Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Fishwithadeagle's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default 75 dollars to crossfire 7870's?

I just wanted to know the experience of some people who had crossfired 7870's in the past. I found a few on craigslist, and was wondering if it would be worth it to crossfire two of them together (I already have one, a 7870 hawk). Opinions?

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Travo's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

As with any multi GPU gaming application, you will only get a performance boost if it is supported within the GPU's drivers. I have 2 R9 290X's that I run in crossfire for battlefield and it is a definite boost in performance over a single card. When I play H1Z1 however, I have to turn crossfire off because it causes more harm than good since it's not a supported game. Crossfire in general is only good if the game is supported within the GPU drivers. Honestly, I use a single card more often than the two in crossfire.

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Fishwithadeagle View Post
    I just wanted to know the experience of some people who had crossfired 7870's in the past. I found a few on craigslist, and was wondering if it would be worth it to crossfire two of them together (I already have one, a 7870 hawk). Opinions?
    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Travo View Post
    As with any multi GPU gaming application, you will only get a performance boost if it is supported within the GPU's drivers. I have 2 R9 290X's that I run in crossfire for battlefield and it is a definite boost in performance over a single card. When I play H1Z1 however, I have to turn crossfire off because it causes more harm than good since it's not a supported game. Crossfire in general is only good if the game is supported within the GPU drivers. Honestly, I use a single card more often than the two in crossfire.
    Like Travo said, For $75, another 7870 is a pretty good deal. It wouldn't hurt, but like he said It's only useful when your playing a game that supports it; If its really used, I wouldn't go for it, but if its in decent condition, then $75 isnt bad at all.
    Now as far as CFX performance in supported games: Its not completely linear, especially after 2 cards; He's pretty much said it all, beat me to it :(

But, even without having to provide benchmarks or Performance gains, you will notice a difference in Playable frame-rates and (If you change it) smoother texture's.