Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I jimmybrick's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default amd r9 290 vs r9 295 x2

Well my new build is going to big but I can't decide between getting crossfired r9 290's or 1 of the r9 295 x2 cards with a view to getting a second 295 x2 when finances come available my question is this. Does having 2 gpus on one card risk over cooking the card

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Scipio's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I think you'd be better off with Nvidia 980s in SLI. They perform better than the 295 and are also cheaper and take less power.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Avoid SLI unless you plan to do 4K gaming. Right now an R9 290x, or a GTX 980 will max out any current game at 1440p with no problem, and by the time it starts to have issues, the price of a second R9 290x or GTX 980, will be significantly cheaper. Or if you are quick to upgrade and sell old stuff, you can sell older high end cards as soon as the new generation comes out (before the card loses a lot of its value).

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yeah but I'm hoping to build into a mountain mods extended ascension case so it would look rather empty in the window without a sli or crossfire

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Scipio's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Maybe fit in a dedicated audio card, or a weaker auxiliary GPU for video processing?

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Stiakas's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Weel I'd go with an Nvidia one last year I attemped to go for the first time with AMD and I am sooo dissapointed unfortunently I cant afford getting an Nvidia one and replacing this piece of crap which is the R9 280x.The r9 280x performs really good but the drivers man they suck.I can play every game at very very good settings but still they will crash cause of the fucking drivers I don't approve buying an AMD card but that's your choice.If I were you I would go for the gtx 980

Knee High to a Worms Ass sudoBacon's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_jimmybrick View Post
    Well my new build is going to big but I can't decide between getting crossfired r9 290's or 1 of the r9 295 x2 cards with a view to getting a second 295 x2 when finances come available my question is this. Does having 2 gpus on one card risk over cooking the card
    I use a Sapphire R9 270 dual x only one with 16 GB's of system ram and an ASUS R9 SABERTOOTH 2.0 mobo and no lag at all.

My rigs specs

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
    CPU: AMD 8350 FX @ 4 GHz
    RAM: 16 GB's
    Disk Drives: 3 2x TB SSHDS (Solid State Hybrid Drives)
    Fans: 6 X 120 mm with orange led lights :)
    Case: Corsair full window case

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yeah but I'm hoping to build into a mountain mods extended ascension case so it would look rather empty in the window without a sli or crossfire
    So you are doing this because of aesthetics and dont care that there is no game on the market that will even need this. Want to trade bank accounts?

Back to your original question. A better single card will offer better compatability and on average greater performance than sli and crossfire which can be hit or miss sometimes.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ModJPB View Post
    So you are doing this because of aesthetics and dont care that there is no game on the market that will even need this. Want to trade bank accounts?

Back to your original question. A better single card will offer better compatability and on average greater performance than sli and crossfire which can be hit or miss sometimes.
    Lol I know it's not about the money I'm doing it with my annual bonus so it's money I would never have had anyway it's just my current build is at the end of its life and time for bigger and better I've always wanted a full water build and admittedly I think water cooling a single card looks silly. Also I'm recently divorced and my ex use to hate me spending money on computer parts. So this is like a bit of a fuck you omage to my ex lol

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Lol I know it's not about the money I'm doing it with my annual bonus so it's money I would never have had anyway it's just my current build is at the end of its life and time for bigger and better I've always wanted a full water build and admittedly I think water cooling a single card looks silly. Also I'm recently divorced and my ex use to hate me spending money on computer parts. So this is like a bit of a fuck you omage to my ex lol
    LOL, now I understand. Well if you are doing water cooling and looking to take up room and look impressive you could always put a huge monster of a radiator(s) in it t. This way you could still cool your equipment but run the fans at much lower speed so the PC can be nice and quiet.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Battlepantie's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default amd r9 290 vs r9 295 x2

Or you can go mineral oil and fish tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_BritishBob's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

If 'm honest, two 290 x2 will perform better at stock clocks than four 290s. Internal bridges, in my experience, seem to work better than the external ones. The only thing with the dual card are temps limiting overclocking. But with card like those stock clocks tend to be good enough for everything other than the really intense games.