If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Zayveon's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Mixing Ram

Alrighty, I'm slowly gathering up some funds to upgrade.
    Right now I'm running 4gb (2x2gb) DDR3, i5-3570 CPU, 64-bit Win7 and Two Radeon HD4870 512mb versions in Cross-fire, Mobo Giga-Byte GA-B75M-D3H.
    Sometime mid 2014 I'll be grabbing a R9 270X or 280 once funds allow.

Right now I'm looking at RAM as it's largely cheaper than a new GPU.

I've currently got LINK.
    And I'm wanting to upgrade to 8gb+

So I can either buy an identical set and run 4x2gb sticks, or I can grab a 2x4gb kit + my current and be sitting at 12gb.

The 2x4gb kit is LINK

They seem to have the same timings/frequency and such, so I'm wondering if I'd run into a problem trying to use them together.

What do you guys suggest?
    Or maybe get a new GPU then RAM, or just scrap the entire system and build a new one.

Also. Don't mind the shocking prices & terrible websites, that's New Zealand for you.
    I wish Newegg shipped to NZ.

Looks like a tropical earthquake blew through here! GaseousSnake's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I believe you need to have the same ram to run in dual channel, which is ideal. Your best bet would be to buy a RAM kit (ie: 2x4gb)

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Symthic's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_GaseousSnake View Post
    I believe you need to have the same ram to run in dual channel, which is ideal. Your best bet would be to buy a RAM kit (ie: 2x4gb)
    This is correct. It is generally advisable to try mixing RAM as they have to be nearly identical for them to be able to work together. Even if you buy 2 sticks of the exact same RAM, they might not work together, but this is a fairly rare occurrence, however, this only applies to buying two sticks separately. If you buy multiple sticks of RAM that come together (e.g 2 x 4GB), then the manufacturer of the RAM will check that they work together before selling it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Personally, i mixed ram of different size, frequency, voltage and timings, and it worked. Just know that your mobo will automatically set all your ram sticks to the slowest performance of the two.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Damnation's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL

If that is definitely the number on your RAM they will work together. If not it depends on how robust your motherboard is. Some just won't work, some like mine (ASUS x58 sabertooth) can handle large differences. And will as RedBag said, under-clocking any differences.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Yetzederixx's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

There's a lot of superstition surrounding RAM left over from a time when it mattered a lot (I for one will only put a power of two in a machine, but I was a sailor so superstition is par for the course). My rule of thumb when mixing ram is to get a package deal for each channel if you can't afford to get everything. So basically each channel has it's own 'brand' of RAM. As people pointed out it's not recommended, but it'll work. Make sure your BIOS settings are to the lowest common frequency for the slowest RAM, and if the new RAM is >= the amount of old RAM I'd still be tempted to ditch the old stuff.

When I bought my 16GB of RAM I got it on sale on Newegg for pretty cheap with 4x4GB in one package, but it would seem that I indeed got a great deal when I bought it since $150 is as cheap as they have it on Newegg right now and I paid < 100.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ram can be mixed as long as it is balanced across each channel, e.g., 1 2GB and 1 4GB per channel, you can then use the timings and speeds from the lowest performing model of RAM that you have installed.

After that, it will be completely stable. You can even begin to overclock from that point on.

I currently run 12GB using the config above, and furthermore, I bumped the voltage, and overclocked the RAM.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Mixing Ram

Mixing RAM is possible but not ideal. Your timings will be set to the slowest spec of lowest spec DRAM module. Also check the voltages. Older chips run better at higher voltages while the new stuff runs at lower voltage. You can still mix them but you may to further slow the timings. 8Gb seems to be the point of diminishing returns. I had 12gb in my system and never did it even use half that. so I pulled some chips out to bring it down to 8gb reduced timings and increased my oc. This gave me a system with plenty of ram and faster speeds. Goodluck.