in the game helps grow you as an individual and pushes you through those tough times.

Maybe I'll see you in game sometime!

~Split
    Thank you, hope to play with you sometime as well. :)

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_LeoSayersWig View Post
    Hey, Well done to everyone that posted here.

The Black Dog is what everyone refuses to talk about. I know, I lost a good comrade to the fucker a while back.

The first step is talking. The second step is to not feel like you are a bad person for having survived a particular event.

My Background: 27 years served as a Royal Engineer in the British Army.

No Bragging Rights, just saying if you want to open up a bit to someone, I'm here.
    I'm sorry for your loss, I can't imagine what it's like to have lost someone in that way. My father had a friend who recently could not win his fight with that dog. A lot of respect for sharing, I hope we can chat sometime. Thank you.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! AOD Member AOD_majstingray's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

I also have family members who have suffered from depression it hasn't hit me but I'm on the lookout for it as it does run in my family I guess my mom was depressed for a little while she's better now but more recently my grandfather was suffering from depression his second time with it I think I'm not sure if he is still suffering from it but earlier in the year it got so bad that he had to be hospitalized for it apparently he was having suicidal thoughts even planning something with sleeping pills but luckily it was found out before anything happened he actually told his doctor but he is out of the hosp[ital I think. I'm always happy to talk to anyone who needs it I'm here for everyone.

Level Designer and Game Developer Vapour's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    Jedi Knight
    Status
    Retired

AOD is definitely good place that bring out the confidence out, has alot of members that want to help you and get involved with many games.

I had a nightshift job at a supermarket and they treated me like crap which caused me to become stressed and to develop epilepsy causing me to have atleast 2-3 seizures every 2 month. i began to lose interest in working there and started to piss about by setting fire alarms off etc but during this time the way they treated me my epilespy became worse and i started to smoke pot and i actually left the company with immediate effect on my bday cos i had enough of there crap. After i left that company it actually started to get better and had less frequent seizures. It has been a year and a month since i left that place and now im working security for a company in my town/holiday park and i actually enjoy it even if i have to work 14.3 hours per night and im 8+ plus seizure free. When i rejoined AOD about a month and half ago i would/still go to an Empty channel and play on my own due to the employers fault of treating me bad (Jedi Knight) but im slowing re-learning interacting with people etc.

i know this might not be related, but im hoping things get better for you and you are well :)

(p.s. I wouldnt nornally talk about my personal situation unless its to a close friend or family members)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_majstingray View Post
    I also have family members who have suffered from depression it hasn't hit me but I'm on the lookout for it as it does run in my family I guess my mom was depressed for a little while she's better now but more recently my grandfather was suffering from depression his second time with it I think I'm not sure if he is still suffering from it but earlier in the year it got so bad that he had to be hospitalized for it apparently he was having suicidal thoughts even planning something with sleeping pills but luckily it was found out before anything happened he actually told his doctor but he is out of the hosp[ital I think. I'm always happy to talk to anyone who needs it I'm here for everyone.
    Thank you for sharing, it's hard when someone you care about is going through depression. It's still somewhat of a taboo thing to openly talk about but it's good that you are open to.

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_TardisMania View Post
    AOD is definitely good place that bring out the confidence out, has alot of members that want to help you and get involved with many games.

I had a nightshift job at a supermarket and they treated me like crap which caused me to become stressed and to develop epilepsy causing me to have atleast 2-3 seizures every 2 month. i began to lose interest in working there and started to piss about by setting fire alarms off etc but during this time the way they treated me my epilespy became worse and i started to smoke pot and i actually left the company with immediate effect on my bday cos i had enough of there crap. After i left that company it actually started to get better and had less frequent seizures. It has been a year and a month since i left that place and now im working security for a company in my town/holiday park and i actually enjoy it even if i have to work 14.3 hours per night and im 8+ plus seizure free. When i rejoined AOD about a month and half ago i would/still go to an Empty channel and play on my own due to the employers fault of treating me bad (Jedi Knight) but im slowing re-learning interacting with people etc.

i know this might not be related, but im hoping things get better for you and you are well :)

(p.s. I wouldnt nornally talk about my personal situation unless its to a close friend or family members)
    Thank you for sharing as well, it's good that you are interacting with people again. Yea I too normally don't tell others of personal stuff but I think it's important in discussions like this so we can understand each other better.

If you can't keep your head over the gray sky, learn to dance in the rain SugarBabe's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_BettyTheMale View Post
    Hey everyone, don't know if this is the right place for this but I just kinda had the idea and though there should be a thread for it. Also i'm not great at putting my thoughts into words so sorry in advanced.

I'll give a little info about myself, I do have depression and some pretty bad anxiety, in all honesty talking to new people scares the hell out of me but at the same time it's what I want to do most. Talk, play games, etc, etc. That's really all the relevant info about myself.

So okay let's get to it, I wanted to say some things about AOD and to others who have Depression,Anxiety, and issues such as that.

AOD is a pretty great group to be a part of, though i'm new I think i'll be sticking around for a long while. I've started talking a bit more than I normally would, getting to know some people. Having fun playing games without having to worry about toxic interaction, it's nice. It's hard sometimes to even talk in communicative games for some of us, I guess in a way the more social a game becomes the greater the "barrier" is, sorry if it sounds weird but i'm sure some of you get that feeling that "barrier" i'm talking about. But since i've joined this "barrier" has started to fade and I can have fun playing more team based or even PvP games. The servers, TS, organized events, etc makes all this so great. Some of us use video games as a way of escapism from the real world,and it can be self destructive, but AOD helps by making it a good thing, social, friendly. I'm sure there are others like me who are in AOD and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who makes this all possible.

If anyone is going through Depression, Anxiety, etc we can talk about it here, i'll be checking the thread from time to time. If you want to talk more personal or private, just want someone to talk to and are feeling really down you can PM me on steam at http://steamcommunity.com/id/BettyTheMale/ or if i'm in the TS ask to talk.
    Depressions sucks and I have been dealing with it as well, if you ever need someone to talk with or a helping hand, im always open to help :)