Can I have your Tots DiscoBiscuitz's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon9 GPU Problem?

So the past couple days I got "Display driver has stopped working and has recovered" while playing FireFall. It would try to get back into the game but would then give me blue screen. It hasn't happened again, but now I hear a soft buzzing/hiss noise coming from my GPU (Diamond AMD Radeon HD 7770 Ghz Edition). Could it be a coil wind? Is it bad, and would I need to replace it? Or can I still have it until it just gives? I've tried other games to see if the soft buzzing/hissing would happen but I didn't hear it at all. I'm guessing it's just when I'm playing FF since it's a high end game? While in game I hear it, once I alt+tab it goes away. I play from Low - Medium just to get more fps since it's an okay card. Any help would be appreciated.

This is what I currently run on my PC:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QRkTFT

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Most videocards will make some noise depending on what processing is being done and at which framerate. If it has started making noise doing the same exact task as before where it did not make noise, then check if the card is still under warranty.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hmm. Maybe I never noticed the sound since I just recently switched cases. The fans are much more quiet compared to the others I had before. Maybe the sound was always there? Who knows..

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default GPU Problem?

Yes the noise is the coil on the card. The noise is normal for the Amd 7000 series. It gets worse when the card tries to pump more volt/current through it. The error you are getting is typical of a card that is overclocked to much or not able to get sufficient power.This is caused by either your power supply, motherboard, or video card not able to maintain the proper amount of power to the gpu. You can try upping the power limit of your card to 20% and see if it helps.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ModJPB View Post
    Yes the noise is the coil on the card. The noise is normal for the Amd 7000 series. It gets worse when the card tries to pump more volt/current through it. The error you are getting is typical of a card that is overclocked to much or not able to get sufficient power.This is caused by either your power supply, motherboard, or video card not able to maintain the proper amount of power to the gpu. You can try upping the power limit of your card to 20% and see if it helps.
    Alright, thank you for the info. Should be fine then from what you're telling me.