All the years to come I want you to remember the one man who beat you. Cropels's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default GTX 960 2GB or GTX 960 4GB

Well.. I want to upgrade my GPU really really bad, but I don't know what GPU buy
    I play almost all the time in 1080p. .So I don't know how much difference between those GPUs

Tell me what do you think

The Token Staff Sergeant Master Butters's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

960 4gb would be best, obviously.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck Marrv's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Why 960 over 970?

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Cropels View Post
    Well.. I want to upgrade my GPU really really bad, but I don't know what GPU buy
    I play almost all the time in 1080p. .So I don't know how much difference between those GPUs

Tell me what do you think
    If you have a(n) Core-i5 Series SKU or An AMD 8-Core(I hope not, alot of people i've seen around have bought AMD Proc.'s to save money, but their absolutely terrible) then the GTX 960 4GB(EVGA GTX 960 SSC 4GB is a GREAT card, I have the 2GB variant and I can play a mixture of High/Medium settings w/ HB Ambient Occlusion(and when its in the mood itll get 65+ FPS w/ 2X AA); The only thing that causes me to get the maximum amount of Frames is my Procesor(Intel Core-i3 4330[3.5GHz w/ 4MB L2 Cache @ 54W TDP), That I often tiems think slightly bottleneck it in Grahpics+CPU Intesnive games like BF4/GTA5. So If you have a nicer Processor you should be able to get the most out of it: I've seen most benchmarks easily achieving 60+ FPS w/ VSync on most games(Other than Crysis 3, and 1-2 other synthetic benchmarks)

Don't find fault, find a remedy. -Henry Ford AOD Member AOD_Silencer77's Avatar
    Rank
    Corporal
    Division
    Floater
    Status
    On Leave

I concur with most of what Grady says about CPU bottlenecks, though it can be a bit more complicated than just the processor series. The answer is often dependent on the program's (game's) management of the memory.

That said, there are limitations to how much a very efficiently managed program can help. The 4GB VRAM combined with 128-bit bus will still cripple anything over 1080p. If you ever buy a slightly larger monitor this may frustrate you. The 960 is still the best "bang for your buck."

Here is a conclusion from Steve Burke at Gamers Nexus:

Conclusion: Will Games Use a 4GB GTX 960 Graphics Card?The answer to the “is a 4GB video card worth it?” question is a decidedly boring “it depends.” As above, some games – like ACU – will actually make noteworthy gains with additional memory, while others are completely disinterested in the added capacity. For the most part, games are either optimized in such a fashion that additional VRAM offers no net gain or consume low enough capacities that it is largely irrelevant.

In the few above cases where an added 2GB vastly improves performance, it may be an arguable case that users instead invest in a higher-end GPU altogether, though that becomes a cost analysis argument that is based on the buyer's budgetary situation.

The 4GB GTX 960 ($240) can see noticeable, massive performance gains in the right situations. If you're playing the games that would see advantage from a 4GB card, it's worth considering an additional $30 for the purchase. For those who are interested in less demanding or better optimized titles (Metro, GRID), like some of those tested above, a 2GB Strix card ($210) sees effectively identical and impressive performance compared to the 4GB card.

- Steve “Lelldorianx” Burke.
    Read the full article

In the final analysis, I think you need to consider three things that were not included in your initial question:

1) What are you currently running? This determines the delta in performance you might see.
    2) What is your level of patience like? Saving for a 980 TI would put you in a category so far beyond the 960, let alone 970 series that you won't need to upgrade until Pascal.
    3) Are you willing to wait for Pascal which could radically reduce the price of these cards or bring you so much more for your dollars?

Post GCN article for the AMD Fans: http://www.kitguru.net/components/gr...and-ellesmere/

Nvidia News for the N-Fans: http://wccftech.com/nvidias-gp100-pa...hi-hbm-stacks/

S77 out -

All the years to come I want you to remember the one man who beat you. Cropels's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Grady666 View Post
    If you have a(n) Core-i5 Series SKU or An AMD 8-Core(I hope not, alot of people i've seen around have bought AMD Proc.'s to save money, but their absolutely terrible) then the GTX 960 4GB(EVGA GTX 960 SSC 4GB is a GREAT card, I have the 2GB variant and I can play a mixture of High/Medium settings w/ HB Ambient Occlusion(and when its in the mood itll get 65+ FPS w/ 2X AA); The only thing that causes me to get the maximum amount of Frames is my Procesor(Intel Core-i3 4330[3.5GHz w/ 4MB L2 Cache @ 54W TDP), That I often tiems think slightly bottleneck it in Grahpics+CPU Intesnive games like BF4/GTA5. So If you have a nicer Processor you should be able to get the most out of it: I've seen most benchmarks easily achieving 60+ FPS w/ VSync on most games(Other than Crysis 3, and 1-2 other synthetic benchmarks)

I have an AMD FX 6300 without OC, 8GB of RAM and I usually like to see 100 fps in than games than everything on Ultra (1920x1080) So... if I only play BF4, Metro Redux, GTA and all the Batman Games.
    Do you still recommend me the GTX 960 4GB?
    Or even for this case, go for the 970 2GB FTW

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Cropels View Post
    I have an AMD FX 6300 without OC, 8GB of RAM and I usually like to see 100 fps in than games than everything on Ultra (1920x1080) So... if I only play BF4, Metro Redux, GTA and all the Batman Games.
    Do you still recommend me the GTX 960 4GB?
    Or even for this case, go for the 970 2GB FTW
    100+ FPS, I'd alter my answer to the GTX 970 4GB-

Ditch the shampoo, demand the real poo! Neogreenyew's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you buy a 960 now then you will run into some issues in about a year when new games come out. The problem with the 960 is that it can only use 2GB of its onboard RAM to its full potential. This is why it is not a good idea to run SLI 960. on top of that, if you get a 960 now and realize that it isn't doing the job then you will regret not having spent a bit more money on the 970.

Don't piss me off! I'm running out of places to hide the bodies AOD_OddJob001's Avatar
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

4GB. Textures, textures, textures.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Sargent Horse's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

ASUS 970 if you have the extra little bit to give out.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The 4gb will make a huge difference at higher resolutions, id go for the 4gb personally.