Every waking moment is agony Really Old Man's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

So New Gaming Laptop VS Console for College

So as much as I would like to get a desktop to bring with me, having one in the dorm for my first year of college won't work. Instead, I've been looking into either a Sager gaming laptop or a gaming console. I already have a dinky little laptop that handles my division's game of choice, so the gaming laptop would be for the games that are coming out, i.e Battlefront, Fallout 4, and others.

Here is what I am thinking about purchasing: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8651-...15-p-7690.html

I'd like some second opinions/observations on this here laptop. I'd also like to here your guys thoughts on going with a gaming laptop (since they usually pail in comparison both in price and longevity to a desktop) versus going with a gaming console (most likely the Play Station 4.

Thanks!

PS: I'm open to other laptop suggestions (Budget is no more than 1,400)

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Really Old Man View Post
    So as much as I would like to get a desktop to bring with me, having one in the dorm for my first year of college won't work. Instead, I've been looking into either a Sager gaming laptop or a gaming console. I already have a dinky little laptop that handles my division's game of choice, so the gaming laptop would be for the games that are coming out, i.e Battlefront, Fallout 4, and others.

Here is what I am thinking about purchasing: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8651-...15-p-7690.html

I'd like some second opinions/observations on this here laptop. I'd also like to here your guys thoughts on going with a gaming laptop (since they usually pail in comparison both in price and longevity to a desktop) versus going with a gaming console (most likely the Play Station 4.

Thanks!

PS: I'm open to other laptop suggestions (Budget is no more than 1,400)
    I can tell you this: Gaming on recent/relatively recent laptop will be ALOT better than using a shitty console; Higher Quality textures, PhysX, Tessellation; Much higher quality gaming than ANY console can provide.

Also, why havn't you considered building a mini-ITX(mITX) Rig? Desktop Parts, in a form factor that can get as small as a console- A desktop over everything is my recommendation, but to answer your question: LAPTOP

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Grady666 View Post
    I can tell you this: Gaming on recent/relatively recent laptop will be ALOT better than using a shitty console; Higher Quality textures, PhysX, Tessellation; Much higher quality gaming than ANY console can provide.

Also, why havn't you considered building a mini-ITX(mITX) Rig? Desktop Parts, in a form factor that can get as small as a console- A desktop over everything is my recommendation, but to answer your question: LAPTOP
    Thanks for the answer. I've considered a mini-ITX rig, but I'd go with a laptop due to me having to move around between dorm and home on vacations. I've decided to go with the Sager laptop above, all I'm waiting on is to move in to my dorm and have it shipped there.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for the answer. I've considered a mini-ITX rig, but I'd go with a laptop due to me having to move around between dorm and home on vacations. I've decided to go with the Sager laptop above, all I'm waiting on is to move in to my dorm and have it shipped there.
    Before you go and buy that Sager, letme give you a list of a few great laptops I personally recommend in your price range(MAX $1400, Right?, So itll be MAX $1250 when im choosing the other laptops)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Grady666 View Post
    Before you go and buy that Sager, letme give you a list of a few great laptops I personally recommend in your price range(MAX $1400, Right?, So itll be MAX $1250 when im choosing the other laptops)
    Sure! I'm always open to suggestions!

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Tynich21's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The lenovo Y50 is a great option for a gaming laptop it's pretty thin and I've had it now for about a year and love it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Tynich21 View Post
    The Lenovo Y50 is a great option for a gaming laptop it's pretty thin and I've had it now for about a year and love it.
    Very true, their gaming laptops come in at very competitive price(s) for the hardware the offer, *BUT* They are all limited to a GTX 960M GPU, even their $1200 Model(But it does include a 256GB SSD, 4Th Gen Broadwell Core i7-4720HQ, 4K IPS LCD, ETC), which would be great and something I'd recommend if it had maybe a 970M/980M, but the SSD, 4th Gen Core i7-4720HQ, 4K IPS Panel, all make up that price.

I've been meaning to ask this: But what kind of games do you usually play? Would they be unplayable on any GPU less than a 970M? Because there are ALOT of good laptops w/ SSD+HDD Combo's(SSD OS/Game drive, HDD For Anything, 16GB+ Memory, ETC w/ GTX 965M GPU's.

I think I've found the best laptop your budget can buy(I havn't taken a look at any Boutique PC Company's(IE: Digital Storm, OriginPC, ETC) but I doubt they'd be cheaper than "non-boutique"(Meaning they dont overcharge you and throw their name and logo over everything on the PC, and charge obscene amounts of money for systems that can be bought for $100's less, and built for around 1/2 The price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834233096

Can I have your Tots amRUTHLESS's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

check out the silverstone dvz01 you can build a monster in that just make sure you use a reference nvidia card you need a blower style card for that case.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_amRUTHLESS View Post
    check out the silverstone dvz01 you can build a monster in that just make sure you use a reference nvidia card you need a blower style card for that case.
    Hes ultimately looking for a laptop, I suggested a SFF mITX build to him, but he declined, thats why I was recommending laptops :/

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

ASUS ROG GL551JW-DS71 is an all around great gaming laptop
    Intel Core i7-4720HQ 2.6 GHz Processor
    16 GB DDR3 RAM; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
    1TB HDD Storage; DL DVD±RW/CD-RW
    15.6 inches 1920*1080 pixels LED-lit Screen

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Best gaming laptops out there are: http://pcgamerhome.com/gaming-laptops-under-1000/